Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 08:46 PM

508 posts, read 526,921 times

Advertisements

What are the typical menu to lower sugar/Cholesterol for Vegan/Vegetarian diet?
==================================================

Thanks for replies to my threads.

My recent visit to PCP shows some elevation of blood sugar Cholesterol and Triglycerides.

MY PCP suggesting to cut carb and more protein . I am taking wheat/all grain bread instead of white one.

I am a Vegan/Vegetarian and looking for ideas/menu to reach standard desired blood sugar Cholesterol and Triglycerides goal.

Where can I find details ?

Thanks for your guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 09:04 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,333 times
No sugar drinks sports drinks energy drinks. No dried fruits. Eat more protein especially first meal of the day
Reduce saturated fats meats and processed meats butter etc. You are already vegan so that helps. Eat polyunsaturated fats, nuts, and avocado. Eat carbs with low glycemic index.

Perform muscle building exercises.

Basically look up NAFLD and NASH fatty liver diet.

Old 12-11-2023, 07:42 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
Here you go... this diet is the ideal balanced diet to promote longevity. (Scroll down to the bottom half of the PDF) You can just take out the meat part of it if you are vegan for ethical reasons. The main problem with a meatless diet is choline deficiency. For this reason, I would add eggs (specifically the yolks) to the diet, and/or make sure you are getting enough wheat bran, which is a rich source of Betaine, which is a compound related to choline. Dietary cholesterol does not increase body cholesterol. Remain in a caloric deficit and do what you can to maintain a healthy BMI.

https://novoslabs.com/wp-content/upl...-2022-2023.pdf

The only part of this PDF I disagree with is cutting out wheat. Wheat bran is an important source of methyl donors for vegans (choline and betaine) and help keep the organs clear of visceral fat. Quinoa is a good source of betaine also. If eating cereal, choose a wheat bran based cereal like this:

https://www.aldi.us/products/breakfa...e-bran-flakes/

Aldi stores contain lots of inexpensive health food items including the 45 calorie high fiber wheat bread and this wheat cereal both under 2 dollars, and organic "certified humane" eggs for under $4/dozen or regular inhumane versions for under a dollar a dozen. Greek yogurt is also a great low carb protein source they carry, and of course the dark chocolate, inexpensive fruits and vegetables, a variety of nuts and mixed nuts, and canned legumes. I also consume pork rinds (for the collagen content) with canned oysters (yummy) both bought at Aldi. Buying canned Sardines at costco when they are on sale is another health item for EPA/DHA. That, or a big bag of milled flaxseed.. I store mine in a vacuum sealed mason jar refrigerated. Mix that into greek yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, etc.

One more thing... for jelly on toast or bread I use 2 different brands both found at walmart... skinnygirl brand and smucker's sugar free.

Last edited by sholomar; 12-11-2023 at 08:34 AM..

Old 12-11-2023, 08:08 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,494,968 times
Are you a vegan or vegetarian ? It's not clear from your post. What do you eat current?

Old 01-01-2024, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 756 times
It's great that you're taking proactive steps to manage your blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglycerides through dietary changes. As a vegan/vegetarian, there are plenty of options that can help you achieve your health goals while adhering to your dietary preferences. Here are some ideas and tips for a menu that can help lower blood sugar and cholesterol:

Breakfast

Oatmeal: Made with water or a plant-based milk, topped with nuts and berries. Oats are excellent for lowering cholesterol.
Chia Pudding: Mix chia seeds with almond milk and let it sit overnight. Add fruits like berries for natural sweetness and fiber.
Smoothie: Use spinach, kale, avocado, and a small amount of fruit like berries or apple. Add flaxseeds or chia seeds for omega-3 fatty acids.

Lunch

Salad: Leafy greens, chickpeas or lentils, a variety of vegetables, nuts, and seeds. Dress with olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice.
Whole Grain Sandwich: Use whole grain bread, hummus, avocado, cucumber, lettuce, and tomato.
Quinoa Bowl: Cooked quinoa, black beans, roasted vegetables, and avocado, topped with a tahini dressing.

Snacks

Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds are great choices.
Vegetable Sticks: Carrots, bell peppers, and cucumber sticks with hummus or guacamole.
Fruit: Berries, apples, or pears. Limit high-sugar fruits like bananas and grapes.

Dinner

Stir-Fried Vegetables: Use a variety of vegetables with tofu or tempeh, cooked in olive oil or avocado oil.
Lentil Soup: Lentils are high in protein and fiber. Add vegetables like carrots, celery, and spinach.
Stuffed Bell Peppers: Fill bell peppers with a mixture of brown rice, black beans, corn, and spices.

General Tips

Limit Processed Foods: Even vegan processed foods can be high in sugar and unhealthy fats.
Choose Whole Grains: Opt for whole grain bread, brown rice, quinoa, and barley.

Increase Fiber: Foods high in fiber help manage blood sugar levels.

Healthy Fats: Incorporate sources of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats like avocados, nuts, and seeds.

Monitor Portion Sizes: Even healthy foods can contribute to weight gain if eaten in large quantities.
For detailed recipes and more specific meal plans, websites like Forks Over Knives, Oh She Glows, and Minimalist Baker offer a wide range of vegan and vegetarian recipes that cater to health-conscious individuals. Additionally, speaking with a dietitian who specializes in plant-based nutrition can provide personalized advice based on your specific health metrics and dietary preferences.

Remember, making dietary changes can significantly impact your blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels, but it's always important to monitor these changes with your healthcare provider. Keep up with your regular check-ups to ensure your diet aligns well with your health goals.

Allan R.
[url]https://www.bloggynest.com/[/url]

Old 01-01-2024, 11:11 AM

505 posts, read 261,104 times
I am a life-long ovo-lacto vegetarian and so are my three children. Aside from our not eating meat, fish, or fowl, and not drinking alcohol, out four diets could not be more different. We each have to find what works best for ourselves.

That said, lots of good advice already posted. But finding foods that are good for you and that you like may be a challenge.

Have been healthy all my life, now middle-aged and well-exercised at 76, have recently had to deal with higher blood sugar levels and higher cholesterol levels. The first was solved by reducing my soda intake and increasing my water intake. A year later, the second was solved by reducing from two eggs a day to one, and increasing my "vegetarian sausages" from two to three a day ( to compensate for the protein in the egg ). Now my test data are well within the target ranges and with no need for drugs.

Last edited by Upminster-1; 01-01-2024 at 11:25 AM..

Old 01-01-2024, 11:58 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
I rely on Dr Michael Greger’s website for advice about my diet and supplements. He is very research oriented, and is very careful about which research he relies on.

www.nutritionfacts.org

Old 01-01-2024, 12:44 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,417,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
No sugar drinks sports drinks energy drinks. No dried fruits. Eat more protein especially first meal of the day
Reduce saturated fats meats and processed meats butter etc. You are already vegan so that helps. Eat polyunsaturated fats, nuts, and avocado. Eat carbs with low glycemic index.

Perform muscle building exercises.

Basically look up NAFLD and NASH fatty liver diet.
No mention at all, of course, of aerobic exercise every day to reverse metabolic syndrome (the main CAUSE of high triglycerides).

Old 01-01-2024, 01:30 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,542,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
I am a life-long ovo-lacto vegetarian and so are my three children. Aside from our not eating meat, fish, or fowl, and not drinking alcohol, out four diets could not be more different. We each have to find what works best for ourselves.

That said, lots of good advice already posted. But finding foods that are good for you and that you like may be a challenge.

Have been healthy all my life, now middle-aged and well-exercised at 76, have recently had to deal with higher blood sugar levels and higher cholesterol levels. The first was solved by reducing my soda intake and increasing my water intake. A year later, the second was solved by reducing from two eggs a day to one, and increasing my "vegetarian sausages" from two to three a day ( to compensate for the protein in the egg ). Now my test data are well within the target ranges and with no need for drugs.
what brand do you use for vegetarian sausages?

Old 01-01-2024, 01:33 PM

505 posts, read 261,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
what brand do you use for vegetarian sausages?
Morningstar Farms !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness