Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many times a year do you go to your doctor?
1 or less 33 47.14%
2-3 21 30.00%
4-5 4 5.71%
6 or more 12 17.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 06:56 PM

3,441 posts, read 2,417,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
So I am very much opposite, I dont want to know if there is anything wrong. Ive had bloodwork twice in the past 5 years. 5 years ago I was told I have high cholesterol, this year when I was kind of pressured into getting bloodwork done from the VA, I told them I dont want to know the results. As weird as it sounds, I prefer to be blindsided with death. I feel if you know something is wrong, the more you worry which decreases your quality of life. Id rather live a happy life and die tomorrow, my wife thinks im ridiculous, lol.
So if you have something that's progressive, but treatable, you'd rather burden your wife for years being your caregiver, than have it treated and prevent it from getting bad enough that you need to burden her in the first place.

Your wife is right. Hopefully she has a lawyer on standby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 07:53 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,762,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
So if you have something that's progressive, but treatable, you'd rather burden your wife for years being your caregiver, than have it treated and prevent it from getting bad enough that you need to burden her in the first place.

Your wife is right. Hopefully she has a lawyer on standby.
Not sure why she would need a lawyer on standby but i would never ever burden a family member as my caregiver.

Old 11-18-2023, 11:03 AM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Not sure why she would need a lawyer on standby but i would never ever burden a family member as my caregiver.
Then you'd better have the appropriate physician's directive and/or POLST prepared and ready so if/when you suffer some major health crisis because you choose to neglect yourself and are unable to communicate your desire to refuse medical care, your family members don't end up being saddled with caring for you. Chances are you won't just drop dead in a tidy fashion. You'll end up damaged and incapacitated for some period of time...possibly a long time. You need to pave the way for them to be absolved of all responsibility. That may include granting your long suffering wife a divorce.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-18-2023 at 11:11 AM..

Old 11-18-2023, 01:04 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,700,987 times
Hospitals are a bad place to be if you're sick

Old 11-19-2023, 08:48 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,762,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Then you'd better have the appropriate physician's directive and/or POLST prepared and ready so if/when you suffer some major health crisis because you choose to neglect yourself and are unable to communicate your desire to refuse medical care, your family members don't end up being saddled with caring for you. Chances are you won't just drop dead in a tidy fashion. You'll end up damaged and incapacitated for some period of time...possibly a long time. You need to pave the way for them to be absolved of all responsibility. That may include granting your long suffering wife a divorce.
Im always looking to buy a piece property with a small cabin on it so if that time ever came i can just move there and seclude myself til the end. My wife can remarry and move on with her life and ill keep her as my beneficiary. I love life but if i died tomorrow, it wouldnt bother me. Of course, id be dead so nothing would bother me, but you know what i mean, lol. Part of the "neglect" is because i have no desire to grow old and therefore dont want to extend it any longer than it needs to be. I know i have many unpopular opinions but we should all be able to live how we want, right?

Old 11-19-2023, 01:07 PM

3,085 posts, read 1,548,202 times
Quote:
Im always looking to buy a piece property with a small cabin on it so if that time ever came i can just move there and seclude myself til the end. My wife can remarry and move on with her life and ill keep her as my beneficiary. I love life but if i died tomorrow, it wouldnt bother me. Of course, id be dead so nothing would bother me, but you know what i mean, lol. Part of the "neglect" is because i have no desire to grow old and therefore dont want to extend it any longer than it needs to be. I know i have many unpopular opinions but we should all be able to live how we want, right?
absolutely we should be able to live as we want. Many posters either dont know or care about treatments that can shorten lives and cause more problems than the disease that is beingtreated.

Old 11-19-2023, 10:01 PM

2,090 posts, read 1,016,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Let's be fair. Not everyone is as lucky as you. Lifestyle doesn't always translate into great health. Many folks live with or die from situations they did nothing to create. They were imposed on them by something lurking in their DNA and/or simple unpredictable bad fortune. Per the bolded...please. A person can tick all the healthy lifestyle boxes on the list but still end up needing medical intervention. Proactive choices are fine to a point. Every reasonably literate adult should know about all that by now. Crowing about never seeing a doctor can descend into virtue signaling dreck. I didn't do anything to cause either of the life threatening health situations that reared their ugly heads for me. I'd probably be dead three times over without a doctor identifying, treating, and keeping tabs on those. So count those lucky stars, be grateful, and be humble.
Thanks for sharing your side and I agree with you, but I didn't get the vibe that the previous poster was bragging or signaling anything by not needing medical care. Not everyone subscribes to the Western medicine routine, eg. annual checkups/bloodwork/mammogram/colonoscopy/etc, which is just guaranteed income for the medical industry and an opportunity to diagnose more "problems" that may not even be worthy of concern, but will almost certainly result in a drug prescription to address the issue. I think most of it is unnecessary BS. People looove to talk about their ailments and all the drugs they're taking.

Like the other poster, I've sought medical care maybe three times this century, all for acute incidents where it was obvious something was wrong and I was unable to heal it myself. I've never had health insurance (simply can't afford it, and if I had it at no cost I wouldn't use it anyway), and have never had a doctor that I've seen more than once. Having access to modern medicine is definitely an amazing advancement when it comes to treating acute or emergency conditions. But going to see a doctor just to "see a doctor" seems like a waste of time and money. One of the posters here stated they visit one of their doctors annually mainly to "say hello". At what cost, and could that doctor's time be better spent with someone who really needs it?

Old 11-19-2023, 10:21 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,441,299 times
At 76 we have a geriatric doctor. We go twice a year for regular checkups and other times if we feel ill.

Old 11-19-2023, 11:20 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
It depends. I rarely get sick but I'm on a maintenance schedule for routine testing that most doctors recommend so 1-3 times a year max if I don't have other issues. Of course more if I'm having any problems that needs treating. I went to the dermaologist a few times this year becasue I had a stubborn eczema flareup, and next year I'm having some of those routine tests done and a hip replaced.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:38 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,765,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Thanks for sharing your side and I agree with you, but I didn't get the vibe that the previous poster was bragging or signaling anything by not needing medical care. Not everyone subscribes to the Western medicine routine, eg. annual checkups/bloodwork/mammogram/colonoscopy/etc, which is just guaranteed income for the medical industry and an opportunity to diagnose more "problems" that may not even be worthy of concern, but will almost certainly result in a drug prescription to address the issue. I think most of it is unnecessary BS. People looove to talk about their ailments and all the drugs they're taking.

Like the other poster, I've sought medical care maybe three times this century, all for acute incidents where it was obvious something was wrong and I was unable to heal it myself. I've never had health insurance (simply can't afford it, and if I had it at no cost I wouldn't use it anyway), and have never had a doctor that I've seen more than once. Having access to modern medicine is definitely an amazing advancement when it comes to treating acute or emergency conditions. But going to see a doctor just to "see a doctor" seems like a waste of time and money. One of the posters here stated they visit one of their doctors annually mainly to "say hello". At what cost, and could that doctor's time be better spent with someone who really needs it?
That "hello" is with an Oncologist, meaning the poster survived some for of cancer. Yearly follow-ups are standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness