Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 09:41 AM

1,088 posts, read 578,483 times

Advertisements

Has anybody here experienced migraines? That is a working theory of what I'm currently dealing with. Two months ago, I got new glasses with special lenses and I had a hard time adjusting to them. Some days the constant adjusting of my eyes was leading to headaches.

I had a lengthy visit with my eye doctor yesterday, during which we determined that the prescription I'd been given was slightly off. He also suggested migraines as a possible explanation for my recent symptoms. Based on basic internet research, it seems like a credible suggestion, but I'm a chronic worrier so who knows?

I have switched back to my old glasses until my prescription can be modified, but my symptoms persist, at least today they do. Very mild, but still there.

Can anybody else who has dealt with migraines share your experience so I can compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2023, 10:29 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,541,791 times
Family member has had migraines for many years. Sometimes "mild" and other times need the ER. Been to neurologists. Has very strong meds if a migraine is starting. The headaches can last for days.

Sinus headaches can be pretty bad too.

Old 11-03-2023, 10:36 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
For me, bright light can be a trigger. It does sound to me like the changes in your prescription may have been a cause, and going back to your old prescription even for a day is causing your eyes to adjust again.

You can also consider (as noted above) sinus or allergy causes.

Old 11-03-2023, 03:39 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
I don't have chronic migraines, but I do get them every so often. Just the other day, I noticed that a migraine aura was starting--usually it feels like I am looking through a fisheye lens and can't focus. I was able to take some medication and lie down in a quiet room and it didn't get too bad. Sometimes I feel so nauseated that any light, sound, smell can make my head throb and my stomach turn.

Old 11-03-2023, 04:10 PM

7,239 posts, read 5,117,125 times
First, let's get the definition of migraine straight...It's ahead ache, almost always one-sided, almost always relieved by sleep, often accompanied by a visual "aura" and usually extremely severe. They are often set off by monthly hormonal changes, particualr foods and such. They are more common in women (who cares? It's yours that counts.) They tend to appear first in adolescence or early adulthood.

Just like angina pectoris, interittent claudication in the legs or that pain in the side you got when you ran too far as a kid, migraine is caused by a spasm of a meningeal artery, temporarily shutting down blood flow....Breathing high concentration O2 during an attack should relieve it immediately, and it's use is diagnostic as well as therapeutic.

In Michael's case, the coincidence of a new prescription for glasses and the first appearance of severe headaches lasting for days makes migraine a less likely diagnosis. Therapy should be directed at correcting the visual problems and use of appropriate analgesics....For true migraine, NSAIDS don't usually work. Narcotics work because they lessen your reaction to the pain. The ergotamine-related drugs work by relieving the vascualr spasm and won;t work if it isn't a "true" migraine..

We often use the word "migraine" to decribe any severe headache. That makes it easier to communicate with those who don;t need to know details of our suffering, but medically, we need an accurate diagnosis to direct the treatment appropriately.

Old 11-03-2023, 04:36 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
First, let's get the definition of migraine straight...It's ahead ache, almost always one-sided, almost always relieved by sleep, often accompanied by a visual "aura" and usually extremely severe. They are often set off by monthly hormonal changes, particualr foods and such. They are more common in women (who cares? It's yours that counts.) They tend to appear first in adolescence or early adulthood.

Just like angina pectoris, interittent claudication in the legs or that pain in the side you got when you ran too far as a kid, migraine is caused by a spasm of a meningeal artery, temporarily shutting down blood flow....Breathing high concentration O2 during an attack should relieve it immediately, and it's use is diagnostic as well as therapeutic.

In Michael's case, the coincidence of a new prescription for glasses and the first appearance of severe headaches lasting for days makes migraine a less likely diagnosis. Therapy should be directed at correcting the visual problems and use of appropriate analgesics....For true migraine, NSAIDS don't usually work. Narcotics work because they lessen your reaction to the pain. The ergotamine-related drugs work by relieving the vascualr spasm and won;t work if it isn't a "true" migraine..

We often use the word "migraine" to decribe any severe headache. That makes it easier to communicate with those who don;t need to know details of our suffering, but medically, we need an accurate diagnosis to direct the treatment appropriately.
This. I've suffered from migraines most of my adult life. So did my mother and one sister. Not to the degree they were considered chronic. I did try one of the newer preventatives but didn't like the side effects. I developed a home care routine instead that usually helped but sleep probably did the most. Over the years I did use quite a bit of sick leave because of them. Took a while to pin down the precise circumstances that ended up triggering one, partially because hormone cycling confuses the matter. Most often, a major rapid change in barometric pressure seemed to be the primary culprit.

What the OP described does not sound like a migraine. I've also worn prescription glasses and used OTC readers. If the prescription or the lens correction happened to be off, I certainly could end up with a headache but it wasn't the same as a migraine. No aura, no sensitivity to light or sound, no nausea, dizziness, just the ache. Tylenol, aspirin, an NSAID plus resting my eyes invariably relieved them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-03-2023 at 06:06 PM..

Old 11-03-2023, 06:35 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Has anybody here experienced migraines? That is a working theory of what I'm currently dealing with. Two months ago, I got new glasses with special lenses and I had a hard time adjusting to them. Some days the constant adjusting of my eyes was leading to headaches.

I had a lengthy visit with my eye doctor yesterday, during which we determined that the prescription I'd been given was slightly off. He also suggested migraines as a possible explanation for my recent symptoms. Based on basic internet research, it seems like a credible suggestion, but I'm a chronic worrier so who knows?

I have switched back to my old glasses until my prescription can be modified, but my symptoms persist, at least today they do. Very mild, but still there.

Can anybody else who has dealt with migraines share your experience so I can compare?
Stop "researching" medical problems on the internet. Based on MY "research" you probably have an inoperable brain tumor and will die within 6 months. Based on my neighbor's "research" your headaches are the result of poor gut health and you just need to take a probiotic supplement and eat kimchi every day to cure them.

If your eye doctor "suggested" that migraines are a "possible explanation" then go to your normal regular doctor to get it checked out.

Migraine headaches are not normally mild. They're normally debilitating. They start as a dull throb, and become a mind-numbing sharp crack in your skull, expanding down your neck, between your shoulder blades, around your head to your eyes, giving you palpitations, causing nausea and sometimes temporary blindness, sensitivity to light and sound, and can last anywhere from a couple of hours to a few days.

If switching from a new rx eyeglass to your previous ones made your headaches milder, then it's the glasses, not a migraine.

Old 11-03-2023, 09:44 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
I've thrown this out there before, but I'll repost it.

If anyone is having ongoing migraines, have a doctor do a thorough check of your ears. My mom had what she thought were migraines all her life. She got dizzy, got sick, had to lay down, etc. Classic migraines.

Except when she was about 50 or thereabouts (I don't remember exactly), one of her doctors thought he saw a hole in her eardrum. They did a closer examination and she did have a hole in the eardrum. They patched it and she never had another "migraine" again.

It's worth a shot, anyway, especially if nothing else works.

Old 11-03-2023, 10:33 PM

17,991 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post

I first started getting migraines in about 1989 or so.

The frequency was about twice a year in the beginning, I think. In the beginning, I was distinctly blind, such as in my left or right field of vision, then light sensitivity, then once vision came back, extremely nauseous, needing to lay down in a dark room.

Then, as time wore on, slightly more frequent, with lesser after nausea symptoms.

Now, I seem to get a migraine after intense work on a computer program.

I think at most, I get them about four times a year.

That's my experience.

Old 11-03-2023, 10:51 PM

315 posts, read 195,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't have chronic migraines, but I do get them every so often. Just the other day, I noticed that a migraine aura was starting--usually it feels like I am looking through a fisheye lens and can't focus. I was able to take some medication and lie down in a quiet room and it didn't get too bad. Sometimes I feel so nauseated that any light, sound, smell can make my head throb and my stomach turn.
Those are the same symptoms I’ve suffered from since the onset of puberty, initially debilitating to the point of having to remain in bed for days. Over the years they’ve decreased from monthly to occasionally now with milder symptoms. Medication does help along with rest in a dark environment. Mine seemed to be triggered by stress or bright lights. It doesn’t sound like what michael917 is experiencing is a migraine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness