Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 01:55 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Some fun facts about shingles

- Just about everyone born before 1980 has had Chickenpox (VZV)
- 1/3 of people who had chicken pox will develop shingles later in life
- Around 50% of people who reach the age of 85 had Shingles
- Shingrix is a recombinant vaccine focusing on one glycoprotein of the virus
- Shingrix is not approved for preventing VZV/Chickenpox
- Shingrix is approved for 4 years, though some scientists believe it may last longer
- The reason some develop Shingles despite having immunity to VZV is due to waning of your immune system, Shingrix is intended to remind the immune system about VZV. It cannot eradicate VZV from your system, which has basically transcribed its DNA in various cells of your body and can be reactivated for reasons not properly understood, but correlated with weakening of immune function.
- Before Shingrix, Zostavax was used, which was basically a large dose of the chickenpox vaccine used (live attenuated virus with adjuvants)
- Probably before the chickenpox vaccine, most adults were exposed to VZV more commonly so their immune system was constantly boosted, but post chickenpox vaccine, VZV exposure is far less, and more adults are developing Shingles who had chickenpox as kids.

Hmm. I didn't know that Shingrix was only good for 4 years; it's been more than that for me. I will have to ask my doctor. I do NOT want another go-round with Shingles, once was enough. I did have Chicken Pox as a child.

Old 12-01-2023, 03:03 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Hmm. I didn't know that Shingrix was only good for 4 years; it's been more than that for me. I will have to ask my doctor. I do NOT want another go-round with Shingles, once was enough. I did have Chicken Pox as a child.
I just googed, it says it used to be 7 years but is now 10 years.

I think the 7 year estimate was due to shingrex being a newer vaccine.

How Long Does the Shingles Vaccine Last?

Does Shingrix only last 4 years?

New data shows that the Shingrix vaccine is 89% effective at preventing shingles in older people for at least 10 years following the two-dose administration.

Previous studies had shown the shingles vaccine offered protection for up to seven years.
Since the vaccine’s efficacy is long-lasting, experts say it’s unlikely people will ever need a shingles booster shot.

The latest findings from ongoing follow-up studies show that the vaccine is at least 89% effective in the 10 years after administration in people aged 50 and up.1

The study, called Zoster-049, is a six-year extension of two, phase III randomized clinical trials (ZOE-50 and ZOE-70). It enrolled 7,413 participants in 18 countries

Old 12-01-2023, 05:27 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
You are the consumer and patient. Therefore, you are free to accept or decline any treatment, test, measurement, prescription, vaccine etc. I've refused some of these for various reasons. Sometimes I've provided a reason, sometimes not. I might add, I've never been told to find another doctor.
My PCP offers the vaccines, but leaves it up to me about getting them or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness