Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 12:26 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,021,767 times

Advertisements

If the basis of the check is related to control substances and prescription shopping, some states now require it through their statewide system. You are free to say no, and even hell no just like the provider is free to tell you to find another doctor. Based on the opioid crisis, I'll say this may start becoming more and more common with legitimate providers especially with dug addicts using pain management services as their dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 01:34 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,019,839 times
Just remember the illicit does not mean the same thing as illegal. Illicit means you have (or had) no legal authority to have it.

Me, I've had in my lifetime my hands on morphine and other narcotics, MJ, and barbiturates......at least....but they were not illicit for they were all under official duties or with proper clearance.

The point is, often we don't know the difference of those terms until we run into the question about them.

Old 08-22-2023, 01:38 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,211,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As presented, it seems weird to me.

The weird thing that happened to me was wanting to go to a particular gastroenterologist, and when I stopped in to make an appointment I wasn't asked if I had a referral. I was told that if I had ever gone to any other gastroenterologist in my current state, that she wouldn't accept me as a patient.

I heard a similar story recently from someone else. Makes no sense at all.

Old 08-22-2023, 01:44 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,211,224 times
It is weird to me they assume I am on a controlled substance or want pills. I actually want to change doctors because I want less pills . . .My blood pressure is getting so low on all this "health" I can barely get out of bed. (Systolic was 101 this morning). BP like that might be fine if it is natural but I don't think I need pills to get there - that is just overkill. And no I am not diabetic, fat, and I don't have heart problems. It is just like they think "more is better".

Last edited by ihatetodust; 08-22-2023 at 01:52 PM..

Old 08-23-2023, 05:49 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,110,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
As for the permission to see another doctor, each clinic or hospital operates under its own rules, and needing permission to see another doctor is also not unusual. I see a GP at a local suburban clinic that is owned by a large hospital in the city. I am only allowed to see this one GP there. If he is busy or on vacation, I am not allowed to see any other GP there, or at any clinic operated by this hospital, even if it is a matter of life and death. I know this because one time when I was very sick, I could not get in to see my GP for seven weeks due to his busy schedule!! They would not let me see another GP there, or at any of their other locations. Many hospitals take this same attitude, that is you must see the doctor that you are assigned.
I had a similar experience when my deceased husband had cancer & I wanted him to get a second opinion from a different medical center. His doctor absolutely refused to send a referral, because the health system required him (the Dr) to keep referrals within the same system. Then, because every person fighting cancer wants to fill out more paperwork, he had to go through the insurance company to change doctor names to a Primary Care Physician who would then refer him to an oncologist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
It is a health risk and it is a liability risk. Not all doctors share information with each other, not all medical records systems are connected to each other. It's only recently (think opioid crisis and all the attendant publicity) that states are now taking steps to try and have this information more readily available for other health care providers to access. It's also one of the reasons prescription refills are given in smaller quantities, to minimize the risk of overdose and death and mixing medications.
My husband & I also had a real time with his meds. The Dr would prescribe meds, then we would have to go from pharmacy to pharmacy looking for the meds. We couldn’t call to ask if a pharmacy had the meds first, because they wouldn’t say over the phone (for security reasons - afraid they’d get robbed). We had to show up, my husband had to walk in (to the back of the store where all the pharmacies seem to be located, had to show his drivers license, only to be told they didn’t have it. There was one day that we went to SEVEN different pharmacies.

It’s ridiculous that sick people have to go through this because some idiot might break in and steal the drugs. You know, there was a time in some countries, they cut your hands off if you were caught stealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
It is weird to me they assume I am on a controlled substance or want pills. I actually want to change doctors because I want less pills . . .My blood pressure is getting so low on all this "health" I can barely get out of bed. (Systolic was 101 this morning). BP like that might be fine if it is natural but I don't think I need pills to get there - that is just overkill. And no I am not diabetic, fat, and I don't have heart problems. It is just like they think "more is better".
I want less as well, which is why I’m currently looking for a new doctor. My current one had me taking this and that. I was still in pain and felt as though I was on autopilot. I felt nothing emotionally. So I slowly stopped taking all but one pain med and one maintenance med, only to find my doctor mad at me.

Old 08-23-2023, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
It’s ridiculous that sick people have to go through this because some idiot might break in and steal the drugs.
I have over 100 employees and none have ever reported having any issues with any prescription at any pharmacy or getting second opinions, or even switching doctors.
In my community, I know many neighbors who always yap about their medical issues and but for prescription shortages or provider appointments a bit to far out, never have I heard any experience similar to what you experience.

I'm wondering if your experiences might have more to do with you health/drug insurance.

Old 08-23-2023, 07:00 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,110,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I have over 100 employees and none have ever reported having any issues with any prescription at any pharmacy or getting second opinions, or even switching doctors.
In my community, I know many neighbors who always yap about their medical issues and but for prescription shortages or provider appointments a bit to far out, never have I heard any experience similar to what you experience.

I'm wondering if your experiences might have more to do with you health/drug insurance.
We both had United Healthcare - with a $6K deductible, I might add. I’m sure the pharmacy issues had everything to do with the meds prescribed because they were for cancer treatment. The issue about having to change doctors to get a second opinion has everything to do with the medical center making money. And as far as MY care, me not wanting to take a handful of drugs shouldn’t cause my doctor to get snarky with me.

So, whether you have 100 employees or 1000, none of your employees will know how they will be treated until they are REALLY sick.

Old 08-23-2023, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
We both had United Healthcare -
That's a company, not the insurance. What type of insurance plan do you have?

United Healthcare has dozens of health insurances plans, so the "company" isn't always a factor when discussing issues with health insurance, their services, policies or their providers.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:31 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,509,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i work in health care and regarding controlled substance use, yes there are people who go to several doctors and get meds from several different doctors and they are at risk for overdose and death and yes this happens and when it does any of the prescribing doctors can get in trouble for not checking carefully enough if the person was getting meds from other doctors. It is a health risk and it is a liability risk. Not all doctors share information with each other, not all medical records systems are connected to each other. It's only recently (think opioid crisis and all the attendant publicity) that states are now taking steps to try and have this information more readily available for other health care providers to access. It's also one of the reasons prescription refills are given in smaller quantities, to minimize the risk of overdose and death and mixing medications.

that's what comes to mind reading this thread topic
Docs and pharmacists check your state’s PDMP for this reason. The only way your opiate Rx doesn’t make it there is if your Doc or pharmacist gives you drugs under the table.

My first guess is they want to do a financial background check to see if the OP has any outstanding medical debt . Depending on their insurance, many people can shop around clinics, get services and not pay. You can send them to collections but nothing generally happens as medical debt is treated differently.

Old 08-25-2023, 01:08 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,590,876 times
{shrug}. Let ‘em check all they want. Other than that unpaid library fine from 1967, I’m in good shape. But I will say that none of the many doctors we have used in the last few years have felt the need for a background check. I guess I just look honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness