Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 05:14 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,210,718 times

Advertisements

Just gonna throw this out there

I've been doing this guys program for over two years and its helped my posture and flexibility immensely. Everything is connected.

And for $70 bucks you can access the daily stretches for life. 15 minutes a day. Highly suggest

https://www.yogabody.com/21-day-hips/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 08:02 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Just gonna throw this out there

I've been doing this guys program for over two years and its helped my posture and flexibility immensely. Everything is connected.

And for $70 bucks you can access the daily stretches for life. 15 minutes a day. Highly suggest

https://www.yogabody.com/21-day-hips/
For free, you can get his 15-minute flexibility stretches anytime you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ1PzhThqcU You can even download a free PDF that he offers from that youtube.

Of course, if you aren't flexible to begin with, you won't be capable of doing MOST of those exercises. Leaning against the wall and bending over a low stool? Heh - good luck, folks with short hamstrings. If you can do that, you can already touch your toes and you don't need flexibility training.

I'm very flexible. I can still do a front/back split, I can get around halfway down with a side-split, I can not just touch my toes, but press my palms flat on the floor. I can still turn a cartwheel, and I sit in the lotus position most of the time, even on chairs, because it's comfortable for me.

And yet - I'm bone-on-bone arthritis in my hips, I have degenerative disk disease, osteopenia, osteoporosis, and I have bursitis in my right hip. I have trouble standing still and then trying to walk, it's very painful. No amount of flexibility will make that pain go away, there's nothing wrong with my tendons, muscles, or connective tissue. When MOVING causes your bones to grind against each other, then - yoga is not what you need to relieve the pain.

Old 10-12-2023, 08:30 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
When MOVING causes your bones to grind against each other, then - yoga is not what you need to relieve the pain.

Probably true...but yoga can help you from losing range of motion (Which I'm sure you know), the loss of which can only add to one's pains and miseries.

Old 10-15-2023, 06:24 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
"Anterior pelvic tilt" is normal. It's not a diagnosis, condition, disease, or illness. If you have acute lordosis, there are exercises you can do to correct it, or surgery if it's severe. If you're young, a brace can correct it. Everyone has lordosis. Lordosis just refers to the curve in your lower spine. An anterior pelvic tilt is what the line from front to back looks like, at your lower spine.

Your pelvic tilt doesn't cause back strain, or weak abs, or weak glutes. You can see a pretty decent explanation here on YouTube from this fitness guy who cites sources including the original source of the myth that anterior pelvic tilt is some kind of nefarious thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYCEPh6k4tA

There's so many medical things online where you can find totally opposite recommendations depending on where you look. LOL.. good example is seed oils. Most reputable government institutions recommend seed oils as a healthy alternative to saturated fats, whereas most online internet health gurus push the "inflammation" narrative as a reason to avoid them.

I guess do what works for you to reduce pain. For me maintaining a posture that did not include an anterior tilt improved outcomes and just plain made it easier to do activities because of the core and glute engagement that occurs from maintaining a neutral pelvis.

There may be something to the stress induced causes of pain promoted by people like Dr Sarno as well. All I know is that western nations have more back/hip pain than developing nations. Is it because we sit too much? Too much psychological stress? Both?

https://nypost.com/2023/03/06/jimmy-...ing-back-pain/

Last edited by sholomar; 10-15-2023 at 06:38 AM..

Old 10-17-2023, 03:46 PM

17,362 posts, read 16,505,917 times
I suppose it depends on what is causing your hip pain but good walking shoes are a must. Many times knee pain, feet pain, back pain, hip pain can be alleviated altogether or at least minimized by some good walking shoes.

Old 10-17-2023, 04:03 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,865,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I suppose it depends on what is causing your hip pain but good walking shoes are a must. Many times knee pain, feet pain, back pain, hip pain can be alleviated altogether or at least minimized by some good walking shoes.
I have a new chiropractor because I had a nasty injury fall 2 years ago while wearing flipflops on an uneven porch/deck. Several months later, diagnosed with Bursitis. Didn't heal which they said it probably would. Later an injured IT Band was finally diagnosed and I'm waiting for test results about possible RA.

Fast forward to now, I just got out of the ER a couple hrs. ago after an incredibly severe muscle spasm on the same side as the bursitis and IT band injury. It felt like childbirth labor. You know how those contractions never let up or seem not to? That's what this was like. My friend drove me to the ER for a muscle relaxer shot and a Toradol shot. Now I just feel sore, like I've done a 1-hour workout.

If I would've simply worn good shoes instead of flipflops this might not have happened. And paying attention to where my feet land - uneven boards - again this likely wouldn't have happened. You know what they say, it takes a crisis or a tragedy for things to change.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:02 PM

19,202 posts, read 16,686,206 times
I often have pain when trying to sleep. I'm a side sleeper. What works for me is to place a pillow between my knees. It levels out the leg on top and the pain is gone instantly. My doctor gave me that tip when I was too young to have hip pain. I filed that nugget of information away for a time when I'd need it. I'm using it now.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:59 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
My hip pain disappeared when I had a new titanium one installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness