Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 12:04 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,031,786 times

Advertisements

The mystery of women, to men and women, is clarified by the new book dealing with The Pill and women's brains:

https://www.sarahehill.com/your-brain-on-birth-control/

"Although women go on the pill for a small handful of targeted effects (pregnancy prevention and clearer skin, yay!), sex hormones can’t work that way. Sex hormones impact the activities of billions of cells in the body at once, many of which are in the brain. There, they play a role in influencing attraction, sexual motivation, stress, hunger, eating patterns, emotion regulation, friendships, aggression, mood, learning, and more. This means that being on the birth control pill makes women a different version of themselves than when they are off of it. And this is a big deal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 09:37 AM

1,426 posts, read 1,031,786 times
Quote:
This is Your Brain on Birth Control validates what generations of women have suspected since the introduction of the pill—birth control is doing a whole lot more in our bodies than simply preventing pregnancy. In this brilliant and witty exploration of what we know (and don’t know) about birth control, Hill has provided sound evidence that is eye-opening, riveting, and a must read for all women and the people who care about them.
Dr. Jolene Brighten, NMD
Author of Beyond the Pill

Old 12-28-2023, 09:21 AM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Birth control pills can also mean the difference between a young menstruating girl having to experience a week every month of grueling pain, blood, migraine headache, debilitating mood swings, and - not having to experience all of that.

That's why I was put on it. The doctor didn't want me to take Darvocet anymore, I was taking three a day, for five days every month, for a year.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:50 PM

170 posts, read 74,674 times
I think the hormone secreted by the pituary gland and the thyroid gland do more to the body than sex hormone,sex hormone sole purpose is reproduction,

Old 12-31-2023, 09:22 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,233,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMWILSON View Post
I think the hormone secreted by the pituary gland and the thyroid gland do more to the body than sex hormone,sex hormone sole purpose is reproduction,
No, 'sex hormones' are not solely for reproduction. WTF who taught you that?!?

Estrogen affects bone density, blood pressure and blood circulation, and collagen production (skin). Testosterone affects muscle mass and fat cell production (or suppression), and the production of red blood cells. Progesterone controls water retention. It's known as the bladder control hormone. Progesterone levels drop as we get older, which is one of the primary reasons we begin having to get up in the middle of the night to pee.

Pretty much ALL hormones support more than one function in the body. The only one I can think of that truly only has one function is melatonin, which is produced in the pineal gland.

Educate yourself! But not with the sources at the top of this thread. "Sarah E. Hill" is a 'social psychologist' and not a medical doctor of any kind. She has no business writing books about medical treatments, pharmacology or endocrinology. "Dr. Jolene Brighten" is a "naturopathic endocrinologist" and "sex counselor"--remember, natural hormones are still hormones (the difference is, 'natural' hormones are completely unregulated).

Old 01-01-2024, 07:24 AM

170 posts, read 74,674 times
what you just said confirm what I just said-to produce offspring,the body must be in good shape,
try removing the pituary gland and see what happens??

Old 01-01-2024, 07:34 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,151,890 times
Implanon or Depo Provera are alternatives to the Pill.

Trust me, unwanted pregnancies are a pain for all involved.

Birth control is essential for society to function as it should.

Old 01-01-2024, 07:36 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Default In this vein...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
No, 'sex hormones' are not solely for reproduction. WTF who taught you that?!?
Estrogen affects... Testosterone affects... Progesterone controls...
Pretty much ALL hormones support more than one function in the body.
Educate yourself!

A fairly new (still off label) approach to treating low testosterone levels in men
is the same treatment designed to help women get pregnant: CLOMID (designed to fool
the pituitary gland into thinking that the ovaries are not producing estradiol).

Old 01-01-2024, 07:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
I had a male gynecologist look me straight in the eye and tell me that no, birth control pills don't reduce libido, despite women saying they do. Women experienced reduced libido while on the pill, he sagely told me, because of psychological factors related to having sex outside of the possibility of procreation, a guilt hang up some women have.

He actually said that.

Old 01-01-2024, 01:00 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I had a male gynecologist look me straight in the eye and tell me that no, birth control pills don't reduce libido, despite women saying they do. Women experienced reduced libido while on the pill, he sagely told me, because of psychological factors related to having sex outside of the possibility of procreation, a guilt hang up some women have.

He actually said that.

Hope you changed doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness