Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 02:26 PM

1,867 posts, read 881,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
If so it hasn't affected his ability to read critically and not just post political crap knee-jerk reactions.

Yep, that dingleberry has been on my ignore list for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 02:28 PM

7,521 posts, read 3,231,998 times
What I learned from dying (twice now) is that it is important to be resolved in all your relationships every day. Say what needs to be said and do what needs to be done all the time. This is especially true for your relationship with the big guy. Other than that prepare, prepare, prepare. Get your legal documents in order. Prepare to evacuate from a wildfire (same as prepping for your death).

Old 12-27-2023, 02:34 PM

My brother-in-law died suddenly in the beginning of the year, a few weeks short of his 60th birthday. He'd had some swelling and pain in one leg for a few days, but he was an athletic trainer so he thought he'd just pulled a muscle. He was taking a shower and suddenly couldn't breathe. His wife watched him die right in front of her on the floor in the bathroom. It was a pulmonary embolism. She's glad she was there, but now she has PTSD about the bathroom and won't take a shower in there anymore.

Old 12-27-2023, 02:59 PM

2,027 posts, read 983,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
My brother-in-law died suddenly in the beginning of the year, a few weeks short of his 60th birthday. He'd had some swelling and pain in one leg for a few days, but he was an athletic trainer so he thought he'd just pulled a muscle. He was taking a shower and suddenly couldn't breathe. His wife watched him die right in front of her on the floor in the bathroom. It was a pulmonary embolism. She's glad she was there, but now she has PTSD about the bathroom and won't take a shower in there anymore.
Oh that's horrible, I'm so sorry.

Old 12-27-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Oh that's horrible, I'm so sorry.

Thanks. He was a really cool guy. The holidays this year sucked without him.

Old 12-27-2023, 03:47 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Thanks. He was a really cool guy. The holidays this year sucked without him.
I'm really sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what a shock that must have been to all of you. I hope your SIL is doing o.k., I can't blame her one bit for staying out of that bathroom.

Old 12-27-2023, 05:02 PM

7,521 posts, read 3,231,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
LOL, sudden death has been happening since time began
Yeah, but, it's different when someone realizes it could easily be them. It takes time to come to terms with that and then still go about life as if there is endless time making plans and such. If I have 20 more years that will be a Lot.

Old 12-27-2023, 05:19 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
LOL, sudden death has been happening since time began
Not in these numbers or in so many young people. So have respiratory viruses "been happening forever," but I guess it's okay to get hysterical about that...

Old 12-27-2023, 06:12 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Sudden death? So many factors involved in when one may die, I don't spend time thinking about it. I know I have seen younger people (less than 50) in the obits lately, more so than ever. That doesn't trouble me, as I passed that age some time ago. Wouldn't sudden death possibly include suicides and drug overdoses? Add obesity, and unhealthy lifestyles so the younger people would not be concerned about death, so ignore what might be triggering a sudden death. Also, the planet is not so healthy either.

Our neighbor had a double knee replacement, and family history was not in play when she had a heart attack right after. She has had 2 operations, and is wheel chair bound and facing another surgery to try to get her up and walking again. Her husband said she almost died twice now. She is only 50 years old. Had she died after the heart attack, no heart problems previous to the surgery, would that be sudden death? The last time I saw her, I was surprised looking that way that she was still alive.

OK, so how is "sudden death" defined?

"Sudden death is defined as a natural, unexpected fatal event occurring within 1h from the onset of symptoms, in an apparently healthy subject, or in one whose disease was not so severe to predict such an abrupt outcome."

Old 12-27-2023, 06:46 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
What I learned from dying (twice now) is that it is important to be resolved in all your relationships every day. Say what needs to be said and do what needs to be done all the time. This is especially true for your relationship with the big guy. Other than that prepare, prepare, prepare. Get your legal documents in order. Prepare to evacuate from a wildfire (same as prepping for your death).
Good advice. Got the will/advance directive/POA done this year. Never had to evacuate from a wildfire, but I've twice run out of a building from terrorist attacks. Same mentality. Know where the exits are, and wear shoes you can run in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness