Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 04:40 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

I smoked over 30 some years ago. Don't miss it one bit. I don't think I even know anyone that smokes now.

Honestly besides the health issues, it is a stinky habit. I just hate it when someone walks up to me that has been smoking - it's just an awful smell. It just hangs on you. Yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 05:29 PM

1,824 posts, read 803,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
Sad about your sister, Calworth. I have cousins who we would visit every week as a large family gathering at Grandmas. Over the years my Aunt (who was a very heavy smoker) developed throat cancer, had that difficult surgery removing her vocal cords, and had to use the device to talk (I forget what it's called). My uncle (her husband) still smoked like a chimney, as did all five kids... and while they were around her. I could never understand why they were so thoughtless and ignorant to what their mother was going through, and how hard it was for her to breath near them. A few short years later my uncle died of lung cancer, quickly followed by my aunt. The kids still smoke to this day.

It's amazing the hold this addiction has on some that they can't even stop after seeing such painful horrible deaths of their own parents. Sad.
I’m sorry about your family members, SickofJersey. I know from observation that nicotine addiction is powerful.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:43 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Smoking seems to be a regional thing.

MidWest? A large percent of kids (people under 40ish) seem to smoke tobacco products.

Deep South? See above.

Northern seaboard? Nobody cares. But they smoke.

The great untamed West? Nobody smokes tobacco products. (However, some smoke cannibis products.)

Those are the kids that are unemployable. Still living at home, at 35.

Old 11-17-2023, 06:09 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Honestly besides the health issues, it is a stinky habit. I just hate it when someone walks up to me that has been smoking - it's just an awful smell. It just hangs on you. Yuck.
I was behind a guy in the checkout line in the grocery store, and you could smell the cigarette stench wafting off of him. You can only imagine what his car and his house smells like.

Old 11-17-2023, 07:16 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
December 12 will be 12 years since I smoked my last cigarette. It just got too expensive.

Yes, I know the joy of smoking. For about a month, I felt as though I lost my best friend, but that best friend cost me a lot of money and might have killed me (and still might for all I know).

It's good to not be a smoker anymore. I do sometimes miss the feeling of the nicotine hitting the bloodstream, the mental clarity and sharper mind it brought me, the enjoyment of a cigarette after a heavy meal or with my morning coffee or a glass of wine, but I don't miss smelling like stale smoke and being a slave to the damn things with smoking incorporated into my daily plans about working around when I could go outside and have my next cigarette.

My oldest sister still smokes. Not heavily, and not many a day, but she has never quit. She is 73 and a full-time caregiver for a husband with late-stage MS, and going out to walk her dog and have a cigarette is probably the highlight of her day. She's a retired nurse besides!

One of my brother also still smokes. He buys tobacco and makes his own to save money, but he has a heart condition and shouldn't be smoking. He does not seem to have any desire to quit. His choice.

The rest of my siblings all quit except for the youngest one, who never smoked in the first place because he hated the smell of it when the rest of us did.

My last friend who still smoked quit when she was diagnosed with and began treatment for multiple myeloma a couple of years ago. She was a fairly light smoker who had quit or gone for periods without smoking, though. I don't think I know anyone else who still smokes. My daughter says she smoked two cigarettes in her life, back in college, when drinking. She does not smoke or drink at all now. Very health-conscious.

Unlike some others, I still like the smell of tobacco when I catch a whiff of someone smoking. I can also be around someone else who is smoking and it doesn't bother me. I am not going to smoke again.

Old 11-17-2023, 08:09 AM

5,010 posts, read 592,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It just got too expensive.
A pack costs $19 here

Old 11-17-2023, 08:20 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
I quit the day after Thanksgiving, 1992. That was because I wanted to get in shape for a bicycle trip from NJ to Montreal.

Anyone can quit if they have a good reason. The hard part for those who can't quit, must be coming up with the right reason.

Old 11-17-2023, 09:01 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
No one in my immediate family does.

I used to smoke cigars or a cigarillo every now and then, but I haven't in a year or so. I know some young blue collar guys who dip, but don't smoke, and a lot of that is a regional thing.

Old 11-17-2023, 09:01 AM

2,069 posts, read 1,010,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I was behind a guy in the checkout line in the grocery store, and you could smell the cigarette stench wafting off of him. You can only imagine what his car and his house smells like.
A few years ago an older neighbor passed away. I was involved with a group of neighbors who pitched in to clean up the property and salvage what we deemed good enough for an estate sale. I never knew the woman but she had obviously been a heavy smoker. The inside of the house stunk so badly there was talk of ripping out all the walls and replacing them. The area directly around the master bathroom toilet had yellow, sticky gunk built up on the walls and ceiling...gives the term pot smoker a new meaning. LOL I've seen yellowed ceilings like that in old dive bars where people smoked for decades, but never in someone's home.

I ended up buying one of her cars and amazingly it was immaculate inside. She must have had a no-smoking policy in her vehicles.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:06 AM

5,010 posts, read 592,542 times
I worked for a telecommunications company back in the day of landlines. We would receive phones returned to us that were not the original color. Hard to imagine, but some people yakked and smoked for such a long time that their telephone turned yellow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness