Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 04:56 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times

Advertisements

I could not tolerate statins, due to very bad muscle aches....I now take ezetimibe...no side effects, however doctor wants me to try statins again, in addation to ezetimibe, to lower even more. I don`t think so. Iam 69.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 05:14 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,333 times
You have to take it one step at a time. If one has side effects then they have side effects. The context of the thread is people questioning having to take them because of possible side effects. They haven't tried them. They can't say they stopped taking them because of side effects.

There are many, many, many statin studies from many different sources. It has been the most widely studied drug in modern history.

If you want to disregard studies then that is your option and your fall back will then have to be word of mouth or personal anecdotes. If you are comfortable with that then it is your body. No one will force you to take anything.

After somebody experiences a stroke they might look into medications treating it to see if they read any side effects they don't like then they have the option of refusing it and trying holistic treatments for stroke.

One has to live with the consequences of their actions or inactions. I have been on statins for many years, at least 20. When I first started I had an upset stomach and didn't like it. Told him it was not acceptable and I would rather stop. He tried another and it wasn't upsetting my stomach and I stayed with it for years until it was withdrawn from the market due to rare deaths. If I had died from it then I wouldn't have a problem with it. The odds were in my favor though. I had to switch to another and it has not upset my stomach. Rosuvastatin. It is only 5 mg and every other day at that, but my total cholesterol went from 286 down to 159.

I do what I do so I can tell family if I become incapacitated to the point they have to care for me that I did everything I could to prevent it. My decision impacts them. Family tries to find out how and why it happened and if they find out that I refused a simple drug that might have made a difference in preventing that burden on them then I would be reminded of that with every action they do in helping me.

Old 12-31-2023, 07:19 PM

14,936 posts, read 12,132,451 times
I have taken 20 mg of simvastatin daily for many years. No side effects that I can ascertain. My cholesterol isn't super low ( stays around 170-180 mg but climbs to well over 220 if I stop taking it. My other lipids are within acceptable ranges. I also use diet and exercise to help keep these, as well as other medical conditions, under better control.

Contrary to what the medical establishment naysayers claim, my doctors have encouraged the lifestyle activities to keep things as healthy as they can be.

Old 12-31-2023, 09:31 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
I have been on 40 mg atorvastatin for about 10 years. No side effects. My PCP prescribed this. He says I can stop taking it for a while if I need to.

Old 12-31-2023, 09:58 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,417,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I have tinnitus, so I'm super careful about medications, and always look at all the drug studies before taking anything new. This takes a lot of research, you have to look closely to see who is conducting the studies and how many participants they have from what age groups. A couple of doctors wanted to put me on Atorvastatin, a drug that is known to cause/increase tinnitus. I wouldn't do it and found a different doctor who put me on Rosuvastatin, which is the one statin I found that had no issues w/ tinnitus.

My initial dosage was 10 mg and that had me in the bathroom all the time w/ diarrhea. I had it switched to 5 mg and had no problems the first month. Now I'm having diarrhea again, but its not as bad as that first statin. I haven't had my labs done yet, so don't know if its working to lower my cholesterol.

Statins are nasty drugs. A lot of people discontinue them within the first few months due to the side effects. Age and medical conditions determine whether a doctor wants to put a patient on them, but I'm looking to find a different way to deal w/ my high cholesterol. You can only address so much w/ diet, so some other form of medication is in my future.

Just because a drug has been studied a lot has zero to do w/ whether or not someone can put up w/ its side effects. And as someone who used to correlate data on drug studies for research companies, everything about a drug study depends on how it is put together. You can put two studies together using exactly the same parameters w/ the same drug and come to two different conclusions, especially if a drug manufacturer is paying for that study, LOL.

By the way, a doctor from 40 years ago is responsible for my tinnitus. I had a bad cold along w/ a sinus infection and they put me on some heavy duty antibiotics. I went back to them three different times because of the ringing in my ears. This quack said don't worry about it, that will go away when you stop taking the antibiotics. Long story story, it did NOT go away and it never will. Tinnitus is almost always permanent, and there is no cure or treatment for it. Now I know that the only person who is in charge of my health is me, and I do the work to always check everything out.
Yes completely agree, the studies showing statin side effects are imaginary are probably contrived to show just that. Statins are nasty, and the large percentage who get side effects are not delusional, as the drug industry wants you to believe.

You are right to not trust the medical industry, it has very little understanding or concern about how complex the body is and how precarious health can be. We have to do our own research.

High cholesterol can be genetic and can require drugs, but most of the time it is not. Usually it's the modern industrial lifestyle that causes metabolic syndrome, which is caused by a high carbohydrate diet and no physical exericse. Either that or cigarette smoking.

Make sure your diet is low carb, high fiber and high protein, and make sure you get enough exercise. No, the recommended 20 minutes three times a week is not nearly enough to reverse or prevent metabolic syndrome.

Old 12-31-2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
You have to take it one step at a time. If one has side effects then they have side effects. The context of the thread is people questioning having to take them because of possible side effects. They haven't tried them. They can't say they stopped taking them because of side effects.

There are many, many, many statin studies from many different sources. It has been the most widely studied drug in modern history.

If you want to disregard studies then that is your option and your fall back will then have to be word of mouth or personal anecdotes. If you are comfortable with that then it is your body. No one will force you to take anything.

After somebody experiences a stroke they might look into medications treating it to see if they read any side effects they don't like then they have the option of refusing it and trying holistic treatments for stroke.

One has to live with the consequences of their actions or inactions. I have been on statins for many years, at least 20. When I first started I had an upset stomach and didn't like it. Told him it was not acceptable and I would rather stop. He tried another and it wasn't upsetting my stomach and I stayed with it for years until it was withdrawn from the market due to rare deaths. If I had died from it then I wouldn't have a problem with it. The odds were in my favor though. I had to switch to another and it has not upset my stomach. Rosuvastatin. It is only 5 mg and every other day at that, but my total cholesterol went from 286 down to 159.

I do what I do so I can tell family if I become incapacitated to the point they have to care for me that I did everything I could to prevent it. My decision impacts them. Family tries to find out how and why it happened and if they find out that I refused a simple drug that might have made a difference in preventing that burden on them then I would be reminded of that with every action they do in helping me.
Did you ever think about trying to improve your lifestyle? It doesn't work over night, and takes time and some effort. But it's a heck a lot better than relying on drugs that screw up the body in unknown and unforeseeable ways.

Old 12-31-2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I have taken 20 mg of simvastatin daily for many years. No side effects that I can ascertain. My cholesterol isn't super low ( stays around 170-180 mg but climbs to well over 220 if I stop taking it. My other lipids are within acceptable ranges. I also use diet and exercise to help keep these, as well as other medical conditions, under better control.

Contrary to what the medical establishment naysayers claim, my doctors have encouraged the lifestyle activities to keep things as healthy as they can be.
They probably recommended a low fat low cholesterol diet and a minimal amount of exercise. That's why you still need drugs.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:56 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Like all medicine there are pluses and minuses reported. You make your own judgement. Doctors monitor you and work with you for the right solution.
Statins work great for me. I've taken them for 30+ years. Right now on Simvastatin and never had any problems.

Old 01-01-2024, 01:26 AM

1,147 posts, read 861,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Did you ever think about trying to improve your lifestyle? It doesn't work over night, and takes time and some effort. But it's a heck a lot better than relying on drugs that screw up the body in unknown and unforeseeable ways.
It's never solely medications. I don't know of any doctor who just puts patients on medications and never mentions lifestyle.

I have been prediabetic for decades and control it with watching what I eat and exercising. The statin I take is the lowest concentration on the market and only one tablet every other day. All my medications are at the lowest concentration on the market.

The older one gets the worse it gets because of the biological changes that occur on the body.

Old 01-01-2024, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
It's never solely medications. I don't know of any doctor who just puts patients on medications and never mentions lifestyle.

I have been prediabetic for decades and control it with watching what I eat and exercising. The statin I take is the lowest concentration on the market and only one tablet every other day. All my medications are at the lowest concentration on the market.

The older one gets the worse it gets because of the biological changes that occur on the body.
Prediabetes (metabolic syndrome) is ENTIRELY the result of the modern lifestyle. Doctors can MENTION lifestyle, but they seldom know what lifestyle is best for reversing or preventing metabolic syndrome.

This syndrome does NOT naturally occur and does NOT naturally get worse with age. More glucose is entering muscle cells than what is needed, and the mitochondria get overwhelmed. The cells begin to resist insulin, which results in high blood insulin levels. Enough exercise every day can prevent this. And avoiding carbohydrates. Anyone who has the tendency for prediabetes needs to do this, and the medical industry is non-holistic and does not understand. They will recommend very little exercise, and a low fat low cholesterol diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness