Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2023, 04:59 PM

7,149 posts, read 12,694,343 times

Advertisements

Wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

After a short course of prednisone (for an allergic reaction from an insect bite), my blood pressure went nuts--shot up to 200/100--and my heart rate went from 70s to 100 or so..

My hbp had been well controlled with an ACE/HCTZ, but it rocketed upward shortly after the steroids and I've had a pounding heart (and insomnia from the pounding heart).

Just visited a cardiologist and now I'm wearing a heart monitor for the next 2 weeks and he changed my meds to a maximum dosage (100mg) of an ARB (Losartan), a Calcium Channel Blocker (Amlodipine 2.5mg) and upped the HCTZ from 12.5mg to 25 mg.

Now I kind of feel like a zombie with such a heavy dosage of the 3 meds. Blood pressure is sometimes normal but shoots up at night before bed...

Can a steroid do this to someone?

Scary stuff.

Would appreciate hearing if anyone knows more about this reaction--or advice?

I've a kidney scan scheduled in two weeks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2023, 10:41 PM

5,722 posts, read 4,312,809 times
Yes its happened to me, although I never tested my BP my heart rate shot up over 100. But it returns to normal when you stop, or should.It did for me. Its not uncommon. I called my pharmacist and she said not to worry unless my heart rate got a lot higher, so I didn't. It only happened the first day when I was taking 40 mg every day for a week. Next day I was fine, just maybe a bit hyper.

Old 08-14-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Yes its happened to me, although I never tested my BP my heart rate shot up over 100. But it returns to normal when you stop, or should.It did for me. Its not uncommon. I called my pharmacist and she said not to worry unless my heart rate got a lot higher, so I didn't. It only happened the first day when I was taking 40 mg every day for a week. Next day I was fine, just maybe a bit hyper.
Thanks! My BP and heart rate was way up since May when I finished the course of steroids.

Doc added more HCTZ and amlodipine to my meds. BP is now normalizing...steroids, apparently, can cause fluid retention, which equals high BP (in some of us). And they can mess with your electrolytes, too. (I've been doing some research on this since it was very concerning to me).

Cannot tell you how nice it is to have normal BP--and to sleep again!!

I was getting "plumb tuckered)...lol

Old 08-14-2023, 09:22 PM

I don't have high BP, which is why I didn't check it. I don't have a way to test it. But I felt like I was going to explode for a few hours, lol. Its not the first time that has happened.

Old 08-17-2023, 05:38 PM

That's interesting, Mrs. PM...seems those steroids are really effective when needed--and can also really impact our health in ways not so delightful.

I know I, like you, will think very, very carefully about taking them again--I've read that every drug has both a positive and a negative--as consumers we have to decide if we wish to throw the dice--most espcially if certain conditions could clear up with time and a change in lifestyle or more gentle means.

Thanks for your comment and observations...

Old 08-18-2023, 02:17 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,215,387 times
Short term I would not be concerned. But my blood pressure can do odd random things and correct itself on its own so I am used to it and my doctor is not concerned. (I've passed the cardiology and kidney tests).

Old 08-20-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

I know I, like you, will think very, very carefully about taking them again-- .

What you should think about before going that far is to consider the dose. What dose were you taking? I can take 20 mg with few or no side effects. Its only when I take 30 or more that I experience it. Your tolerance may be different, but there may be a dose that works for you without the HBP effect.

Also slightly different steroids may not have that effect. I have had a lot of Kenalog/Triamcinolone injections and never had any side effects whatsoever. But the one time I got a methylprednisolone injection I had similar reactions to higher doses of prednisone. I always make sure I get Kenalog now.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:07 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,426,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

Can a steroid do this to someone?
Yes.

And blood viscosity. Thicker blood.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
What you should think about before going that far is to consider the dose. What dose were you taking? I can take 20 mg with few or no side effects. Its only when I take 30 or more that I experience it. Your tolerance may be different, but there may be a dose that works for you without the HBP effect.

Also slightly different steroids may not have that effect. I have had a lot of Kenalog/Triamcinolone injections and never had any side effects whatsoever. But the one time I got a methylprednisolone injection I had similar reactions to higher doses of prednisone. I always make sure I get Kenalog now.
I took a total of eight pills @ 20mg. each.

My size is not very large and am a senior. And tend to be sensitive to many meds...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness