Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 11:24 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
We have some friends that smoke, but we don't. We have ashtrays outside for them when they come over, and that's usually where we hang anyway. Most vape.

We have very close friends that are both smokers, and we took them on vacation with us once. Never again. Every time we turned around, they had to go smoke, or we had to sit outside so they could smoke, or they had to roll down the windows in the rental car to smoke, messing up my hair. I was driving and the contract was under my name so I put the kibosh on that, but the rest we dealt with, although by the end of the vacay we were leaving them behind and telling them where to meet us, since they would also pop open a beer and sit while they had that ciggie, while we were waiting to go somewhere.

To this day, I don't think they ever even thought of how inconvenienced we were by their ridiculous habit.

never again is right.

We went out to dinner with another couple that we are friends with, after appetizers the husband had to go outside to smoke, then after the dinner he had to go out to smoke, then we had desert.
the wife didn't even seem phased. I didn't like it at all.

To me I felt it was like he was saying the smoke was more important than the social visit, I mean you really couldn't wait until the whole entire dinner event was over to go out and smoke? seriously?

So, when we got home we both agreed, On no! never again will we ever go out to dinner with them, we haven't, and any time they ask, we just say no, this is not a good day for us, other than that we love them and are friends, we just don't go out to dinner with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 11:25 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
If I see someone who is still smoking, I’m afraid I judge them as being ignorant and weak.

This being said, I still occasionally miss lighting up a cigarette, but I would never do it again.

Old 11-15-2023, 11:36 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,624 times
I have never smoked, nor did my mom, dad or sister. My husband, his siblings and parents were all heavy smokers. DH used to smoke and chew - I told him to give up smoking since I didn't want it in the house or vehicles and definitely nowhere near our kids; he continued chewing with the stipulation that if the kids got into the spit cup he would have to drink it - he NEVER let the kids get into it.

His family was pis*ed when I used to ask them NOT smoke in our home or
when they were holding the babies (they would literally smoke and blow the smoke on the other kids in the family).

Even after my DH's aunt died of lung cancer my in-laws continued to smoke. We hardly visit since there is tar on their ceilings, floors and walls and despite showering the smells clings to my hair, skin and clothes as well as in our vehicle.

Old 11-15-2023, 11:41 AM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
My mother died age 65 of emphysema from a lifetime of smoking. Doctor said her lungs were completely coated with heavy black tar. Good reason for not smoking.

Old 11-15-2023, 11:54 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
What astonished me was that 20 or so years ago my mother stopped completely. She's 94 now and that's about as good as it gets, since she has outlived her parents and all of her siblings.

Leonard Nimoy should have been so lucky. Sigh.

Old 11-15-2023, 12:39 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

To me I felt it was like he was saying the smoke was more important than the social visit, I mean you really couldn't wait until the whole entire dinner event was over to go out and smoke? seriously?

Nope, you sure can't. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on the planet. Believe me, this person would love to stop smoking. At this point, it is no longer a choice. Maybe be a little more empathetic?

I quit twenty years ago. I cannot stand to be around it but still know plenty of people who smoke. Many who didn't start until their twenties.

I smoked 2 1/2 packs a day. They hardest this I've ever done was quit.

Old 11-15-2023, 01:16 PM

1,123 posts, read 607,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Nope, you sure can't. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on the planet. Believe me, this person would love to stop smoking. At this point, it is no longer a choice. Maybe be a little more empathetic?

I quit twenty years ago. I cannot stand to be around it but still know plenty of people who smoke. Many who didn't start until their twenties.

I smoked 2 1/2 packs a day. They hardest this I've ever done was quit.
Agreed. Only a hardcore smoker will understand the addiction.

Especially the old school smokers who got addicted when you can smoke anywhere and anytime.

I am quite happy to hear the responses that basically states that most ppl don't smoke anymore. It's one of the dumbest things to do with your $$$. Even drinking alcohol (even though that is bad too) is not as bad for you as smoking... well in low amounts.

The next scary thing is vaping and smoking weed. It's the younger generation's new vice and the new cigs.

Old 11-15-2023, 04:02 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
The only smoking family member I've ever met was my maternal step-grandfather. There was always a mad scramble in our house to unearth an ash tray or two in time for their holiday visits. One year when he was in his early 80s someone noticed they hadn't needed to empty the ash tray set out just for him.

"Gramps, you don't seem to be smoking these days. Did you quit?"

He reared back in his chair, peered through his Coke bottle thick glasses and remarked "Sure I did. Decided it wasn't good for me."

"You've smoked since your 20s, Gramps. Didn't you find quitting hard?"

He reared back even more and looked surprised:

"No, why would it be? When I make up my mind to do something I DO IT!"

He was such a grand old gent!

There was one smoking friend of my parents who eventually became my godmother. She smoked in her 20s like most of her peers at the time but quit because she didn't like everything smelling like cigarette smoke. I can't recall her or her home ever smelling like cigarettes. She's now 96.

Can't bring to mind any personal friends who smoke tobacco. Peer pressure or not, getting a buzz or not, deliberately filling my lungs with irritating combustion byproducts just seemed like such a dumb idea. I was never even tempted to try it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-15-2023 at 05:29 PM..

Old 11-15-2023, 05:21 PM

129 posts, read 170,224 times
I smoked up to 2 packs in one night at parties starting in high school and usually a pack during the day. I quit a few years after college cold turkey. I find cigarette smell to be offensive right up there with cat urine. My dad and brother have smoked since they were 15. Dad, 80, quite about 5 years ago, although he developed COPD and will eventually die from it. My brother started coughing up blood about 6 years ago and is still smoking. He also drinks alcohol like it's water and you can literally smell it coming through his pores. He's lost most of his teeth, all his clothes reek or cig smoke, and it's really starting to catch up with him as of recently (health-wise); he's 50. My sister and her husband smoke together about 4 packs a day. She smoked through her pregnancy so I can't imagine anything that will get her to quit if not the birth of your children and wanting to set a good example (or be there for them as long as possible).

Kids nowadays smoke electronically. "Carts" I believe is the new thing that is sold in gas stations. You can apparently stuff them with weed or nicotine oil. I'm sure the big tobacco companies will find a way to adapt. After all, Philip Morris started preparing for cannabis options long before the majority of states had legalized.

Old 11-15-2023, 05:29 PM

813 posts, read 442,048 times
I smoked from age 14 through 28. I stopped when I met my wife, although it wasn't easy. But I'm quite stubborn and refused to let cigarettes control me. One of the rare times my stubbornness saved me!!!

My checkups show clean healthy lungs for years. I'm thankful for stopping before it was irreversible.

Now I have moved to the south (Raleigh area), and work with many who travel from even deeper south. I'm surprised by the amount of men and even women who "chew". I find it so much more disgusting than smoking. And so many are missing teeth and have terrible breath. And it's not just the older generation, many 20 somethings chew to.

I wonder when the next "awakening" with both chew and vaping will come. Both are as terrible to your health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness