Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 12:46 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Random thought: Nature may have little interest in human beings longevity once they have reproduced the next generation and that generation is self-sufficient. So maybe death over the age of 45 in a non-event...unless it's your death or someone you love.

Researching my and husbands family cause of death is my 2024 goal now.
I've done genealogy research in previous years on familysearch.org and just noticed his male line is short-lived (40-50s), his father grew up with grandmother because father-mother both died, now he needs to find cause of death to see if it may improve his chances for longer life. He's 75 and doing fine.
Repped. Fact is evolution is brutal and natural selection includes a rather high mortality rate. Plus though we don't interbreed like we used to we have more and more inferior genetic specimens breeding. Regardless, people are going to drop dead for seemingly no reason. No depopulation conspiracies required.

Unless the fatalities are causing a threat to the extinction of our species which doesn't appear to be the case humans basically can't accept the fact that nature is cold and savage and basically amoral. You can try to create a story around it like vaccines or inflammation from a bad diet or exercising too much and there may be even a certain level of truth to this but in the end sometimes genetic defects crop up that we still don't completely understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2023, 01:51 PM

2,027 posts, read 985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Plus though we don't interbreed like we used to we have more and more inferior genetic specimens breeding.
Literally what the?????

Old 12-26-2023, 01:58 PM

7,522 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Dang. Makes you realize that we better live and enjoy life while we have it.

Oh, Springfieldva dropped dead? Okay, well, not surprising as she Was Old. LOL.

Old 12-26-2023, 05:32 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,709,719 times
It happened to a co-worker of mine in 2010, he was only 53 and in good health. All of a sudden, his body just stopped working. It took a few hours, but many of his organs failed and he died. I never did hear a "cause of death". It was all very surreal.

Old 12-26-2023, 07:26 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Repped. Fact is evolution is brutal and natural selection includes a rather high mortality rate. Plus though we don't interbreed like we used to we have more and more inferior genetic specimens breeding. Regardless, people are going to drop dead for seemingly no reason. No depopulation conspiracies required.

Unless the fatalities are causing a threat to the extinction of our species which doesn't appear to be the case humans basically can't accept the fact that nature is cold and savage and basically amoral. You can try to create a story around it like vaccines or inflammation from a bad diet or exercising too much and there may be even a certain level of truth to this but in the end sometimes genetic defects crop up that we still don't completely understand.
Interbreeding like we used to have? I don't know about you, but I've never known any human to actually produce a baby by breeding with a different species or genus. Homo sapiens sapiens has been around for a minute or two, and we're not going anywhere any time soon.

Old 12-26-2023, 09:58 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Lp A could be a factor with sudden death.

“…When he awoke, Mr. Harper was baffled, as were his doctors. His annual medical checkups had indicated he was in excellent health. How could this have happened to someone seemingly so healthy?

The culprit, in turned out, was a fatty particle in the blood called lipoprotein(a). While doctors routinely test for other lipoproteins like HDL and LDL cholesterol, few test for lipoprotein(a), also known as lp(a), high levels of which triple the risk of having a heart attack or stroke at an early age…â€

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/w...=headline&te=1

Old 12-27-2023, 12:47 AM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Oh, Springfieldva dropped dead? Okay, well, not surprising as she Was Old. LOL.
Lol, I'm not quite ready for the "she's so OLD" designation.

But who is?

Old 12-27-2023, 06:27 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Yes there have. Of course, the sudden cardiac death rate for this group is far less than the average for the population overall.
The deaths of two physicians we knew got my attention.

One was fifty-six and out running when he apparently fell over and died of a heart attack. One irony of his death was that he commented more than once how unfortunate my wife is to have insulin dependent diabetes. (she is currently sixty-three and doing well)

Another was one I knew from the clinic I went too. He was a really nice doctor that everyone liked with a great bedside manner. He was fifty-four and went to bed one night and just never woke up. His wife apparently said he had complained about trouble sleeping for a few days, but that was about it.

These things happen. Although, its far more common people will ignore warning signs like chest pain, sudden difficulty breathing, or severe headaches and believe its just a "passing phase".

Old 12-27-2023, 06:38 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The weird thing is of the sudden deaths that I'm aware of, a good many of them were healthy, even youngish people.

Look at people like Keith Richards (love him!) who has looked like he's been cheating death for decades compared to John Ritter who looked like he still had plenty of years left on this planet.

There have been healthy marathon runners who have dropped dead. Life can be really random.
I've always found the phenomenon interesting. I remember when I was young the friend of a friend dropped dead at 23 while playing basketball. There were other cases like that I heard of over the years, a kid playing football in school, then mostly people older than that in their 30s, 40s, 50s. One was a guy I worked with, an athlete, very anti-smoking, was the coach for the basketball teams for his three daughters. I came into work one day and learned that he woke up in the middle of the night having trouble breathing. His wife called 911 and he was dead by the time they got there. 52.

When I attended my 40-year high school reunion in 2016, I found that the 26-year-old son of a classmate had visited them, then caught the bus back to his military base. The military called them. He had died on the bus. Previously-undetected heart defect. They were devastated, as one would imagine.

I once read an article about this. The author postulated that the people who die from these early deaths are the ones who in an earlier era would not have made it to adulthood because they are born weaker in some way or have a hidden defect. A number of children before the early part of the 20th century didn't survive when waves of sickness came through simply because they were not as physically strong and healthy as their siblings. With better nutrition and medical care, they make it now, but they still have those hidden weaknesses, and they die earlier than their counterparts.

In some cases, we learn what the weaknesses are. When my father turned sixty, he declared, "Well, I made it!" I said, "What?" He laughed and said he was never sure he'd get to be 60. His father dropped dead suddenly at 59, as did all but one of his father's brothers, the one I knew. Several of his male cousins died suddenly in their fifties, as well. My dad would die on the kitchen floor of a heart attack at 78.

A few years ago, at 51, one of my younger brothers began to experience swelling in his lower legs. He went to the doctor, who ran a bunch of tests and found that my brother has a weak heart muscle, a muscle that pushes the blood back out of the heart (I am not a medical person so I don't know the correct term for it.) There's no surgery to help it, just medication that strengthens the muscle action and diet, primarily low-sodium, healthier food choices. The doctor said it's likely genetic. We can only guess that this is what killed the males so early in my dad's family.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-27-2023 at 01:34 PM..

Old 12-27-2023, 07:12 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The deaths of two physicians we knew got my attention.

One was fifty-six and out running when he apparently fell over and died of a heart attack. One irony of his death was that he commented more than once how unfortunate my wife is to have insulin dependent diabetes. (she is currently sixty-three and doing well)

Another was one I knew from the clinic I went too. He was a really nice doctor that everyone liked with a great bedside manner. He was fifty-four and went to bed one night and just never woke up. His wife apparently said he had complained about trouble sleeping for a few days, but that was about it.

These things happen. Although, its far more common people will ignore warning signs like chest pain, sudden difficulty breathing, or severe headaches and believe its just a "passing phase".
Yup. My recently-deceased bf (he was not young, died just short of 72) had a heart attack at 54, before I met him. He had a hiatal hernia, and he kept blaming the pain he was feeling in his chest on the hernia. He said he thinks he probably had four heart attacks, because he would just lie on the floor until the pain stopped. Finally his wife said he should go to the hospital, and he said he kept telling them it was his hernia, and they said, "No, sir, you are having a heart attack." He had a stent put it in and took medication and in the end, something rare and totally unrelated to his heart condition killed him years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness