Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2023, 07:47 PM

142 posts, read 200,898 times

Advertisements

I dream so much it is like a movie reel playing all night in my sleep! My question is this:
Is this restful sleep or would it interfere with getting good restful sleep? Anybody know any researchon this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2023, 10:33 PM

21,555 posts, read 8,737,989 times
I'm no sleep expert, but I believe that dreaming only happens when you are in the REM stage of sleep, which is the deepest. So no, vivid dreams don't mean you are not getting good sleep.

I know exactly what you mean about those "movie reel" types of dreams. It's like a different story every night, starring you. When you wake up, you realize that the things that seemed perfectly normal and logical during the dream don't make any sense at all. I actually look forward to my nightly journeys into the realm of the subconscious mind.

Old 12-26-2023, 10:40 PM

7,165 posts, read 4,567,553 times
You only dream in deep sleep. When I developed sleep apnea I quit dreaming where previously I had very vivid frequent dreams. Once I got on a cpap machine they came back. I have read that even though it feels like our dreams are long in reality they are short and we don’t dream all night long.

Old 12-27-2023, 06:29 PM

It does seem like one long dream or one right after another at night. They usually aren't bad dreams but are very real. Of course like most dreams they don't make much sense and I sometimes get to visit with people who have passed away, which is nice. I heard dreaming is good for your mental health.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:36 PM

44,375 posts, read 20,083,252 times
Numerous online sources state that people can dream at any time during their sleep.
Quote:
Dreams can happen during any stage of sleep, but the vivid ones that you remember tend to happen during REM sleep.
https://www.healthline.com/health/sl...ring-rem-sleep

It appears dreaming - or lack thereof - has no effect on the quality of your sleep.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-27-2023, 11:21 PM

44,642 posts, read 61,669,787 times
Heck I dream even when I'm awake. My sleep dreams are always nightmares.

Old 12-31-2023, 05:19 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,004,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Heck I dream even when I'm awake. My sleep dreams are always nightmares.
Yeah my sleep dreams tend to be repetitive in that fact, usually situations that are beyond control.
I will tend to dream more during holiday periods, or on weekends, where I’m not having to wake up ultra early to an alarm clock.
Whether dreams signify better quality of sleep, I’m not so sure about.

Old 12-31-2023, 06:05 PM

Well, thank goodness mine are not nightmares! They are just mostly nice little stories that go on all night. Of course sometimes they are really bizarre and they reflect on the things that bother me in waking hours. i.e. Maybe I'm late for something and I'm trying to get ready (I've always hated deadlines) or I've shown up at an important place with no shoes on, etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness