Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 09:11 AM

9,863 posts, read 4,638,421 times

Advertisements

Teenagers appear to be eating more pot edibles, some in the middle of the school day. Not only can they be more dangerous with higher levels of thc many want a quicker high which can lead to more consumption. Teen pot abuse has increased over 243% in 20 years

Some teens started with edibles which lead to smoking and vaping pot. Basically helps manufacturing pot addicts.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/teen...224851108.html

Most wouldn't tolerate teen drinking period let alone during the school day nor would they tolerate cigarette smoking yet pot seems to get a free pass. Pot is not necessarily safe or not dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2023, 03:42 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Yeah as a marijuana user I'd have to say the problem is that it's much easier to use marijuana all the time than it is to drink all the time. Whether people who support it or not realize it, long term use of this drug is going to affect a young person's life because it simply makes a person lazy and unmotivated.

There's no easy answer considering we live in a democracy where people have voted for this right. To tell them they can't do it and ban it makes us a nanny state. There are times when I sympathize with people in charge and realize that humans as a species don't really know their own best interests. They will often make choices for short term pleasure that sabotage long term prospects.

Bottom line, there's no closing the door on marijuana usage now. Might as well legalize it. People are going to find a way to use it, for better or for worse. It's part of our culture now. If we fully legalize it and the newness wears off, I believe it's usage will level off and decline. It's when you tell people they can't do something that they tend to want to do it more (and vice versa, vaccine mandaters) .. better to use reverse psychology on people.

Old 11-22-2023, 06:51 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Humans being wildly attracted to drugs, including pot, is pretty normal, not much to be done IMHO.

Just like the whole "fentanyl-crisis" blather, if not that drug, it would just be something
else.

Old 11-23-2023, 12:07 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
So, full confession time: my daughter gave me a pot brownie on Saturday night. I was pretty stoned! And I threw up which is an unusual reaction. Then later I couldn't remember if I really threw up or I dreamed it.

My point being, I'm stunned that people smoke pot and drive cars and go about their normal business. I most certainly could not have driven a car. I was even walking funny, and was aware of it, but couldn't really do anything about it.

Old 11-24-2023, 04:47 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Yeah as a marijuana user I'd have to say the problem is that it's much easier to use marijuana all the time than it is to drink all the time. Whether people who support it or not realize it, long term use of this drug is going to affect a young person's life because it simply makes a person lazy and unmotivated.

There's no easy answer considering we live in a democracy where people have voted for this right. To tell them they can't do it and ban it makes us a nanny state. There are times when I sympathize with people in charge and realize that humans as a species don't really know their own best interests. They will often make choices for short term pleasure that sabotage long term prospects.

Bottom line, there's no closing the door on marijuana usage now. Might as well legalize it. People are going to find a way to use it, for better or for worse. It's part of our culture now. If we fully legalize it and the newness wears off, I believe it's usage will level off and decline. It's when you tell people they can't do something that they tend to want to do it more (and vice versa, vaccine mandaters) .. better to use reverse psychology on people.

People think they want to legalize pot until it actually happens in their state, it is easy to buy it at a dispensary but it is also three or so times the price of street pot. My state, NJ made it legal in 2021 like I figured they would since it's another way they could get more money by taxing things. The people that wanted pot to be legal did not do any research or reading about legal pot prices in other states like Colorado and California. It must have been a huge shock when the finally saw the prices that dispensaries charge.

There is a Botanist dispensary near me, according to their website locations page, they're in 5 states.

I'd see 25+ people wait in long lines just to buy the legal pot when it first was passed. I've heard that the market here has slowed down. People who have a medical pot ID card now do not have to pay the fee of $100 (every two years) to legally buy it. If you're disabled or retired, the medical pot ID could cost as little as $20. NJ Medicinal Cannabis Program. People who are not disabled are supposedly not able to get the same products that they sell for medical card holders from what an employee told me. The one good thing about the medical pot ID is that you did not have to wait in the long line for people without the medical ID.

I wish I could post other ways the medical and regular are different, I've only been there one time, after buying a few different medical offerings, a vape, gummies and an oil, I tried it once, decided I would not be using medical pot because I don't like being high.

I see NY also made it legal, they are having "growing pains" where they tighten loopholes, address things they didn't think to include. Their legal pot sales did not get anywhere near what they thought it would. I've heard NJ's legal pot market has also declined but am not seeing a good article about it.

NY's legal weed sales aren't raking in cash as predicted. How much has sold so far? August 3, 2023

Quote:
As New York cracked down on unlicensed cannabis shops, sales of legal marijuana grew to reach a total of $33 million during the industry’s first six months, state records show.

But the legal cannabis marketplace, which launched in January, remains far from realizing the lofty political promises of state lawmakers who championed adult-use marijuana legalization in 2021.

Instead of generating hundreds of millions of dollars in tax revenue per year as projected, the cannabis industry produced about $4.3 million in sales tax receipts from January through June. That’s based on the state’s 13% retail tax rate on marijuana.

Even Gov. Kathy Hochul’s scaled-down projections for early legal marijuana revenues — at $56 million the first year, including $40 million in license fees — seem potentially overconfident as black-market marijuana continues to undermine legal sales.

Old 11-24-2023, 04:44 PM

10,553 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
People think they want to legalize pot until it actually happens in their state, it is easy to buy it at a dispensary but it is also three or so times the price of street pot. My state, NJ made it legal in 2021 like I figured they would since it's another way they could get more money by taxing things. The people that wanted pot to be legal did not do any research or reading about legal pot prices in other states like Colorado and California. It must have been a huge shock when the finally saw the prices that dispensaries charge..
I doubt most people who have voted for legalization have regrets about now being able to legally buy pot in a shop, regardless of the price. A lot of users aren't comfortable buying illicit drugs for a variety of reasons such as: convenience, crime/legality and quality concerns.

Those who don't want to pay the higher, legal price are apparently still able to purchase black market pot.
Now, at least they can't get busted for using it, or lose their house by growing their own at home.

A big disappointment for state revenues I guess. Well, at least they're getting something!

Teens eating edibles: Absolutely no good. Of course, this remains illegal. Shame on those facilitating their access to it.

Old 11-25-2023, 01:37 PM

9,863 posts, read 4,638,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
So, full confession time: my daughter gave me a pot brownie on Saturday night. I was pretty stoned! And I threw up which is an unusual reaction. Then later I couldn't remember if I really threw up or I dreamed it.

My point being, I'm stunned that people smoke pot and drive cars and go about their normal business. I most certainly could not have driven a car. I was even walking funny, and was aware of it, but couldn't really do anything about it.
Throwing up after pot use or prolonged pot use is real nor that uncommon.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/17/healt...ess/index.html

https://www.uwhealth.org/news/do-you...-pot-heres-why

The driving and pot, whew. According to pro pot internet posters they drive better after pot-lol. But that's a thing. I notice in a local park many come park their car, smoke a joint a drive off sometimes the minute they are done. I've been getting wiffs of pot from passing cars for years now(also a ton of air freshener smells that don't cover it up for the non smoker) Should ad since there are few or no field tests for pot intoxication like a breathalyzer for alcohol is not helping because some out there actually think they cannot get a dui high on pot.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:03 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
The pot mentality by the Dems is outta hand. Smell and see pot smoking drivers all day long now.

Old 11-29-2023, 11:06 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
The pot mentality by the Dems is outta hand. Smell and see pot smoking drivers all day long now.
Yep sold to them by the right wing fanatic republicans that buy guns and shoot people for no good reason. Such nonsense you espouse.

Old 12-01-2023, 10:10 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

I don't think weed is at all good for you. If i were a kid coming up now I hope I'd have the sense to never touch the stuff, never be in a room full of pot smoke, never eat a pot brownie. Weed is far from benign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness