Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 12:40 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times

Advertisements

Quite a few of us live with the knowledge of what our cause of death will be (assuming nothing unexpected steps up to claim us sooner). Problem is, we just don't know the date. Sounds a lot like everyone else's life, doesn't it? It's what you do during your life that's meaningful, not how long it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2023, 02:50 PM

1,433 posts, read 665,723 times
I am not wondering at all when I'm going to die. Well maybe a little?
I am wondering why the women of my mothers era are dying so much earlier than their mothers.
I am wondering why all these great new meds , testing , etc. did not lead to a longer life.
I am wondering why a greater variety of food choices and knowledge about those choices didn't .

Maybe my circle of family /friends don't reflect the rest of the US but the women are dropping earlier around here.

Old 11-13-2023, 02:57 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
I am wondering why the women of my mothers era are dying so much earlier than their mothers.
I am wondering why all these great new meds , testing , etc. did not lead to a longer life.
I am wondering why a greater variety of food choices and knowledge about those choices didn't .

Maybe my circle of family /friends don't reflect the rest of the US but the women are dropping earlier around here.
I guess to answer that, you'd have to start by studying what exactly everyone died of.

Did the younger generation have an unhealthier diet, a more sedentary life, and other poor lifestyle choices? That's not at all out of the realm of possibility.

Old 11-13-2023, 03:12 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times

The reason is probably going to vary with every individual. You'd need to analyze every decision each of them made that might have life altering consequences. The result of actions people take during their lives are cumulative. Death, why, when or how it occurs is often the result of a life lived. Unless they happen to be a victim of a totally unexpected, out-of-the-blue accident. Every person is an individual expression of their genetic makeup (predispositions as well as how that individual person reacts to their environment) as well as their choices. The genetic makeup of your grandmothers was different than the genetic makeup of your mother...because fathers and grandfathers were different. Families marry into other families and the children of those unions end up being different genetically because of it.

You don't know that they didn't. You have no way of knowing how long that person might have lived if they didn't have access to any of them. For all you know, their lives would have been even shorter than they were.

I am wondering why a greater variety of food choices and knowledge about those choices didn't.

Once again, there's no way to know whether they did or didn't. You can't re-live the person's life over again following a different diet.

There are so many unanswerable questions OP. Up to you to decide which ones to spin your wheels over. Frankly, not sure how productive these particular questions will be for you.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-13-2023 at 03:44 PM..

Old 11-13-2023, 03:46 PM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post

For your circle of family / friends to be statistically relevant, it would need to have a population of at least 400. After about 1500 the margin of error starts levelling off.

I did read an article less than a month ago that noted that over the past decade or two deaths came earlier for people who lived in the American South than for the average American. The author's claim was that a combination of Southern culture and a lack of available/affordable health care was the reason for the discrepancy.

Old 11-13-2023, 03:47 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times
My mother died (heart attack) age 77, admitted to hospital because she felt suddenly ill, maternal grandmother died age 69, maternal g-grandmother died age 75, I don't know either of their causes of death.
I saw this topic posted after trying to get a death report today of what heart issue my mother died from because my doctor wants to add to my medical history.

I'm 69 and fairly healthy (don't smoke) and active but sudden heart attacks happen. My mothers father died of sudden heart attack age 63, non-smoker non-drinker.

My mother-in-law died age 71 (lung cancer, non-smoker) and she was a healthy person. Father-in-law dropped dead of abdominal aneurysm age 64 (long time smoker and drinker).

It's hard to make sense of who lives and who dies. Husband had a relative who lived to 96 and she was Alzheimer patient for about 30 years.

Old 11-13-2023, 03:55 PM

1,063 posts, read 907,865 times
from the beginning: Your mother or your grandmother?
mother.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:46 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Mother: 91
Her mother: 99

Old 11-13-2023, 06:57 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Mother-a few years longer 89 to 84. Grandfather at 89.
Father died at 40 in an accident, his mother at around 40 or so, "apoplexy", his father at around 30, Spanish Flu pandemic.

Old 11-13-2023, 07:01 PM

1,199 posts, read 531,929 times
Mother: One month short of 97

Grandma: 86
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness