Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 10:49 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times

Advertisements

That's like the Jimmy Cliff song where he says "I'd rather be a free man in my grave than living as a puppet or a slave."

Neither! Probably bald because fatness is difficult to reverse and very hard on your health.

I know a woman taking Ozempic. She hasn't lost any hair to date, a couple years into use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 11:03 AM

9,982 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Well I'm both, so there's that.

I figure if women think the likes of The Rock or Jason Stratham are attractive, baldness isn't a deal-breaker. It may be a tie-breaker, but not necessarily a deal-breaker. Similarly, if you have an ugly face, having a full mop of hair above that ugly face isn't much of an enhancer.

I haven't always been fat or bald. And as my hair got thinner, the amount of attention I got from the ladies didn't wane much. By contrast, as my waistline expanded, interest from women diminished in near-exact proportion.

So in my case, it would be Ozempic FTW... except I'm sure there will be a whole raft of long-term side effects that will eventually show up over time. So I'll pass for now.

Old 01-05-2024, 01:11 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I'm assuming these wonderful drugs are for weight loss?

It's like watching tv and a wonderful new drug is being advertised... birds are singing, the person taking said pills is smiling and has lots of friends and is obviously doing well.

Then they have this voice intrude talking fast... side effects may include vomiting, diarrhea, migranes, heart murmurs, feelings of wanting to stab your lovely neighbor you know the one who is driving the new BMW...
Mounjaro is prescribed for diabetes. My doctor put me on it several months ago and it seems to be helping. I experience a slight loss of appetite (which is just as well, given that I'm overweight) but otherwise nothing bad. At one point she upped the dosage and the side effects were noticeably worse (mainly involving nausea and potty issues), so I requested a lower dosage. It still seems to be doing its job.

And yeah, I love those ads showing happy people living happy lives while the voice-over sounds like something that the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse might say. They're the very definition of the word incongruous.

Old 01-05-2024, 01:22 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
LOL...just saw this on MSN:

Weight loss drugs Ozempic and Wegovy may not increase thoughts of suicide

It's just funny that this comes out today after the original article in the OP.
That's the nowadays Internet misinformation we have to deal with. Whatever you Google you will get results making opposite statements.

Now they are even saying that:
Quote:
People taking the popular diabetes and obesity drugs Ozempic and Wegovy had a lower risk of suicidal thoughts than those taking other medications to treat the same conditions, a new federal study finds.
Go figure...

So, why is FDA investigating it? To make harder to get a prescription?

Last edited by elnina; 01-05-2024 at 01:31 PM..

Old 01-05-2024, 01:27 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Bald--I would not have to style my hair any longer. I could just wear a wig.

Old 01-05-2024, 02:13 PM

256 posts, read 115,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
LOL...just saw this on MSN:

Weight loss drugs Ozempic and Wegovy may not increase thoughts of suicide

It's just funny that this comes out today after the original article in the OP.
Thanks for posting this article. It's so much more probable than the other one.

Quote:
The findings are in line with what doctors say they have generally observed with patients on semaglutide. The drugs work so well so quickly, especially for people trying to lose weight, that mood is generally positive — at least in the short-term.

"If you've been trying your whole life to lose weight and nothing's ever worked, and you're depressed about it, and then all of a sudden you start taking a medication that's making moves," said Dr. Shauna Levy, medical director of the Tulane Weight Loss Center in New Orleans, who was not involved with the new study, "your spirits are going to be lifted."

Old 01-05-2024, 02:34 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
That's the nowadays Internet misinformation we have to deal with. Whatever you Google you will get results making opposite statements.

Now they are even saying that:

Go figure...

So, why is FDA investigating it? To make harder to get a prescription?
Information does change fast in today's world!

Conflicting information may make it harder for an investigation to work...or to provide accurate results.

I do know there appear to be many counterfeits out there.

Old 01-05-2024, 02:44 PM

256 posts, read 115,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Bald--I would not have to style my hair any longer. I could just wear a wig.
"People always ask me how long it takes to do my hair. I don't know, I'm never there." ~ Dolly Parton

Old 01-06-2024, 09:15 AM

3,439 posts, read 2,414,310 times
Yeah - hair is purely a vanity thing - a person can wear a wig, or a scarf or hat or beanie if they don't want to be bald.

Being overweight comes with health risks. Being bald doesn't. I'd rather be bald. But - I still won't be taking meds to lose weight. I'd like to take as few pills as possible for as long as possible. My mom was taking something like 20 different pills throughout the day for all her medical problems until she died last October (at age 87). Right now I still take 1 pill to sleep, 1 thyroid replacement pill, and 1 spritz of antihistimine in my nose every day. I take one other pill once a week to slow down the damage caused by osteoporosis. Sometimes, if there's just TOO much stress (like when mom died) I'll take half of a prescribed dose of xanax. If I get 10 of those pills prescribed every year, I'd probably have 1 or 2 left over before my next RX is due.

Old 01-06-2024, 09:24 AM

1,140 posts, read 617,266 times
Just an observation:

Society on the whole accepts bald men as okay, but when they see bald women it's strange or unattractive.

For the longest time, bald men use to be "unattractive". Then in 1989 Michael Jordan decided to shave his dome completely because of a receding hair line. He basically made it "okay" for men to sport the bald look.

Sinead O'conner had the bald look in the 80s, but she was a bit of a rebel and it fit her aesthetics. It didn't catch on with other women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness