Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 05:56 PM

578 posts, read 303,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
DH is has been on xaralto for abouot 7 months. He is 80 and has had a tendency to bruise and bleed easily for years - like a dog scratch will create a bruise or scrap a bit of skin off. Seems that he has VERY thin skin.

Now that he's on blood thinners, the cuts and scrapes are very frequent and take a long time to stop bleeding. Never profuse bleeding, but it can go on for several days. The bleeding restarts when he takes of the bandage/bandaid. I had to replace out sheet for white ones because of the blood stains - again, not profuse puddles, just some spots the size of a tic-tac to maybe a half-dollar.

Anybody found any solutions to this when he gets a cut or a scrape?
Nothing why? I still clot appropriately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 05:03 AM

8,762 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
So those are like skeptic pencils/gel, right?

Anyone ever find anything that would actually protect his skin while working in the garden, playing with the dogs, going to a neighbor's home who has a large dog that jumps?
Maybe wearing long sleeves? My DH wears long sleeves to protect him from the sun. They make long sleeve shirts that are real light with SPF protection. Also he should be wearing long pants to work in the garden. You never know about snakes or spiders, depending where you live.

Old 08-19-2023, 05:40 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Maybe wearing long sleeves? My DH wears long sleeves to protect him from the sun. They make long sleeve shirts that are real light with SPF protection. Also he should be wearing long pants to work in the garden. You never know about snakes or spiders, depending where you live.
That's been my solution when I trim bushes outside. Though I announced I was done trimming the big bougainvilla monster outside the house, as the thorns on that bush are long and numerous and always seemed to get me even when I wore long sleeves and pants. I always ended up on the losing end of that battle with numerous scratches on my arms, sometimes legs and even on my abdomen as I reached up to get the higher branches. I figured if I tried to trim that bush ( it was about 9 feet high and growing against the house) when I started taking Eliquis I'd end up looking like I'd lost a fight with Freddy Kreuger.

Old 08-19-2023, 05:47 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
We don’t take blood thinners right now, but dh does have very easily scratched arms. After pruning a bush his arms look like he wrestled a lion. Amazon sells sleeves for gardening that work great.

Old 08-19-2023, 08:27 AM

3,058 posts, read 2,035,841 times
I'm not on blood thinners but wear these when gardening because I have naturally thin skin and always getting scratched
https://www.amazon.com/Kevlar-Sleeve...10&sr=8-7&th=1

I didn't buy these, mine look like my arms have tattoos lol

Old 08-19-2023, 10:16 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Dad is 94, taking eliquis and scratches easily working in the yard, but he clots very well. there is alwasys a bandaid on him somewhere, he gets blood bruises, I do also, just bump a doorway and boom a blood bruise. If I get scratched or tangle with the cats, it's the V-shaped thin skin cut, takes a while to heal, I'm not on blood thinners.

Old 08-19-2023, 04:57 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I don't know if the loose powder is available anymore but personally, I wouldn't think a pencil or roller ball is the my hygenic thing to use.

Old 08-19-2023, 04:58 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I don't know if the loose powder is available anymore but personally, I wouldn't think a pencil or roller ball is the my hygenic thing to use.
Lots of alcohol in both.

Old 08-19-2023, 05:25 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
To say nothing of reusing them!!!

Old 08-20-2023, 05:34 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,666,585 times
Quote:
So those are like skeptic pencils/gel, right?

I find this hard to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness