Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 08:34 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
opiates (oxycodone, morphine, fentenyl) makes me nausea to the extreme.
I can not understand how anyone can use the stuff, when I feel extreme seasickness.

I feel queasy if I take any when I don't really need to. They definitely give me a pleasant feeling, if I have pain. After a car accident I took Vicodin for a couple weeks and definitely wanted to keep taking it. But a bout of horrific constipation and the realization that it was changing my behavior for the worse made me stop. I've never had an issue since. I just won't take opiates for more than 3 days, so I never get close to the danger zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 04:52 AM

2,045 posts, read 785,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
I keep hearing/seeing all these commercials like "I took prescription opioids for a week and now I'm addicted".

First, are the commercials just hype? Or are some people really that sensitive to the meds that they really can addicted that easily?

I've taken prescription opioids multiple times after various surgeries and never had any issues (not counting constipation). There's nothing special about me, so are there risk factors that make you mor susceptible to getting addicted?
Some people like getting high and can't control themselves.

Old 08-11-2023, 04:54 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,212,275 times
Its pretty simple--some people have a propensity towards addiction much more than others.

Old 08-11-2023, 07:23 AM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Its pretty simple--some people have a propensity towards addiction much more than others.

That's the question, not the answer.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:27 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
opiates (oxycodone, morphine, fentenyl) makes me nausea to the extreme.
I can not understand how anyone can use the stuff, when I feel extreme seasickness.
I have never had any nausea taking oxycodone. I suspect you are in the minority, otherwise there would not be such an addiction problem.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:35 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think some might be more disposed to addiction than others. Both my husband and I have taken opioids after surgery, but after a couple of days when it really helped with pain management, the opioids made us feel bad. He got wicked constipation, and I just didn’t like the woozy feeling.

Old 08-11-2023, 09:47 AM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
I don't think people get addicted to opiates because they were feeling neutral and liked the gentle peaceful euphoria. They get addicted because there's some searing physical or mental pain and they needed some sort of relief and a little bliss to escape.

There's an element of physical and mental dependency, but that's true with every drug that's used incessantly, look at caffeine for gods sake! I don't think any of them if heavily used allow a user to just drop immediately with no reverberations. The thing about opiates is there's no hangover or no feeling of a need to redose afterwards (unless there's searing pain), in that regard they are a lot better than things like benzos or sleeping pills where people feel an immediate inverse afterwards of anxiety or restlessness.

They could sell oxycodone at dispensaries and the majority of people would either not really use it much or use it like the normal cannabis user, occasionally, like for like the day they go skiing and then not again for 2 weeks, especially since people are aware of the problems of continued use. The problem is the 10% or so who compulsively redose - opiates are more insidious with addiction than perpetual cannabis (which is still most definitely not harmless very heavy use). And 10% is millions of individuals. But look at Gen Z with drinking, the average joe(anna) is increasingly responsible with their own health!

That's the reason cannabis took off is it's the least damaging for people who abuse or are stupid with dosing. Think about how many idiot stories you've heard of people that did a stupid high dosage of cannabis edibles their first time, had a terrible trip, and got scared. That type of irresponsible behavior which is sadly way too common is why other ones can't be sold right out of the storefront, these idiots would be dead.

Old 08-11-2023, 09:51 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I've been on all kinds of opioids for various things over the years, and some long term, where they said I would be addicted, and I wasn't.

On the other hand my GP was on them for a week and said she started getting withdrawal symptoms when she didn't take them.

I guess it's like how some become alcoholics and some don't.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-11-2023, 10:08 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
DHs doctor said you can’t get addicted if you are in genuine pain. You will only get a high in the absence of pain. The problem is that opiate quickly tricks the brain into thinking there is pain, when there isn’t, and then it takes more, and more to kill the craving.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:19 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I suspect that there is some sort of genetic component. I hated them and stopped taking them as soon as I could tolerate the pain. My son also hated them and couldn't wait until he could manage the pain without them.

I didn't find anything about them to be pleasant, so I find it a bit mystifying that some people crave them. They obviously are having a different reaction to them than I am having. I'll never be addicted to them, and they might be in danger.

I also suspect a genetic component to alcoholism. Some people can drink every night and never become alcoholic. Some people are hooked practically on their first drink.

It's not like I am immune to addiction. I adore caffeine. I haven't had any caffeine for over 20 years and I still want it. The craving doesn't go away. But opioids do nothing for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness