Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 07:35 PM

12,779 posts, read 14,992,488 times

Advertisements

I'd say I was a moderate night owl in my 20s & 30s & NOT actually staying out late outside the home, but just staying up late mainly watching TV in the comfort of home. (I was always the type who liked to be home before dark even in my very younger years.)

Into my 40s, I've gone to bed earlier quite a bit more often. Starting at about age 39, I've started minorly to moderately starting work as early as 5:30 AM...never started that early ever before that. Maybe that's had something to do w/ it & it just appears as if as I'm getting older that I'm going to be earlier.

These days, I seem to go to bed anywhere from the 9 PM hour to at times 12 AM something, but I think usually sometime during the 10 or 11 PM hours. (I've never gone to bed during the 8 PM hour. If I ever did that, it would probably have to be after a few days in a row of 12-14-hr work days.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 04:25 AM

19,531 posts, read 9,546,813 times
Does that include falling asleep on the couch? If so, guilty .

Old 01-10-2024, 08:59 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
yes I have been known to go to bed as early as 8pm. The latest I stay up is 10:30. But I am still recovering from a virus I had last week that put me down for 5 days plus missing work. Although I feel better my body is is just worn out and tired. I went to sleep at 8:30 pm last night. We don't have kids so that's one of the perks, I can go to bed or take a nap when ever I want.

Old 01-10-2024, 12:02 PM

739 posts, read 412,349 times
i have no interest in primetime TV so I'm in bed between 7 and 8. I prefer to be at the gym, so I rise by 3 or 4 am.

Old 01-10-2024, 12:15 PM

2,667 posts, read 1,189,012 times
I was always a night owl. Then I noticed it was getting harder to get up in the morning for work. So I made myself go to bed at 10pm. That helped but still all the stress from work still made it difficult to get more sleep. I started taking over the county sleeping pills which I suspect made my short term memory a problem now. Takes time to get that better.

Now lately I am having trouble sleeping even though I am so tired. I must have caught a bug or something.
I'm retired so staying up late is not a big deal unless I have an early appointment the next day.

I try to get to bed no later 11pm now just to get into a good sleeping routine.

Old 01-10-2024, 12:57 PM

36,422 posts, read 16,034,254 times
I've always been early to bed, about 9 to 10. I remember as a kid, teen and parents said you could stay up as long as you want? I went to bed at 8:30, LOL I'm usually up by 7 to 7:30.

I'm glad I'm retired, I have a hard time making it to somewhere at 8am. I need a lot of time in the morning, because of an illness to see what my body is going to do. I like my appts after 10am. Although I'm mentally better in the morning.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:40 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Heck, it's nearly ten pm and I am headed for bed shortly! LOL

Old 01-11-2024, 10:37 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I start work at 7 and usually take the 5;50 train. So I’m used to waking up early, but over the years I realized I love going to sleep early. Usually between 8-9. Kids go to sleep,about the same time so it all works.
But still, I love mornings, I hate evenings. I feel like when the sun is down the day is done. This is a bit of a challenge in summer and I hate going to sleep when the sun is still up, but there are ways around it.
Before getting married I was a total night owl...

This made getting up early for work a difficult if not painful effort most of my working career. Any opportunity to sleep in late on weekends or vacations, I went right back to being a night owl and slept in like a log. While engaged to my wife, we once went to stay with her parents for a visit, and as I continued to sleep through the morning, past noon, they wondered if I was well.

Fast forward and now my wife and I are both retired. Slowly but surely my wife changed my night owl ways and now if we're not in bed by 9PM it's a rare night. My wife typically falls asleep a good while before then while we watch a last show on the sofa before calling it a night, but as she is always quick to point out in her defense, she gets up early! She has always been an "early bird" so through much of our 36+ years of marriage now, we were a bit at odds with respect to our sleeping and waking habits. Even now my wife can't seem to sleep in the morning until at least the sun comes up. I get up a little after the sun comes up, but now we are both up pretty early in the morning and in bed pretty early at night.

In so many ways after so many years of marriage, I am nothing like the man I used to be...

Old 01-11-2024, 10:45 AM

10 posts, read 5,856 times
I used to be able to sleep until noon and even later. But now, somehow, I just wake up around 8, even if I don't have anywhere to be. As a result, by 9 in the evening, my eyes are already getting heavy.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:20 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
If by "early" you mean 5am then yes. lol

I have what's called DSPD - Delayed sleep phase disorder. Basically a backwards circadian rhythm, so my natural inclination is to sleep from around 5am-2pm. I do have a job, but thankfully a later start time (usually 12:40pm). So I just get less sleep on work days, as I only really NEED about 5 hours to function. I plan to retire early and enjoy my sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness