Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 02:09 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times

Advertisements

Might have missed something in a search but I have an earache starting today, pain even w/each swallow. Thoughts on an easy tip to ease it? I already take an allergy med. everyday, it's not swimmer's ear (as far as I know). TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2023, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyChyk View Post
Not even going to to to a site w/that name from a new member

Old 11-06-2023, 04:00 PM

563 posts, read 677,666 times
Have you tried popping your ears a few times by squeezing your nose and mouth shut and blowing? My ENT taught me that easy remedy for an ear ache..

Old 11-06-2023, 04:03 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You can still buy "sweet oil" for earache on Amazon, as well as Similisan. My Mom used both of those for the awful earaches I had as a child and I'm 73 now, so they've been around quite awhile. They helped relieve the pain a lot, and quickly too as far as I remember.

Old 11-06-2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
You can still buy "sweet oil" for earache on Amazon, as well as Similisan. My Mom used both of those for the awful earaches I had as a child and I'm 73 now, so they've been around quite awhile. They helped relieve the pain a lot, and quickly too as far as I remember.
My mother always talks about this - had no idea it was sold anymore.

Old 11-06-2023, 09:22 PM

682 posts, read 718,586 times
I have always done the heating up salt trick. Here is what you do if your ear aches.....

For earaches, put a cup of salt in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes. Use coarse salt and dump it into a thick sock. The sock is to prevent burns. Apply the sock to the painful ear and it draws fluid out of the ear and makes the ear feel better.

My mom and grandma always did this for us and it really relieves the pain. Mom always just used the normal table salt and put it in an washcloth secured with a rubber band. She would heat the salt on the stove for a little bit and then spoon it into the cloth.I found that a sock works better than a washcloth, but you can use whatever you have that is not thin material. This is a good pain relief that is drug free and is made with materials that everybody has already in their house. No going out to the store when you feel crappy and a quick remedy while you are in pain.

Last edited by beckerd2; 11-06-2023 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: abc

Old 11-06-2023, 09:30 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Well said!

Give this one a scan...https://www.verywellhealth.com/otalg...r-pain-1191949, there are many possible causes so have your doctor look at if the pain continues.

Last edited by Heidi60; 11-06-2023 at 09:39 PM..

Old 11-07-2023, 08:51 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
My Italian grandma used warm olive oil; mom used any kind of cooking oil.

But 25 years ago, my ENT recommended mixing equal parts white vinegar and 90% rubbing alcohol and using that as eardrops. Has worked nearly every time since, and is also good for getting rid of earwax.
It does dry the ear canal, which can cause itching, so after the earache clears up, I often add a drop or two of mineral oil in the ear.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:10 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,050,099 times
Need to check with DR for an ear infection.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:38 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
The Eustachian Tube drains the middle ear to the back of the throat. It's like a funnel, wide at its start and the opening behind the tonsil is tiny. If you have small or absent tonsils and a big mouth, you may be able to see your own pin hole opening in the mirror.....That narow Eustachian Tube easily swells shut when aggravated by allergies, infections, bum tooth, etc etc...Once it swells shut, air pressure in the middle ear can;t equalize as pressures in there change....When you swallow, the pressure goes up, then down. The popping sound you hear is the pressure bulging the ear drum and then relaxng it....This is a huge problem in little kids with smaller E. Tubes than adults. It's why they always cry on airplanes, particularly on take off and descent as cabin pressure changes.

Cold temps tend to shrink the Eustachian tube, while heat tends to open it up...hence all the old wives' cures--they all involve heated fuids in some way. It's the heat, not the oil, salt or eye of newt that makes the difference.

Popping your ears by exhaing against a pinched nose and closed mouth should be done gently-- you can blow out your ear drum if too vigorous an attempt is made. All these "cures" are temporary if the cause is not addressed...

...and of course, if the pain is worse than your previous experience or if it persists, an accurate exam & diagnosis is advised..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness