Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 11:05 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
A pack costs $19 here
That's crazy. Even taking off the 25% or so for CDN$ vs. USD$, that's too much.

Old 11-17-2023, 11:11 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
NOPE, puffed on a few cigarettes as a kid and it became obvious that it was not for me.

I figured smoking was stupid because in the fall we would rake leaves and get them into big piles and then burn them, and my grandfather would tell me to "stay out of the smoke, it's really bad for you". Of course, he smoked fairly heavily and died of lung cancer and emphysema. Duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 11:39 AM

1,852 posts, read 877,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
A pack costs $19 here

Wow! I had no idea. I remember being a cashier at Pantry Pride in the 80s and a carton was about $10!

Old 11-17-2023, 12:17 PM

840 posts, read 772,777 times
[quote=HodgePodge;66074405]Smoking cigs... do you? Do your friends and family? /quote]

No . . . No . . . & . . . No.

This applies to vaping, marijuana, & all other recreational drugs as well.

Old 11-17-2023, 05:09 PM

30,424 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I use to be an ardent smoker... for 20 yrs. Then a major health problem hit me and I had to quit.

I haven't had a cig in over 20 yrs.

I still remember the absolute joy of smoking (as only a smoker will understand) but am so glad that I don't anymore. The cost of 1 pack of cigs (25) costs around $12 and up. I remember paying $6 per and considered it expensive.

You also become a slave to the "next" cig. You plan and center your actions around getting the next cig when you are at work etc. And God forbid if you ever run out of cigs... I NEVER did because I bought them by the carton.

Most of my friends / family who smoked quit a while ago. One quit and picked it back up because his job is on the road all day and stressful.

So how many of you smoke cigs? How many per day? Do you ever intend to quit? And is it an expensive habit for you?

Do your friends smoke? Your kids?

I think that a lot of younger people don't smoke cigs anymore... just vape and marijuana. The general rule is that if a person doesn't get hooked on smoking cigs before turning 18, chance are they will never get hooked.

I was pondering this question because it seems that big tobacco is going to lose a lot of market if the younger folks don't pick it up or if us older people quit in droves.
I loved it since age 12. My last cig was in 1988 when they were a $1 pack jack. Then i smoked cigars until 2014 when it cost too much and that was it and never again man.

Old 11-17-2023, 09:07 PM

985 posts, read 540,012 times
I smoked mj for a couple of years after high school and then smoked cigarrettes for a couple of years after that because I was still hanging around the same group of people and needed something to smoke when they were smoking mj. Yuck!!! Worst taste ever! And my girlfriend at the time said it made my breath nauseating. Needless to say I did not get addicted. It did nothing for me. If I'm going to shell out a bunch of money for the product and damage my lungs in the process I might as well smoke some mj (have not in 18yrs) and get decent high off of it.

Old 11-17-2023, 09:14 PM

2,054 posts, read 996,765 times
Interesting observation that the OP and several posters use the word "cigs". When I smoked I never used that word and it wasn't used by my peers either. Almost always it was "I'm going to smoke/want to go smoke" (no need to add in 'cigarettes') or "Can I bum a smoke?" For a while I used the British slang for cigarette that starts with f, "Got a ***?", it can't be typed here on the forum so look it up.

Old 11-17-2023, 09:18 PM

985 posts, read 540,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I was behind a guy in the checkout line in the grocery store, and you could smell the cigarette stench wafting off of him. You can only imagine what his car and his house smells like.
I've got a story for you. I was on someones property for a work related issue and accidentally stepped in some dog poop. When the homeower opened the door the moldy smoke stench was overwhelming. Then I went back to my truck to clean the dog poop off of my boots and realized that the dog poop also smelled like cigarette smoke!!!! These people were smoking sooooo much in a confined space that their dogs were inhaling (and likely ingesting) the smoke and ash, so much so that their dogs poop literally smelled of cigarette smoke!!!! What is wrong with people!!!!!!

Last edited by CCS414; 11-17-2023 at 10:32 PM..

Old 11-17-2023, 10:09 PM

11,086 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I grew up post WWII and nearly everyone smoked nearly everywhere.
My mother said when my dad came home from Europe in WWII, he had 2 ammo boxes packed full of packs of cigarettes. I would be here all night telling everything else he brought home. But he smoked cigarettes, a pipe, and Roi Tan cigars for years. One day we were all sitting by the fireplace in the den and he said he was going to quit smoking. Threw his cigarettes in the fire. Didn't completely quit. He kept a few cigars for his Sunday afternoon 18 holes of golf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Nope. I worked in a tobacco factory blending and flavoring tobacco for cigarettes. It's a hot, smelly, dusty process. Workers step on tobacco leaves dropped on the floor and then toss them back on the production conveyor belts. I got a free box of cigarettes every day and as a supervisor I got a carton every other week and never opened a single one. My best friend's mother probably died early though because she and I gave all of our cigarettes to her.
It wouldn't really matter if the tobacco was on the floor of a barn dance. I worked on the loading dock and shipping area for a tobacco processing plant. After unloading it from the truck and graded, it was run through a steamer, can't remember the temperature. This was 40+ years ago. But after it was steamed, it was packed in crates, still warm, and shipped to Holland. They don't just grab tobacco off the floor and make cigarettes out of it.
I HAVE seen some men take several leaves and make a big twist of chewing tobacco, then cut off a piece and chew it. I'll pass on that one!

Old 11-17-2023, 11:11 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,536,435 times
Smoking killed both my parents, aged 52 and 66. I can’t imagine how our cars and house must have stunk when I was a kid. When I went to college, I would occasionally smoke a cigarette in a bar, until I ran into a friend of an ex-boyfriend who told me I looked horrible smoking. Never had another.

Two things that made a big impression on me as a kid was one morning when my mother was out of cigarettes and she was frantically unfolding butts and relighting them. She drove us to school, and that morning we had to leave early so she could stop at a gas station to buy a pack. The other was an American Lung Association display of a smoker’s lung next to a non-smoker’s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness