Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 07:13 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Lol, I'm not quite ready for the "she's so OLD" designation.

But who is?
LOL! I remember my grandmother telling me that "Old Lady Smith" next door had died. Old Lady Smith was 80. My grandmother was 75 at the time (she would make it to 94).

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-27-2023 at 07:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 07:28 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
"Safe and effective!"

Old 12-27-2023, 07:42 AM

2,027 posts, read 983,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Safe and effective!"
Oh please, nice try.
The quoted article is about 10+ year old data.

Old 12-27-2023, 07:51 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Oh please, nice try.
The quoted article is about 10+ year old data.
I'm not referring to this article.

We all know that people - especially "young, healthy" people - are inexplicably suddenly collapsing or dropping dead from cardiac and clotting/stroke events like never before, and a good number of us think we know why.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:06 AM

2,027 posts, read 983,695 times
Quote:

We all know that people - especially "young, healthy" people - are inexplicably suddenly collapsing or dropping dead from cardiac and clotting/stroke events like never before, and a good number of us think we know why.
Then it's a post hijack. This particular study is what the OP posted.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:12 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL! I remember my grandmother telling me that "Old Lady Smith" next door had died. Old Lady Smith was 80. My grandmother was 75 at the time (she would make it to 94).
Some 80 year olds are older than other 80 year olds are. Your grandmother was a young 75 year old and she was probably still active and independent when she was 80.

I remember being in college and thinking how ancient 50 seemed. I couldn't imagine myself ever being that old. Now that I'm pushing 60, I realize how young 50 still is.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:20 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,271,154 times
Quote:
Some 80 year olds are older than other 80 year olds are. Your grandmother was a young 75 year old and she was probably still active and independent when she was 80.

I remember being in college and thinking how ancient 50 seemed. I couldn't imagine myself ever being that old. Now that I'm pushing 60, I realize how young 50 still is.
There's a whole lotta truth in that.
I know a few 80s at Planet Fitness. And I know a few more who don't go to a gym. I know a 90s who doesn't go to a gym because she is too busy maintaining her 10 acres - uses a chainsaw, sometimes, although she recently bought herself an electric one.

"Too old to die young"...... I love that phrase.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:31 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

A few years ago, at 51, one of my younger brothers began to experience swelling in his lower legs. He went to the doctor, who ran a bunch of tests and found that my brother has a weak heart muscle, a muscle that pushes the blood back out of the heart (I am not a medical person so I don't know the correct term for it.) There's no surgery to help it, just medication that strengthens the muscle action and diet, primarily low-sodium, healthier food choices. The doctor said it's likely genetic. We can only guess that this is what killed the males so early in my dad's family.
Sounds like congestive heart failure. It's relatively common, and most of the time these cases are environmental rather than genetic. OTOH, it's definitely possible to inherit a greater risk from your parents.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:22 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
The weird thing is of the sudden deaths that I'm aware of, a good many of them were healthy, even youngish people.

Look at people like Keith Richards (love him!) who has looked like he's been cheating death for decades compared to John Ritter who looked like he still had plenty of years left on this planet.

There have been healthy marathon runners who have dropped dead. Life can be really random.
This. The cases I know of involved people who were strong as oxen, and still in what could be called the prime of life. Maybe in the later-phase prime, but still young and very productive: pillars of their community on whom many people depended.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:24 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:

"We all know that people...like never before..."

I don't know any more people who have suddenly died since covid than before covid (unless they died from covid).

But if you'd like to show us actual data...we'll wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness