Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2023, 12:47 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
this study infers that antibiotic usage is a trigger for shingles. so if genociding gut bacteria is a cause.....improving gut health may reverse it. might consider going on gut bacteria health protocol and leaky gut repair protocol

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36301976/

Prior antibiotics and risk of subsequent Herpes zoster: A population-based case control study

Results: The study found an association of antibiotic prescription and subsequent risk of varicella zoster virus infection (adjusted odds ratio of 1.50; 95%CIs: 1.42-1.58). The strongest association was with a first antibiotic over 10 years ago (aOR: 1.92; 95%CIs: 1.88-1.96) which was particularly pronounced in the younger age group of 18 to 50 (aOR 2.77; 95%CIs: 1.95-3.92).

Conclusions: By finding an association between prior antibiotics and Herpes zoster this study has shown that antibiotics may be involved in the reactivation of the varicella zoster virus. That effect, moreover, may be relatively long term. This indirect effect of antibiotics on viruses, possibly mediated through their effect on the microbiome and immune system, merits further study.

more at link...
We know that people with weakened immune systems are more likely to develop Shingles but also any bacterial infection. So are these people taking more antibiotics because their immune systems are worse and ergo more bacterial infections and likelihood of developing shingles? Chicken and the egg kind of dilemma here.

Last edited by WaikikiWaves; 08-25-2023 at 02:05 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 02:07 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I was diagnosed with shingles this morning and started on valacylovir. It’s on my back and chest, and under my armpit all on the right side.

It does not itch but it is painful enough to interfere with falling asleep. If anyone else has had shingles, how did you manage the symptoms? Advil isn’t doing much.
Here is some info from a previous post in 2020 that might help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capoeira
A relative of mine had shingles recently. The rash outbreak started on the evening of May 16. It was preceded by back pain a week earlier that initially seemed to be of the sciatica type.

On May 18 she got a prescription for Valtrex and was also in lots of pain at the time. The Valtrex did not seem to do much except for a slight lessening of the pain. On May 21 she started with two scoops of Lauricidin, a monolaurin supplement.

By May 24 all pain was gone and the rash was improving. She kept on 2 scoops of Lauricidn until the end of May and in June has been taking one scoop as a maintenance dose.

She also took 1000 mg Liposomal Vitamin C, Pure Synergy Vitamin C, Herb Pharm Lemon Balm, Host Defense Lions Mane and Mushroom Wisdom Lions Mane.

She believes the monolaurin was the key to her very rapid recovery but who knows, maybe it was the Valtrex.

The Lions Mane and Lemon Balm recommendations were from Stephen Buhner's Herbal Antiviral book.

The ppt-health site was also extremely helpful.

https://www.ppt-health.com/disease-p...-and-shingles/

https://books.google.com/books?id=0e...ane%22&f=false
Lauricidin is a very popular brand of monolaurin.

https://www.amazon.com/Lauricidin%C2...OQ/ref=sr_1_5?

There are 9 reviews that mention it for shingles. To find them scroll down to "Looking for specific info?"
and type shingles in the search box.

Here are some more resources.

https://drmarquart.com/shingles/

https://dralexrinehart.com/articles/...mune-benefits/

“Protocol for Naturally Healing Shingles” - OMTimes Writer's Community

https://www.ppt-health.com/shingles-...les-outbreaks/

https://www.ppt-health.com/?s=shingles

A healing meditation before bed might help with sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS7XowzEW0k

Old 08-25-2023, 11:41 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I hope your healing comes fast! I got shingles at 23 while going through chemo - to add insult to injury! Such a weird illness. I never really itched but it came on so fast. When I left work, I was fine but half an hour later it had progressed so much that the pressure of my seatbelt on my hip was causing me to break into sweats from the pain.

I was able to work full time during chemo (against doctor's orders, but I needed the insurance and rent money) except for a few days here or there when I had a bad day after chemo infusion. With shingles, I was out sick for a whole week because I was unable to wear clothes, it hurt so badly. For me, even a gentle brush of a loose skirt or robe on my hip or leg led to blinding, searing pain. I was living with a roommate at the time in a small apartment with a shared bathroom, so for a week I had to text him to let him know that I was going to the bathroom or to make food in the kitchen and if he could stay in his room because I had to do it naked. Luckily, he was good enough to grab food delivery for me since we were on a 4th story walkup and there's no way I could have done that on my own!

They put me on valacyclovir immediately, and I was already on gabapentin due to nerve pain in my jaw from the chemo. Gabapentin probably took the edge off - definitely worth asking your doctor about. Getting on valacyclovir ASAP likely helped the most medically.

Pressure also seemed to help - but only consistent, broad pressure. I spent a lot of time laying on that side, for instance. I wasn't able to make wraps work due to where it was (from about my waist down my hip and down my outer thigh), but that may be an option for you. My oncologist recommended Tylenol PM to knock me out so I could get some sleep, and I spent a lot of time resting to try to heal up my immune system. We also added L-Lysine to my already extensive vitamin regime thanks to the cancer - I suspect Vitamin C, B-12, and Vitamin D would also help (all were things I was taking already)!

Old 08-25-2023, 11:52 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
^ I forgot about the nudity part. Eventually discovered ACE rolls (several, IIRC) for constant pressure and Teva pads next to the rash-blisters. I may have used lidocaine spray since I was looking for anything to take off the edge.

Old 08-25-2023, 12:14 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
Quote:
Thanks. I was planning on getting the vaccine but I’m not sure you can get it at age 50.
I got it at 55.

Old 08-25-2023, 12:17 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
Quote:
I was diagnosed with shingles this morning and started on valacylovir. It’s on my back and chest, and under my armpit all on the right side.

It does not itch but it is painful enough to interfere with falling asleep. If anyone else has had shingles, how did you manage the symptoms? Advil isn’t doing much.
If you're interested in an alternative viewpoint, pm me (I know most aren't, so don't want to waste time posting just to be chastised).

Old 08-25-2023, 01:45 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
If you're interested in an alternative viewpoint, pm me (I know most aren't, so don't want to waste time posting just to be chastised).
Post it anyways. I’m for one interested. Always like to hear new takes. It’s a discussion board not an echo chamber

Old 08-25-2023, 01:50 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Can your doctor give you some prednisone too? When dh had it last year he was given both. You might experiment with other types of pain relief. See if ibuprofen or acetaminophen works better.

If you caught it early, it should clear up in a week or so.

Old 08-25-2023, 02:41 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
the danger of getting Shingles on your face can be very grave.

Shringrix is not a 100% assured product but much more effective than the previous vaccine.
GL.
I've had shingles twice over 20 years apart, both times on my face. Also, a run in with post herpetic neuralgia. Second time it happened while on a 2 week road trip . Even though there are more ominous complications possible with facial shingles (eye/vision damage, facial paralysis, etc.) in an odd way I felt lucky. Having the rash on your face may invite more curious glances/winces from strangers but you don't have to tolerate clothing or your body weight/heat on it either. It also covers a smaller area and IME at least, not nearly as painful as I've heard others report about an outbreak on their trunk.

The second time I caught it very early having been through it before. Both times I was prescribed the anti-viral of the day. Only used oral steroids once because it was diagnosed later; it was more advanced. At the time of the first outbreak, Acyclovir was brand new...and expensive. Seemed to recall my co-pay (same insurance both times) was around $450. Still both times the anti-viral knocked it back quite quickly. Within a few days the discomfort was mostly gone. I had waited for the most current Shingrix vaccine to come out and promptly got the shot. If the previous pattern for me continued to be the facial form, the last thing I wanted was to risk my eyesight or facial nerve damage. I was advised to wait about 6 weeks after the second outbreak was over to get the vaccination.

In terms of antibiotics and immune system, I've hardly ever had an infection serious enough to warrant antibiotics. The scarred old bod just seems to heal pretty easily on its own. However, I did go through a fairly harsh course of cancer chemo in my 30s.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-25-2023 at 03:46 PM..

Old 08-25-2023, 03:18 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Can your doctor give you some prednisone too? When dh had it last year he was given both. You might experiment with other types of pain relief. See if ibuprofen or acetaminophen works better.

If you caught it early, it should clear up in a week or so.
No always. My DH got Shingles 3.5 years ago. He got the antiviral day 1. He still suffers from post herpetic neuralgia. The neurologist has said there’s no way to when or even if it will go away.

I’d encourage everyone to get the vaccine. If your arm hurts for a few days, that’s better than years of pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness