Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 01:07 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times

Advertisements

At 41, I'd say this is a mattress issue. I have a very old mattress (from day one have always had boards between mattress and box spring) atop of which I have a foam posture supporting topper bought many years ago, on top of that a lofted mattress topper which is WONDERFUL. Very supportive. Find my spot, never move.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=concie...ZI&form=MOZSBR

81 y/o. No aches/pains in bed, no aches/pains when I get up. Previously had a featherbed, replaced with lofted topper. Before featherbed/topper, always had hip pain. No more. There's a reason the newer mattresses now combine foam and spring.

As an aside, re cartilage drying between joints, I've been taking Osteo Bi-Flex for 30 years, began at 50 when knees started to crackle. No arthritis, no joint issues whatsoever. NADA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 07:00 PM

2,672 posts, read 1,192,261 times
Maybe try a new mattress and a firm one if it's mainly in your back. Neck pain I swear is the pillow not being put up against your neck and on top of our shoulder in that space between your neck and shoulder when sleeping on your side.

I think you need an extra firm mattress if your back hurts and a new pillow for your neck. For me it is the memory foam pillow that takes that ache away.

Old 11-30-2023, 07:35 PM

11,512 posts, read 6,027,599 times
Nobody has asked so I guess I will. Is your body weight the same or have you been slowly gaining weight? Body shape can make a difference.

Old 11-30-2023, 11:22 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Maybe try a new mattress and a firm one if it's mainly in your back. Neck pain I swear is the pillow not being put up against your neck and on top of our shoulder in that space between your neck and shoulder when sleeping on your side.
I think you need an extra firm mattress if your back hurts and a new pillow for your neck. For me it is the memory foam pillow that takes that ache away.
Indeed, pillow also critical to keep neck and spine in alignment. For years, used feather pillows. Last 20 years use a firm fiberfill, always careful to put it between shoulder and neck as you describe. I prefer that to the foam contured pillow often recommended by chiropractors which I've found to be hard and uncomfortable.

OP could probably solve his issue with an investment of under $300 for (1) new pillow, (2) good firm foam mattress topper, and (3) a high-loft topper similar to those shown on the above link. Much easier and cheaper than buying a whole new sleep system.

Fwiw, I have a 77 yo friend who swears by her Sleep Number bed. She is, however, a very small person. I'm not so sure about SN for big, heavy people.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-30-2023 at 11:43 PM..

Old 12-01-2023, 02:50 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It happens on every mattress I try now. Some worse than others.

I'm now in my late 50's. I've had a similar issue since I was in my 40's.

I used to get out of bed, maybe watch some TV then go back into the bed which woke my hub up.

About 15 years ago, I eventually started falling asleep on the couch where I was able to sleep good because it stopped me from sleeping on my back. I used to wake up from back, neck and shoulder pain when sleeping on a mattress.

Now, all these years have gone by, no matter what bed I sleep in, I end up being in miserable pain the next day, so the couch has been it for me except times when my grandson is over, he ends up falling asleep there. I'm going to need a new couch soon, Raymour and Flanigan don't sell benchcraft couches any more. It looks like the company has been bought out by Ashley furniture.

My MIL died before COVID. My hub replaced our mattress when he inherited her split king sized bed that you can raise and lower both ends. The mattress is harder than a rock. I'm clueless how he sleeps in it. His mother used to tell me how much she liked the bed in our guestroom which is now my grandson's bed. My grandson's bed is soft.

Old 12-01-2023, 05:59 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,949,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Nobody has asked so I guess I will. Is your body weight the same or have you been slowly gaining weight? Body shape can make a difference.
Bodyweight is exactly the same.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:02 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
I know for me, my worn-out mattress is the cause of much of my sleeping discomfort.

I have a wear-spot/depression caused by dead coil-springs right at the area where
my lower-back/hips rests. I put a yoga-mat over the defect.......without it in place,
I ache a lot and sleep less.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:44 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,157,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
True. Glad you mentioned this.

Weight loss is perceptible right when you awaken- kind of a bad thing to obsess over if one has eating disorder issues though.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:11 AM

3,216 posts, read 1,682,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
It's old age.

Get a workup for autoimmune issues as well.
That's completely false. Body sore is caused by inflammation in the various joints, arteries, and lack of mineral health. The body is super resilient and will fix all issues over time with the proper resources. I'm well over 40 and I don't feel pain or sore when I sleep or get up.

I have decent amount of exercise, I don't eat sugar or highly inflammatory foods especially processed seed oils. I don't eat bread much because gluten causes inflammation to the body.

Majority of fruits are extremely bad for humans because #1 ingredient is fructose which is toxic in the body and causes inflammation. Only eat dark berries that are low in fructose. No corn or GMO foods.

Get rid of sugar of all types especially fruits, sodas, and eat diet rich in nutrients like wild game meat and you'll see how quickly the body will fix itself and you become pain free.

Old 12-01-2023, 12:40 PM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times
When my joints (hips, back/neck, knees hurt) at night, I add in some anti-inflammatory nutrients and that seems to help a lot

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...lammatory-diet.

Fish oil, Vit E, Evening Primrose Oil are worth considering, too.

You might Google foods that cause inflammation and see if you're eating too many of those: among them are: Inflammatory Foods

What causes inflammation? Snead explains it can result from exposure to environmental toxins, a lingering virus, aging or chronic stress. But what you eat contributes, too.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...lammatory-diet

What foods cause inflammation? Unfortunately, a lot of them, according to Snead. In particular, she recommends avoiding these inflammatory foods:

Red meat, such as steak and hamburgers
Processed meat, such as bologna, bacon, sausage and lunch meat
Commercial baked goods such as snack cakes, pies, cookies and brownies
Bread and pasta made with white flour
Deep fried items such as French fries, fried chicken and donuts
Foods high in added sugar, such as candy, jelly and syrup
Sugar-sweetened beverages such as soda, bottled or canned tea drinks, and sports drinks

Hope this helps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness