Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 07:40 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Obesity is a character flaw. It indicates a fundamental lack of will power and self-control.
Hmmm . . . interesting. So many questions come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2023, 07:45 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That isn't "all this drug does," as the article tells you. It also slows motility/stomach emptying; in other words, it has a direct effect on the digestive system, which is why so many (not all, but many) are developing digestive problems on it -- such as the woman in the article who died.
First, I believe that one of the most important systems in the body is the food system. Mess with it and pay the price. The body puts powerful energy into making sure you have enough and will fight you all the way.

But this drug hasn't been tested at all (Like a lot of them) and even though we do know of several deadly side effects the unscientific doctors simply don't care anymore. They would prefer you risk your life than be fat. Madness. As for the possible other side effects, who knows if in 10 years we will find out this drug causes cancer. In fact, 50% of all diet drugs have been linked to cancer eventually. This is usually the reason it is pulled off the market.

This drug also doesn't work because the moment you get off it you gain it all back.

Old 11-25-2023, 09:20 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

This drug also doesn't work because the moment you get off it you gain it all back.

Only if you consume more calories than you burn. But I'd imagine most people who take it for weight loss struggle with that principle or they wouldn't be on it in the first place

Old 12-26-2023, 10:10 AM

118 posts, read 95,524 times
I am down 66.4 lbs using Tirzepatide (Mounjaro) and it has changed my life.

Old 12-26-2023, 11:24 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
A relative is starting Ozempic. She has struggled with weight for decades. She had bariatric surgery many years ago and gained back everything she lost. It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut when I learned a few years ago that she had taken up baking (cakes, breads, etc) as a hobby. I wanted to scream NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Sadly, I expect a poor outcome of the Ozempic experiment. I think food is her best friend.

Moving along toward trouble as expected. Her doc told her to increase dose after a month but after a month she had already list almost 15 pounds, way more than most do and a bit higher than is healthy from what I understand about weight loss. It seems to me the low dose was working extremely well. But she was so excited about the potential to lose more she increased the dose anyway. This is not going to end well.

Old 12-26-2023, 04:04 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Obesity is a character flaw. It indicates a fundamental lack of will power and self-control.
Being tactless and insensitive is also a character flaw, indicating a fundamental lack of willpower and self-control.

But an obese person can lose weight. So, there's that.

Old 12-26-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
First, I believe that one of the most important systems in the body is the food system. Mess with it and pay the price. The body puts powerful energy into making sure you have enough and will fight you all the way.

But this drug hasn't been tested at all (Like a lot of them) and even though we do know of several deadly side effects the unscientific doctors simply don't care anymore. They would prefer you risk your life than be fat. Madness. As for the possible other side effects, who knows if in 10 years we will find out this drug causes cancer. In fact, 50% of all diet drugs have been linked to cancer eventually. This is usually the reason it is pulled off the market.

This drug has been extensively tested. Sematlutide was first studied in a phase II clinical trial in 2008. Then in 2012, researchers at Novo Nordisk developed the injectable and named it Ozempic. Clinical trials didn't start until 4 years later in 2016, and ended in 2017.

Then, in 2021, another clinical trial - this time phase III randomized double-blind, was performed in a worldwide trial, and then a review in 2022 showed that semadlutide was more effective than previous anti-obesity drugs, but less effective than bariatric surgery.

So yes - it not only has been tested, it's been extensively tested for the past fifteen years.

You only gain weight back after losing it, if you return to your previous unhealthy eating habits. If a drug has your appetite and motility suppressed such that you can only eat 1200 calories a day - and then you get off the drug and continue to only eat 1200 calories a day - you won't gain back the 100 pounds you lost. It just won't happen.

Old 12-26-2023, 07:02 PM

I can't edit my post above - obviously my fingers have trouble putting the word Semaglutide in the text buffer, and it's showing I've misspelled it even when I type it correctly.

Old 12-27-2023, 07:20 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I can't edit my post above - obviously my fingers have trouble putting the word Semaglutide in the text buffer, and it's showing I've misspelled it even when I type it correctly.
I just say Ozempic even when I mean Wegovy or whatever else it's now called, including the generic version. Everyone understands what that is.

Old 12-27-2023, 07:23 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You only gain weight back after losing it, if you return to your previous unhealthy eating habits. If a drug has your appetite and motility suppressed such that you can only eat 1200 calories a day - and then you get off the drug and continue to only eat 1200 calories a day - you won't gain back the 100 pounds you lost. It just won't happen.
But WITHOUT the appetite suppressing and motility slowing effects of the drug, which is the only thing enabling them to eat less (often for the first time in years or decades), the majority of people most likely will once again eat more without the drug. It doesn't "teach you new habits" or "instill willpower"; it simply makes you less hungry -- a temporary effect, it turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness