Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 04:34 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times

Advertisements

It seemed like the medical industry was starting to come around to the idea that many of the common chronic diseases can be prevented or helped by improving one's lifestyle. Some MDs have been recommending better nutrition, more exercise, etc. Common sense things, which they had mostly ignored in the past. Patients were left to assume drugs and surgery would be the best answers to any health problems they might have, especially when getting older.

But medical research has shown, repeatedly, that yes lifestyle does matter, and drugs should be a last resort.

That is only one side of the story, however. I have also been hearing, increasingly, people saying that most of the common diseases are caused by genetics. Not influenced or partly caused by genetics. Simply caused by genetics.

Now, of course, it is usually a combination of BOTH genetics and lifestyle. We all hear about the 95 year old in great health who drinks a quart of whiskey and smokes 10 packs of cigarettes every day. And we also hear about the athletic health nut who died at 40 from heart disease.

But what is wrong with all these discussions is that PROBABILITIES are not considered! It is highly unlikely the athletic health nut will die of heart disease at 40. It is VERY LIKELY the 65 year old guy who sits on in front of the TV hours every day eating processed food will die before his time from heart disease.

Medical doctors, some of them, maybe many of them, are tragically misleading their patients out of ignorance of probabilities.

But maybe it isn't so much out of ignorance. Maybe it's a way to promote the usual strategies of the medical industry -- drugs, expensive invasive tests, surgery. If people are convinced their lifestyle won't matter, they will rely on medical procedures instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 05:30 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times
I have no idea where your concepts of what doctors think and do come from, but they are laughable.

Management of conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease starts with lifestyle changes. Doctors do recommend them, and patients ignore the recommendations.

If you have a blood pressure of 220/120, you could stroke out while you try to control it with diet and exercise.

Perhaps you should stop handing out medical advice since you really, really do not know what you are talking about and people who listen to you could be harmed.

Old 08-17-2023, 06:39 PM

1,147 posts, read 860,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It seemed like the medical industry was starting to come around to the idea that many of the common chronic diseases can be prevented or helped by improving one's lifestyle. Some MDs have been recommending better nutrition, more exercise, etc. Common sense things, which they had mostly ignored in the past. Patients were left to assume drugs and surgery would be the best answers to any health problems they might have, especially when getting older.

But medical research has shown, repeatedly, that yes lifestyle does matter, and drugs should be a last resort.

That is only one side of the story, however. I have also been hearing, increasingly, people saying that most of the common diseases are caused by genetics. Not influenced or partly caused by genetics. Simply caused by genetics.

Now, of course, it is usually a combination of BOTH genetics and lifestyle. We all hear about the 95 year old in great health who drinks a quart of whiskey and smokes 10 packs of cigarettes every day. And we also hear about the athletic health nut who died at 40 from heart disease.

But what is wrong with all these discussions is that PROBABILITIES are not considered! It is highly unlikely the athletic health nut will die of heart disease at 40. It is VERY LIKELY the 65 year old guy who sits on in front of the TV hours every day eating processed food will die before his time from heart disease.

Medical doctors, some of them, maybe many of them, are tragically misleading their patients out of ignorance of probabilities.

But maybe it isn't so much out of ignorance. Maybe it's a way to promote the usual strategies of the medical industry -- drugs, expensive invasive tests, surgery. If people are convinced their lifestyle won't matter, they will rely on medical procedures instead.
That only exists with experience based medicine where subjective beliefs come into play. The trend since the inception of medicine in the Americas has been experience based and plant based. It progressed with the scientific principles and evidence based medicine. The evidence comes from the studies and by definition the studies all involve numbers and probabilities.

To say that doctors don't take into account probabilities is the same as saying they don't listen to studies. There has been a push in recent historical past first stated by countries with Universal Health and their ability to follow patients all of their lives, are outcome based studies.

Clinical studies address specific clinical questions that generate probabilities so one does not have to guess or rely solely on experience based medicine. The conflict between experience based and evidenced medicine was brought to the publics attention with COVID treatments.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:44 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I have no idea where your concepts of what doctors think and do come from, but they are laughable.

Management of conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease starts with lifestyle changes. Doctors do recommend them, and patients ignore the recommendations.

If you have a blood pressure of 220/120, you could stroke out while you try to control it with diet and exercise.

Perhaps you should stop handing out medical advice since you really, really do not know what you are talking about and people who listen to you could be harmed.

Exactly!

Old 08-18-2023, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
That only exists with experience based medicine where subjective beliefs come into play. The trend since the inception of medicine in the Americas has been experience based and plant based. It progressed with the scientific principles and evidence based medicine. The evidence comes from the studies and by definition the studies all involve numbers and probabilities.

To say that doctors don't take into account probabilities is the same as saying they don't listen to studies. There has been a push in recent historical past first stated by countries with Universal Health and their ability to follow patients all of their lives, are outcome based studies.

Clinical studies address specific clinical questions that generate probabilities so one does not have to guess or rely solely on experience based medicine. The conflict between experience based and evidenced medicine was brought to the publics attention with COVID treatments.
MDs are not scientists, are not necessarily trained in statistical analysis. And their patients mostly are not. I know that SOME MDs are telling their patients disease is all genetic so don't bother improving lifestyle. Take the drugs.

Old 08-18-2023, 02:44 AM

And, by the way, doctors should be allowed to use their clinical experience. Now they are robots, forced to follow the consensus of the moment. Medical research very often is not replicated, turns out to be defective. During covid, especially, the consensus about the vaccines was political and authoritarian. MDs could NOT express any skepticism to their patients.

Old 08-18-2023, 04:34 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:

I can't rep you again right now without spreading it around first, but

Old 08-18-2023, 04:41 AM

Quote:

You always say that, and it is ridiculous. If a doctor says "You should improve your lifestyle, eat less salt cholesterol, and fat, exercise 20 minutes 3 times a week. However, if that fails it's ok there are medications that will do the same thing" OF COURSE they either will ignore it or follow it and find it does not work.

Low salt, low cholesterol, low fat diets have no effect on most heart disease. Exercising 20 minutes 3 times a week is not nearly enough.

And even if they gave the correct lifestyle advice, framing it with "But don't worry you can take medications if that doesn't work" makes patients think the drugs are as good as lifestyle changes.

I had an experience with a doctor who told me I need statin drugs because my HDL number was high. She was very obese, and never asked me about my lifestyle.

I generally avoid doctors -- I had only gone because of a horrible allergy, which it turned out I had to figure out myself, doctors were no help.

Friends I know who see MDs have the same kind of experience as I had. But they trusted the doctors and are on drugs. Getting terrible muscle pains and cataracts, etc., which of course have nothing to do with statins.

Old 08-18-2023, 05:13 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post

I had an experience with a doctor who told me I need statin drugs because my HDL number was high. She was very obese, and never asked me about my lifestyle.

I generally avoid doctors -- I had only gone because of a horrible allergy, which it turned out I had to figure out myself, doctors were no help.

Friends I know who see MDs have the same kind of experience as I had. But they trusted the doctors and are on drugs. Getting terrible muscle pains and cataracts, etc., which of course have nothing to do with statins.
I have never heard for statins being taken for a high HDL number if the LDL wasn't high as well.

I have an aunt who got Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which was probably linked to the statins she took.

As for doctors they seem more interested in lab test results without checking the rest of the person's lifestyle as well as family medical history before prescribing all kinds of drugs (which aren't always necessary).

Old 08-18-2023, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I have never heard for statins being taken for a high HDL number if the LDL wasn't high as well.

I have an aunt who got Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which was probably linked to the statins she took.

As for doctors they seem more interested in lab test results without checking the rest of the person's lifestyle as well as family medical history before prescribing all kinds of drugs (which aren't always necessary).
I thought it was strange when she circled the total cholesterol number in red and told me I would die (when??) if I didn't take statins.

When I got home I went straight to Dr. Google, and found out my risk of heart disease, based on the ratio, was ZERO.

But some doctors believe it's the total cholesterol number that counts.

And aside from all that -- in most cases, high cholesterol (LDL and triglycerides) is a SIGN of heart disease, NOT a cause!! So taking statins to lower cholesterol makes no sense. Unless you have the specific genetic disorder where cholesterol is extremely high and blocks arteries.

Statins are anti-inflammatory, and that is why they have been shown to have a slight benefit in some research. But if you want to get rid of chronic inflammation, decrease carbohydrates and increase exercise!!!!

Last edited by Good4Nothin; 08-18-2023 at 05:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness