Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 05:39 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times

Advertisements

Back in the day, everyone in my family smoked: both parents, two brothers--and me. We all quit except for my mother who smoked up to the day she died (of COPD and congestive heart failure) @ 80.

My dad died @ 80, too, of a heart attack. But I think he really died of a broken heart after my mom died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 05:40 PM

129 posts, read 170,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
I smoked from age 14 through 28. I stopped when I met my wife, although it wasn't easy. But I'm quite stubborn and refused to let cigarettes control me. One of the rare times my stubbornness saved me!!!

My checkups show clean healthy lungs for years. I'm thankful for stopping before it was irreversible.

Now I have moved to the south (Raleigh area), and work with many who travel from even deeper south. I'm surprised by the amount of men and even women who "chew". I find it so much more disgusting than smoking. And so many are missing teeth and have terrible breath. And it's not just the older generation, many 20 somethings chew to.

I wonder when the next "awakening" with both chew and vaping will come. Both are as terrible to your health.
My buddy has dipped since 15 and just quite a few months ago. His teeth were like you'd picture someone looking with wooden teeth. It's crazy how much better they look now that he's stopped believe it or not.

Old 11-15-2023, 05:41 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
The ones I've known were only "occasional" smokers which seems really odd to me. Only when drinking or in bars. Hence, the smell didn't stick to them or their clothes. It wasn't an issue, surprisingly.

Except my husband who told me he started in his 20s by being around his co-workers who all did it. Mineral exploration. Then he switched to chew but quit that decades before I met him.

I almost cannot believe it since he's always been a health nut otherwise.

I've never even tried one.

Interesting factoid: where we retired in So. America, smoking is just not in their culture. No one smokes and I've never seen cigs for sale, even.

Old 11-15-2023, 07:08 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
We have very close friends that are both smokers, and we took them on vacation with us once. Never again. Every time we turned around, they had to go smoke, or we had to sit outside so they could smoke, or they had to roll down the windows in the rental car to smoke, messing up my hair.
That reminds me of the week I spent with a friend who came to visit me. He had rented a car so we took a few day trips around the area. No smoking allowed in the rental car, and I swear this guy had to stop every 30 minutes or so to smoke...scenic views, rest areas, parking lots, etc. It became not only awkward but annoying. At one point I said sarcastically "You realize you're a drug addict, right?" I don't remember what he said, but really they are drug addicts.

When I used to smoke it was never constant like that. Usually 2-3 cigarettes in the evening after work with a drink as a "treat" after a long day. Sometimes I would blaze up at a party or get-together and burn through most of a pack, but my lungs & nose paid the price for that the next day. Ugh.

Old 11-15-2023, 07:33 PM

1,126 posts, read 607,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
At one point I said sarcastically "You realize you're a drug addict, right?" I don't remember what he said, but really they are drug addicts.

When I used to smoke it was never constant like that. Usually 2-3 cigarettes in the evening after work with a drink as a "treat" after a long day. Sometimes I would blaze up at a party or get-together and burn through most of a pack, but my lungs & nose paid the price for that the next day. Ugh.
You were an occasional smoker... one of my friends did that. He only smoked when at certain parties while drinking.

As a smoker I never understood that. Smoking is an inherently unnatural thing to do... so if you aren't addicted (need to do it), why even do it?

Anyways you are correct... smoking is 10000% a drug addiction. The only difference is that the government and society normalized it and even encouraged it back in the day.

We had to freedom to light up EVERYWHERE. Nobody in the restaurant, store, vehicle etc ever complained or looked at you funny. In fact you felt "cool" etc.

Now if you light up people give you the stink eye and walk away from you lol.

I am glad that society has changed to this new model. Peer pressure to make smoking as a disgusting habit. It really does encourage people to quit and others never to pick up the horrible habit.

Old 11-15-2023, 08:45 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
My sister was never able to stop smoking. When I was a kid, I would visit for a couple of weeks & come back with all my clothes reeking of smoke. She died of small cell lung cancer, it was a horrible death. I miss her every day.

Spouse quit smoking 30 years ago. We would cross the border to Tijuana to buy Nicorette gum for him. He was a ******* during his nicotine withdrawal. I thought I might kill him. But, he did it & I’m glad. But, in spite of quitting, he has COPD. He would probably be as dead as my sister if he hadn’t stopped.

Old 11-16-2023, 02:46 AM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Never smoked a cigarette in my life. I have smoked hookah, cigar, or vape occasionally for a special occasion.

I will never understand the appeal of cigarette chain smoking, you are a walking ashtray for your friends and family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If I see someone who is still smoking, I’m afraid I judge them as being ignorant and weak.
I judge a heavy cigarette smoker as being ungrateful for the human body they have. Ungrateful for the lungs they were given.

I've met/dated beautiful women who were smokers, but eventually, either I had to go or they had to stop smoking. Only once did they pick me over the cigarettes.

Old 11-16-2023, 02:51 AM

814 posts, read 442,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
The ones I've known were only "occasional" smokers which seems really odd to me. Only when drinking or in bars. Hence, the smell didn't stick to them or their clothes. It wasn't an issue, surprisingly.

Except my husband who told me he started in his 20s by being around his co-workers who all did it. Mineral exploration. Then he switched to chew but quit that decades before I met him.

I almost cannot believe it since he's always been a health nut otherwise.

I've never even tried one.

Interesting factoid: where we retired in So. America, smoking is just not in their culture. No one smokes and I've never seen cigs for sale, even.
Your husband's quitting had the same effect as me, I became a health nut (to a degree). I went into healthy food, exercise, and just good living. At 61 when I tell people I was a smoker for a good 14 years, they are just as surprised. I tell them quitting was the best healthy thing I ever did in my life, because it changed my entire lifestyle. I also admit that it probably wouldn't have happened without my wife.

Old 11-16-2023, 02:58 AM

814 posts, read 442,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
My sister was never able to stop smoking. When I was a kid, I would visit for a couple of weeks & come back with all my clothes reeking of smoke. She died of small cell lung cancer, it was a horrible death. I miss her every day.

Spouse quit smoking 30 years ago. We would cross the border to Tijuana to buy Nicorette gum for him. He was a ******* during his nicotine withdrawal. I thought I might kill him. But, he did it & I’m glad. But, in spite of quitting, he has COPD. He would probably be as dead as my sister if he hadn’t stopped.
Sad about your sister, Calworth. I have cousins who we would visit every week as a large family gathering at Grandmas. Over the years my Aunt (who was a very heavy smoker) developed throat cancer, had that difficult surgery removing her vocal cords, and had to use the device to talk (I forget what it's called). My uncle (her husband) still smoked like a chimney, as did all five kids... and while they were around her. I could never understand why they were so thoughtless and ignorant to what their mother was going through, and how hard it was for her to breath near them. A few short years later my uncle died of lung cancer, quickly followed by my aunt. The kids still smoke to this day.

It's amazing the hold this addiction has on some that they can't even stop after seeing such painful horrible deaths of their own parents. Sad.

Old 11-16-2023, 06:51 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Nope, you sure can't. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on the planet. Believe me, this person would love to stop smoking. At this point, it is no longer a choice. Maybe be a little more empathetic?

They can manage to make it through a funeral where it would absolutely not be acceptable to smoke outside, so they can wait through a dinner too. I have no empathy for people who use "addiction to smoking" as a crutch to be outright rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness