Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 10:20 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
No joke. When I visited Holland (Netherlands) I felt like I was amongst a bunch of clones. For the first time in my life many of the women were at eye level with me. I'm of German descent and also almost 6ft tall. When people see me and my son together they think we're twins, only he's a couple inches taller. I ended up taller than both of my parents by at least an inch. My German grandfather born in the early 1900s was well over 6 feet tall.

Regarding the national averages, it definitely makes a difference to break it down by race. "America" is a melting pot, you can't quantify average weights and heights across all the races and hereditary backgrounds. Breaking it down by race is not racist, it's scientifically data-driven.
Yes, of course there are ethnic differences in height! I flew to Amsterdam a few years ago, my first trip to Europe. I took Icelandair. My plane was landing at Keflavik airport, after which some of us were transferring to Amsterdam and some to Oslo. I got to the gate, and I found to my delight that for the first time outside of family gatherings, I was among people of my own size.

We live in a world built for smaller people. Half a century of stooping over kitchen sinks and countertops, turning one's self into an S to wash your hair under a showerhead, furniture made for people six inches shorter, takes its toll on the body in small increments.

My daughter, who is only 5'8", lived in China for a year. She had a hard time finding shoes in size 9, which is still normal range in the USA. I would have been out of luck with my own size 11 feet!

Old 12-21-2023, 06:04 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We live in a world built for smaller people.
This is true, and I often refer to normal people as 'midgets'. LOL

My struggle has always been finding pants that are long enough for me. I lived in the Southwest for years where it's predominately Hispanic, where the thrift stores are full of pants sized for 'midgets' but hardly anything for taller/thin women. (I buy most of my clothes secondhand). When I moved to a non-Hispanic part of the country I was elated to find tons and tons of pants that fit me! Sometimes I buy pants simply because they're long enough for me, even if I don't really like them. Pants hoarding? For work I buy men's Carhartt cargo pants because they're long enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2023, 08:56 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
No joke. When I visited Holland (Netherlands) I felt like I was amongst a bunch of clones. For the first time in my life many of the women were at eye level with me. I'm of German descent and also almost 6ft tall. When people see me and my son together they think we're twins, only he's a couple inches taller. I ended up taller than both of my parents by at least an inch..
My mom was 5'7"+, my dad 6'0. I'm 6'5". Seems that I got my father's relatively long torso along with long limbs from mom.

While visiting Malaysia I befriended a young German couple. She was 6'0", he 6'3".
Walking together around town we really towered over the locals.

Old 12-22-2023, 11:14 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
My Dutch-American grandmothers, born in 1892 and 1907, were both 5'8". I am one of seven. Baby bro is 6'5". Runt sister, No. 2, is 5'7".

Old 12-24-2023, 08:08 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
I just read a book called "Ultra-Processed People."

It covers the change in our eating of foods that are very processed. High in fat, sugar, salt, chemicals and short on nutrition. In America, many eat 60% of their diet from these foods.

So, the book explores how we're getting heavier, short, and decreased longevity. We're malnourished--and yet overfed on calories/chemicals empty of nutrition.

Makes sense to me.

Read the book and make your own judgement.

Or just Google "hyper-processed foods" and their effect on our health.

There's lots of info and studies on this topic.

It's truly alarming.

Old 12-26-2023, 07:02 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times
Well, I'm still tall and skinny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness