Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 08:51 PM

2,641 posts, read 1,175,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'd rather be fat, because that can be changed with hard work and discipline, while baldness cannot.
I think some of that depends on age and hereditary traits in some people if not most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 06:39 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,398,938 times
Those both show that baldness is an INDICATOR (not a trigger or cause) of potential health issues.

If you shave your head, you'll be bald. There's nothing about being bald that will cause you to have a heart attack, stroke, or your lower body not being capable of supporting the weight of the rest of your body, thus resulting in strains, sprains, and broken knees.

Some people suffer from alopecia, sometimes caused by previous illness, sometimes genetic. Most bald old guys continue to be bald, and continue to be alive, and bald, and old. Many of them outlive their hoary counterparts. Many do not.

There is nothing about "not having hair on your head" that causes or triggers health problems.

There is a LOT about being obese that causes or triggers health problems and in fact, obesity itself IS a health problem. Lack of hair - is not a health problem, because hair is not a medically necessary thing on the scalp. It's 100% healthy to choose to be bald. It's 100% unhealthy to choose to be obese.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:39 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
I'd rather be fat, because that can be changed with hard work and discipline, while baldness cannot.
Tell that to all the men----LOTS of movie stars---who wear wigs or hair pieces.

Even Dean Koontz the famous author. I wondered for years how he had such child-like full hair.

My dad, after an adult lifetime of baldness, got a toupee at age 55. Sure changed him.

What I want to know is, how are people paying for this? I looked it up and it's like $900 a month. Insurance only covers it if it's for diabetes, according to what I read....

Old 01-11-2024, 02:51 PM

256 posts, read 114,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I looked it up and it's like $900 a month. Insurance only covers it if it's for diabetes, according to what I read....
Only $900? I heard over a thousand.

Anyways, I checked with both my insurance companies, and neither will reimburse any of it, if it's for weight loss.

Old 01-11-2024, 03:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Yes. I was bald for several months when I was getting chemo for cancer, and I was fine with being bald to save my life. There are many ways to lose weight, most require a certain amount of work, and will power.
Taking a miracle drug to burn fat is not worth those side effects to me.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:56 PM

30,324 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I'd say stop taking those drugs immediately, eat less, and move more. Solved.
Except for the whole... ya know... diabetes part, which is what it ACTUALLY treats. My A1C and glucose levels are normal now, thanks to Ozempic, after 47 years of fighting the disease.

Also, anyone who believes ANYTHING about fighting obesity or diabetes is "simple" is the simple(minded) one. Ask any doctor, and they'll confirm it's an extremely complex matter. So many factors come into play, both psychological and genetic/physiological. If it was really that easy to solve, nobody would be fat. I'm going to guess you haven't fought obesity? Do you know what the term "food noise" means?

Old 01-11-2024, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Can it cure diabetes, though? Even when I was thin I was still diabetic - now I'm not, thanks to Ozempic.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I'm assuming these wonderful drugs are for weight loss?

It's like watching tv and a wonderful new drug is being advertised... birds are singing, the person taking said pills is smiling and has lots of friends and is obviously doing well.

Then they have this voice intrude talking fast... side effects may include vomiting, diarrhea, migranes, heart murmurs, feelings of wanting to stab your lovely neighbor you know the one who is driving the new BMW...
They're for diabetes, initially; the weight loss is just a possible side effect.

I've been on Ozempic for about 8 months now, and it's been a literal lifesaver. My diabetes is GONE, along with almost 70lbs of unwanted fat. I feel fine, too, aside from a little stomach upset here & there; but once you learn your triggers, that's easy enough to avoid.

And I have all of my hair still, in fact I could stand to have a bit less.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What I want to know is, how are people paying for this? I looked it up and it's like $900 a month. Insurance only covers it if it's for diabetes, according to what I read....
We have (or had) diabetes. My insurance covers it with a copay of only $10/month.

And honestly, if it didn't I'd pay out of pocket. I can afford it (good job no kids), and certainly more than I could afford to continue the yo-yo weight issues and diabetes. There are also less expensive options, like using the compounded version, joining a trial, or buying from outside of the US.

Old 01-22-2024, 02:09 PM

4,179 posts, read 5,058,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
Only $900? I heard over a thousand...
It depends on how much work/maintenance you want to do at home. If you've got a personal stylist, doing weekly or daily touch-up's, then yes, it can run that much (or more). Otherwise:

A good piece = $2500, and usually lasts 18 months.
Salon maintenance @ 6 weeks, $95 per visit.
Home supplies = $100 per year.

Which all averages out to ~ $220 / month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness