Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 04:44 AM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
For kidney stones, the most effective pain killer I've had is injected Toradol, which is an NSAID. Relief in about 5 minutes after injection. Unfortunately, the doctors in the ER usually require a CT to confirm the kidney stones. These days, I just suck it up and wait for the stones to pass. Opioid do nothing for me for kidney stones.

After my cancer surgery, I woke up in ICU and the nurse had morphine ready. She pushed the plunger and my feeling was "wow" as it hit. At that point I could see why people get addicted.

Sorry you have cancer. Both situations you describe require being in a hospital. Good luck sitting in a ER these days, especially passing a kidney stone. You will get to sit with homeless, psychotics, contagious people & you will probably be labeled as a “drug seeker”, for hours, as that kidney stone cuts it’s way through you or blocks your urethra or ureter, causing sepsis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2023, 05:55 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if you ever passed a kidney stone…or knew someone dying from end-stage small-cell lung cancer…probably not.
Why do Americans need more opioids than other nationalities?

PS People dying of cancer get opioids in just about every country. But they’re not the major source of the Rx problem in this country

Old 08-12-2023, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Sorry you have cancer. Both situations you describe require being in a hospital. Good luck sitting in a ER these days, especially passing a kidney stone. You will get to sit with homeless, psychotics, contagious people & you will probably be labeled as a “drug seeker”, for hours, as that kidney stone cuts it’s way through you or blocks your urethra or ureter, causing sepsis.
For kidney stones, ketamine + IV NSAIDs work the best. Less vomiting than IV opiods and less need of re-administration of the analgesics (opioids stop working the quickest)

Old 08-12-2023, 06:25 AM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
For kidney stones, ketamine + IV NSAIDs work the best. Less vomiting than IV opiods and less need of re-administration of the analgesics (opioids stop working the quickest)
Again…necessitates a hospital visit, good luck with that. Take Percocet at home, pass stone. Done. I also had to pass a stone on a long flight. Try writhing around in your seat & trying to walk around on a plane these days, because if you have passed a stone, you know it is impossible to sit still & be quiet

Old 08-12-2023, 06:36 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
I never had a stone. Rather die than deal with that. My sis took these pills over 20 years and that was all she lived for was the next refill. I took one one time and never got hooked.

Old 08-12-2023, 07:01 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
If you REALLY like something, and you go-to-the-well too often, you very much run the chance
of becoming addicted.

Pot or AYCE-buffet or whatever, if it is enjoyable, you can get addicted to it.

Old 08-12-2023, 12:29 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Got to be the difference in how people process these addictive substances. And genetics.

I was prescribed opioids for my joint replacements. I took one right before work every day and never experienced any pain---did that for almost a year. I felt nothing at all, no high, no constipation, no weirdness, no pain. Then again I've never felt pain after any surgeries anyway.

Coffee I can take it or leave it. We just quit drinking it again; does nothing for either of us. Drinking ginger tea now (from raw)---it's helps DH's digestion.

We like to drink but can take it or leave it too.

We have an mj brownie a couple hours before bed to sleep uninterrupted. I feel zero from it either---no high, no nothing. But I sleep! But when we don't have any, there's no cravings....just erratic sleep.

I've long had the exact same question as the OP, so interesting to hear the discussion.

Old 08-12-2023, 12:32 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Again…necessitates a hospital visit, good luck with that. Take Percocet at home, pass stone. Done. I also had to pass a stone on a long flight. Try writhing around in your seat & trying to walk around on a plane these days, because if you have passed a stone, you know it is impossible to sit still & be quiet
I feel for ya, buddy. I've had 3. Writhing around on the floor indeed! Mine was life or death as sepsis had set in. Mine got blasted apart by laser, but I did have to pass a few pieces and that was excruciating. DH said he had never heard me scream like that. Luckily that was only once.

For the 2-hour drive to the hospital, the urgent care gave me a morphine drip to bear the pain and I will say that was a great feeling.

Old 08-12-2023, 02:42 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I feel for ya, buddy. I've had 3. Writhing around on the floor indeed! Mine was life or death as sepsis had set in. Mine got blasted apart by laser, but I did have to pass a few pieces and that was excruciating. DH said he had never heard me scream like that. Luckily that was only once.

For the 2-hour drive to the hospital, the urgent care gave me a morphine drip to bear the pain and I will say that was a great feeling.
Hate to see how many millions a ER would charge for that.

Old 08-12-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I cannot imagine a more horrible experience. But why were you on the flight in the first place if in such pain ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness