Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 05:07 PM

5,827 posts, read 2,948,440 times

Advertisements

I start work at 7 and usually take the 5;50 train. So I’m used to waking up early, but over the years I realized I love going to sleep early. Usually between 8-9. Kids go to sleep,about the same time so it all works.
But still, I love mornings, I hate evenings. I feel like when the sun is down the day is done. This is a bit of a challenge in summer and I hate going to sleep when the sun is still up, but there are ways around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 06:42 PM

2,070 posts, read 1,013,726 times
Ten PM has been my bedtime for most of my life. I could be fully immersed in doing something at 9:45, and it seems like as soon as the clock is past 10pm it's like "party's over" and I head to bed.

I lived off grid for a few years and those winter evenings really dragged on when it gets dark by 4pm. It would feel like midnight and when I looked at the clock it was only 6pm. LOL. Going to sleep early would mean waking up at 3 or 4 in the morning, when it's still pitch black out.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:21 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
I do.Before 8pm last nite. That Xanax has a kick back when i take it at 11am for a long nap.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:30 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Sometimes I try that very scary tactic, going to sleep very early, say like 7pm.........but most of the time I end up waking at 1am and not going back to sleep, UGH.

Old 12-17-2023, 09:38 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Never. I've been a night owl ever since I worked with owls at night. I go to bed after 11 and often after midnight. I like to get to bed by 1 am though, because I don't like sleeping past 730 or 8 at the latest

Old 12-17-2023, 03:20 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
For me it has much less to do with chronological time and more to do with daylight. If it's daylight I'm awake. When it's dark I'm ready to sleep. Just like the wildlife I spent most of my career working with. Not sure which came first to be honest...did I end up working in the biological resources field because of my little personal circadian rhythm or did my circadian rhythm evolve because of my career? .

Not that it really matters too much except for the fact that I live in AK. The annual change in daylight at high latitudes is dramatic (where I live the shortest winter "day" is about 6 hours, the longest summer "day" over 18). Now that I'm retired and rarely need a clock to regulate how long I sleep, that change in daylength can be a problem. I find I can sleep way too much during the winter and drag around feeling sleep deprived during summer.

Old 12-17-2023, 03:58 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
For me it has much less to do with chronological time and more to do with daylight. If it's daylight I'm awake. When it's dark I'm ready to sleep. Just like the wildlife I spent most of my career working with. Not sure which came first to be honest...did I end up working in the biological resources field because of my little personal circadian rhythm or did my circadian rhythm evolve because of my career? .

Not that it really matters too much except for the fact that I live in AK. The annual change in daylight at high latitudes is dramatic (where I live the shortest winter "day" is about 6 hours, the longest summer "day" over 18). Now that I'm retired and rarely need a clock to regulate how long I sleep, that change in daylength can be a problem. I find I can sleep way too much during the winter and drag around feeling sleep deprived during summer.

I hate the seasonal change in daylight. It messes up my sleep patterns and I blame Earth. I would be perfectly content with 12/12 year round, if I didn't have to live on the Equator.

Old 12-17-2023, 04:17 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
i can't explain it but I don't have any trouble going to bed at 8:30 and sleeping until 6:30. Once a week I have rehearsal in the evening and it runs late. When I get home I'm too cranked up to sleep. but I don't suffer the next day, probably because in general I am so well rested.

Old 12-17-2023, 05:51 PM

2,070 posts, read 1,013,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I hate the seasonal change in daylight. It messes up my sleep patterns and I blame Earth. I would be perfectly content with 12/12 year round, if I didn't have to live on the Equator.
Same here. It wouldn't bother me as much if society didn't revolve around the same rigid schedule year-round without adapting to seasonal changes such as daylight. During winter I close up shop around 3-4pm most days because I want to get home before dark, especially if it's snowy/icy.

I've never lived in a 12/12 part of the world. We have a poster here (Sand & Salt) who lives in Ecuador and might have some comments about that. I've watched some Youtube travel videos from equatorial areas where they're hitting up the street markets at 6pm and it's already dark outside...any time of the year.

Old 12-17-2023, 06:07 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
I am tired by 8 and fall asleep, like it or not. The problem is I wake up again and wind up watching tv in the middle of the night, then back to sleep again. Very messed up sleep pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness