Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 06:37 AM

21,953 posts, read 9,537,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
^^^Very helpful and much appreciated information. I only have one good arm to use for blood draws so I try to spread out any draws if I'm able to do so. I've always been concerned about the repeated blood draw situation. I did ask one phlebotomist and she said that if necessary they'd use my feet. That doesn't sound like much fun to me.
Agree. They said it is painful and bruise a lot, I think.

I just think the person in the lab wasn't very experienced. I just gave her the benefit of the doubt going in. My policy is one failed stick and you have to find me someone else. Even worse in a lab where they are doing this all day every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 10:16 AM

1,151 posts, read 866,379 times
About using the feet. Some institutions have policies against using the feet because of the high incidence of diabetes. One would always ask if they are diabetic and that was a no go.

I tried to draw blood using the feet and I failed miserably. I could not get the needle to penetrate the skin. The skin is so much thicker down there that the needle would bend rather than penetrate directing it to go where I didn't want it to.

By far the next preferred site to draw blood is the hand. The skin there is thin but the veins are more mobile, not anchored, and they lay flat. The angle of entry is different than the arm. Depending on the vein most are smaller and would take time filling the tube.

Old 11-10-2023, 11:03 AM

11,143 posts, read 9,782,011 times
I get blood draws only 2 or 3 times a year, but when I do they always fold up a couple of small gauze pads and place right on the hole and then tape it down really hard with either the paper tape or the stretchy wrap around the elbow. They fold it small like a sugar cube almost, and tape it super tightly. Usually prevents a bruise at the site. I don't know if they can see that from my chart that I'll need that because I'm on a blood thinner, or what. I also hold my arm above my head and press hard on the hole for a minute or two before they tape it.

Old 11-10-2023, 01:11 PM

14,964 posts, read 12,178,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I get blood draws only 2 or 3 times a year, but when I do they always fold up a couple of small gauze pads and place right on the hole and then tape it down really hard with either the paper tape or the stretchy wrap around the elbow. They fold it small like a sugar cube almost, and tape it super tightly. Usually prevents a bruise at the site. I don't know if they can see that from my chart that I'll need that because I'm on a blood thinner, or what. I also hold my arm above my head and press hard on the hole for a minute or two before they tape it.
I think your holding your arm up and pressing on the needle hole goes a long way in preventing bruising. I also take a blood thinner, and have found that even putting a wad of gauze, with some self-adhering pressure wraps over the site ( used by phlebotomists in the draw stations/doc's offices where I have my blood drawn) isn't enough without that finger pressure to prevent a bruise.

Old 11-10-2023, 02:19 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,785,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
About using the feet. Some institutions have policies against using the feet because of the high incidence of diabetes. One would always ask if they are diabetic and that was a no go.

I tried to draw blood using the feet and I failed miserably. I could not get the needle to penetrate the skin. The skin is so much thicker down there that the needle would bend rather than penetrate directing it to go where I didn't want it to.

By far the next preferred site to draw blood is the hand. The skin there is thin but the veins are more mobile, not anchored, and they lay flat. The angle of entry is different than the arm. Depending on the vein most are smaller and would take time filling the tube.
Hopefully I'll never have personal knowledge of a foot blood draw. Sounds awful for everyone involved. My hand should be pretty easy as I have prominent veins which I hate, esthetically. Good to know that's actually an asset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness