Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 06:09 PM

5,010 posts, read 594,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If she got the injections at the doctor office, then you would think that they followed the instruction.
That's not how it works. You inject yourself at home once weekly. According to the article you posted she went to see her doctor only when she was feeling ill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2023, 08:03 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,864,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Women die every day - literally - from birth control pills. But I don't see posts about how they are unsafe.

This one death does not mean that the medications are unsafe. How many people died of conditions related to obesity each year? I'm going to guess it's more than one.

I think the problem people have with these medications being used for weight loss is that because of their effectiveness, it suggests that obesity is an actual biological issue and not a character flaw. So people who haven't struggled with it can't claim some moral superiority anymore. Antidepressants were like that when they first came out. Just cheer up! Just get out and do things! I do those things and I'm not depressed. It works for me, so that means it should work for everyone else. Sound familiar?

Obesity is much more complex than people think. Doctors are just scratching the surface on causes. And no, it's not always as simple as calories in / calories out. It's also just not as simple as eat less / move more any more than treating depression is just a matter of cheering up.

You make some good points. 400,000+ people in the United States die every year of "medical errors", and yet people still go to the hospital for surgery.

However, obesity isn't all that complex. You'll never go wrong with "eat clean, know your BMR, know your macros, and exercise". The problem with the vast majority of Americans that are obese likely lies in what they consume. Ultra-processed foods are horrible, and have contributed to lots of medical problems, but the average person often doesn't think about the cleanliness of their diet. A 2,000 calorie/day diet of pure junk will yield far different results than a 2,000 calorie/day diet of clean eating. Most doctors are poorly trained on nutrition, and even fitness, so their advice is often that of a 30,000 foot view. My own doctor does a poor job of really grasping the relationship between proteins, fats and carbs, so poor that I offered to refer him to my nutritionist. The reality is that if 90% of Americans were both nutritionally and physically fit, it would blow a trillion dollar hole in the revenue of Big Pharma/Big Medical.

Old 11-12-2023, 09:38 PM

5,010 posts, read 594,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
......The reality is that if 90% of Americans were both nutritionally and physically fit, it would blow a trillion dollar hole in the revenue of Big Pharma/Big Medical.
Yes, a slimmer population might lead to cost savings in the healthcare industry. Ozempic is also affecting the economy. Walmart, for example, found that customers buying Ozempic and other GLP-1 drugs spent less on food year over year but more on lifestyle and fitness.

Old 11-13-2023, 05:37 AM

21,889 posts, read 12,991,949 times
As I understand it, it works not only -- or even primarily -- on the brain, but on the digestive tract, slowing motility so users feel full longer on less food. That would be the "delayed gastric emptying." The reported "brown stuff coming from her mouth" almost sounds like backed-up fecal matter, which can definitely kill you. Some have no problem with it, while others develop severe/fatal digestive problems, to the point where there's now a class-action suit being advertised by a certain prominent law firm (although I'm sure users are warned about possible side effects, including death). Just from hearing people talk, apparently you can get it not only from your doctor and not only for blood sugar control with Type II diabetes (Ozempic, specifically) and weight loss for morbid obesity (Wegovy, specifically), but also generic versions from random weight loss clinics around town from non-professionals and even, imported from China, on Internet websites with no medical supervision at all. Look around and you'll see people who were always heavy dropping weight like crazy and posting their success online -- sometimes admitting to the use of these drugs and sometimes not! Even Whitney Thore of "My Big Fat Fabulous Life" is suddenly no longer "Fat" (she doesn't admit to use of these drugs, but got caught posting about it in an archival dig) and is now looking at changing the name of the show. To answer one poster's question, yes, you have to remain on it for life or you'll regain the weight, and it's upwards of $1k/month if not covered by insurance. This widespread use is causing shortages for those who truly need it for diabetes. At any rate, as tempting as it is to shed my stubborn menopause pounds (hormones ALSO wreak havoc with weight, for the "calories in/calories out" people), I'll wait and see how the guinea pigs fare as I do with all new drugs/shots.

Last edited by otterhere; 11-13-2023 at 06:04 AM..

Old 11-13-2023, 07:18 AM

36,428 posts, read 16,038,061 times
Why in the world do doctors prescribe Ozempic for weight loss?

Old 11-13-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Why in the world do doctors prescribe Ozempic for weight loss?
As I said above, they don't; they prescribe Ozempic for Type II diabetes and Wegovy for weight loss.

But, as I also said, there are NOW multiple versions of these drugs AND multiple places to get them.

Old 11-13-2023, 08:21 AM

3,216 posts, read 1,682,361 times
Weight loss is so easy. Just stop eating sugar and starches. Lay off the chips, fruits, coffee loaded with sugar, and snacks. You don't even need to workout. 15 lb weight loss in 2 months just getting rid of sugar.

Old 11-13-2023, 09:03 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,325,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Obesity is a character flaw. It indicates a fundamental lack of will power and self-control.
Agreed.

Four, five decades ago, people did not eat too much like now. They worked hard to make their own food from scratch. They walked more. They did not sit for hours in the front of TVs and computers like now. That was why most people back then were slim. Yeah, there were people who were couch potatoes in the front of TVs in the old day though and drank lots of beers, and they were fat too. But the population of fat people was not like now.

Nowadays, go to Costco, Wal-Mart, giant wholesales stores, and look at those who have carts full of tons of things are fatter than those who have less. Go to the health food store, and see how many giant people are in there? None.

It's all about will power and self-discipline. If you let yourself loose, you make lots of excuses, blame on medications, food, genes, etc... You can gain weight in no time. And when you gain it, it's very hard to lose.

I've experienced myself when I let myself loose and have self-discipline. I've seen the different results. When I gained weight, I did not blame on food, medications, on other people who tempted me to eat. I looked at myself in the mirror and said that I was fat, ugly and unhealthy. I wanted to change. So I made goals for myself: eat less, exercise, move around more, to have self control. And I lost weight to the way I wanted. I felt healthier, prettier and happier. Simple.

Old 11-13-2023, 09:21 AM

And what, pray tell, is your "simple explanation" for those who live this modern lifestyle and do/eat everything wrong and STILL remain rail-thin? Because I know quite a few of those...

At least for post-menopausal women (which this woman was), hormones are a thing. Apparently she had tried other methods of weight loss without success.

Old 11-13-2023, 09:40 AM

6,360 posts, read 2,905,161 times
Quote:
Wegovy, other weight-loss drugs scrutinized over reports of suicidal thoughts

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has received 265 reports of suicidal thoughts or behavior in patients taking these or similar medicines since 2010

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...ts-2023-09-28/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness