Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 08:30 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times

Advertisements

I used to always get sick around the holidays, usually from running myself to the ground in retail. I've been much better the past 6-8 years though, especially after leaving a particularly stressful job in early 2016. And since covid, no one thinks it's weird to wear a mask in a store so I do that all the time.

Last Sunday I started coughing. Figured it was nothing, the weather was dry. Tuesday morning found me in a local drugstore stocking up on Robitussin. This was a bad non-stop cough, but a dry cough.

I've pulled all my stomach muscles. I can't sleep without a dose of nyquil. Doctor says "there's a lot going around."

All week I deal with this. Temp was elevated about a degree one day so not really a fever. Nose is fine, no headache. Three negative covid tests. But still the cough.

I'm pretty functional otherwise though I could feel a shortness in my breath while out walking the other day. I took a couple of naps one day but except for that have not been tired during the day.

So I tell my family I probably can't visit them this weekend as planned, as I really don't know what's going on and do not want to get the elders sick.

Wake up this morning, cough is better finally. I thought ok, maybe I can go visiting! But wait now I've got the typical cold-induced green stuff in my nose.

So basically a cold in reverse (I usually always end a cold with a weeks-long cough).

I wish there was a magic button for Am I Still Contagious? Yes/No

Who else gets to spend their holiday with a cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2023, 09:30 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I used to always get sick around the holidays, usually from running myself to the ground in retail. I've been much better the past 6-8 years though, especially after leaving a particularly stressful job in early 2016. And since covid, no one thinks it's weird to wear a mask in a store so I do that all the time.

Last Sunday I started coughing. Figured it was nothing, the weather was dry. Tuesday morning found me in a local drugstore stocking up on Robitussin. This was a bad non-stop cough, but a dry cough.

I've pulled all my stomach muscles. I can't sleep without a dose of nyquil. Doctor says "there's a lot going around."

All week I deal with this. Temp was elevated about a degree one day so not really a fever. Nose is fine, no headache. Three negative covid tests. But still the cough.

I'm pretty functional otherwise though I could feel a shortness in my breath while out walking the other day. I took a couple of naps one day but except for that have not been tired during the day.

So I tell my family I probably can't visit them this weekend as planned, as I really don't know what's going on and do not want to get the elders sick.

Wake up this morning, cough is better finally. I thought ok, maybe I can go visiting! But wait now I've got the typical cold-induced green stuff in my nose.

So basically a cold in reverse (I usually always end a cold with a weeks-long cough).

I wish there was a magic button for Am I Still Contagious? Yes/No

Who else gets to spend their holiday with a cold?
.......raises hand...... We seem to be passing around a very mild cold that's hard to distinguish from allergies. The symptoms are intermittent head ( and in my case, chest congestion) sneezing and when it occurs, a violent cough that goes on and is hard to stop. At times with this thing the congestion clears up till the next time, making it seem even more like allergies. The only symptom that makes it more likely to be respiratory is the mildly sore throat that I don't associate with allergies. And I find myself unusually exhausted as the day goes on.. We have a number of friends and neighbors with the same thing. We've been to a number of holiday concerts and parties ( when we thought we were over this thing), so that's probably where it's being transmitted. The thing is its so mild you know things aren't exactly right but you don't know if you are sick or not.

Old 12-23-2023, 11:33 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Not a cold, but an infection that hit in early November. Night sweats, weakness, nausea...
Now I'm on IV antibiotics three times a day.

There's one Holiday party left that I haven't had to miss, go antibiotics!

Old 12-23-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Not a cold, but an infection that hit in early November. Night sweats, weakness, nausea...
Now I'm on IV antibiotics three times a day.

There's one Holiday party left that I haven't had to miss, go antibiotics!
That really stinks! I hope you are better soon

Old 12-23-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
.......raises hand...... We seem to be passing around a very mild cold that's hard to distinguish from allergies. The symptoms are intermittent head ( and in my case, chest congestion) sneezing and when it occurs, a violent cough that goes on and is hard to stop. At times with this thing the congestion clears up till the next time, making it seem even more like allergies. The only symptom that makes it more likely to be respiratory is the mildly sore throat that I don't associate with allergies. And I find myself unusually exhausted as the day goes on.. We have a number of friends and neighbors with the same thing. We've been to a number of holiday concerts and parties ( when we thought we were over this thing), so that's probably where it's being transmitted. The thing is its so mild you know things aren't exactly right but you don't know if you are sick or not.

I can't even say I've been at gatherings really, though I've been in and out of a few stores. 2020 got me out of the habit of touching my eyes or face before washing my hands and I am really good about that.

Today has been a good day - no meds during the day but I'm definitely taking nyquil tonight. Coughing but not as bad, but now I'm sneezing.

I had a few days early in the week where my arms and back were achy but that went away too.

No one I've been near is admitting to feeling off lately, but last year I caught one of my clients coughing around the holidays, they said they were fine and then months later started talking about the "time we had covid" - was the same time I asked them if they were sick. I have no patience for people who lie about stuff like that.

Old 12-24-2023, 01:48 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Can't recall ever having "the holiday cold" but I do remember succumbing to some virus I probably picked up as a result of holiday busyness, public transportation travel, holiday performances, and family visits. I'd end up sick once everything was over. Sort of a holiday hangover. As for seasonal circulating colds or flu I tended to be the last holdout. Never gave into whatever virus was making the rounds of co-workers, friends and their kids until they'd already been through it. They'd all commiserated and suffered together. By the time I was moping around looking miserable their sympathy had been used up and was notably lacking .

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-24-2023 at 03:00 PM..

Old 12-24-2023, 02:16 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,035,841 times
This post hits home for me. My "cold" started last night, post-nasal mucus all night and very bad dreams.
I have not had a cold in many years (did get Covid last year).
Luckily I got RSV shot a week ago because of holiday invitations and Christmas with family.

Travelassie said what I thought: hard to distinguish these symptoms from cold or allergy but most pollen has been gone here in NC so my bet is on cold virus.

We went to Christmas recital small relatives were in couple days ago, guessing that's where I got it, no one was coughing at all, about 200 people in large room. But then I'm not coughing either, just feel like crap. My recollection of last bad cold is coughing comes later, hope it is not as bad as WouldLoveTos.

We'll see what tomorrow is like, I may be staying home, not a big deal. Husband will be driving himself and coming back before dark (I'm the one who drives at dark).

Old 12-24-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Can't recall ever having "the holiday cold" but I do remember succumbing to some virus I probably picked up as a result of holiday busyness, public transportation travel, holiday performances, and family visits. I'd end up sick once everything was over. Sort of a holiday hangover. As for seasonal circulating colds or flu I tended to be the last holdout. Never gave into whatever virus was making the rounds of co-workers, friends and their kids until they'd already been through it. They'd all commiserated and suffered together. By the time I was moping around looking miserable their sympathy had been used up and was notably lacking .
If you had a cold now I'd surely send some sympathy your way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
This post hits home for me. My "cold" started last night, post-nasal mucus all night and very bad dreams.
I have not had a cold in many years (did get Covid last year).
Luckily I got RSV shot a week ago because of holiday invitations and Christmas with family.

Travelassie said what I thought: hard to distinguish these symptoms from cold or allergy but most pollen has been gone here in NC so my bet is on cold virus.

We went to Christmas recital small relatives were in couple days ago, guessing that's where I got it, no one was coughing at all, about 200 people in large room. But then I'm not coughing either, just feel like crap. My recollection of last bad cold is coughing comes later, hope it is not as bad as WouldLoveTos.

We'll see what tomorrow is like, I may be staying home, not a big deal. Husband will be driving himself and coming back before dark (I'm the one who drives at dark).
Just when you thought you were safe - BAM!!! Sorry Twinkle! I'm still coughing. I've officially canceled my visits and will hopefully be able to do them in a few days.

I don't feel anywhere near as bad as I sound But I am sleeping a bit more than normal

Old 12-24-2023, 05:20 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Some nasty respiratory viruses floating around out there. I had one (non COVID) that progressed from a sore throat to bronchitis over the course of a few days. Took a solid 2 weeks to recover. Had not had a cold for well over 10 years and have never gotten COVID. Stuff is out there...

Old 12-24-2023, 06:07 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
I was hit with COVID 2 weeks ago. 100.8 temp at its highest, general achiness and exhaustion, a tightness in my lungs, dry cough, persistent headache, sinus pressure behind my nose near my eyes. Nyquil, water, sleep, was my prescription for most of the week. Doctor said (over the phone) that if my temp hit 101 and stayed there longer than the following day I should go in for anti-viral. But it stopped at 100.8 and was down to 99.something the next day. It broke completely the day after that.

Everything's done except the sinus pressure and the cough. Thankfully there's no sinus headache with the pressure, it's just a little constriction but nothing I need to medicate for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness