Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 03:02 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,919,279 times

Advertisements

I had an afib episode- scary as heck when you don’t know what is going on. I’m one of the minority of people who can easily feel my heat beating so I knew something was amiss. There is website- afibbers.org that helped me tremendously. Lots of good information on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 11:14 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
My wife has had AFIB for 40= years and is on Digoxin. She's had no episodes since using it once daily.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:54 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Smile Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Be careful with the new doc, I read if a patient is diagnosed with syncope the doctor can place him on driving restriction if warranted.
His first appointment is next Thursday the 17th.

I hope to go with him.

Good info, thank you!

He is on his 3rd day of no coffee at all.

His only complaint - he says his legs hurt at night. He took Tylenol. That helped but he never had this until staying in the hospital - 29 hours in the bed.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:56 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

I hope to go with him.

Good info, thank you!

His only complaint - he says his legs hurt at night. He took Tylenol. That helped but he never had this until staying in the hospital - 29 hours in the bed.
Pain in the legs could be a serious condition (PAD) please inform your doc right away about this.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:03 AM

708 posts, read 1,295,224 times
Quote:
He has fainted twice since we were together (1983).

He was young. One time, he got up from a chair, mid afternoon. He was taking our daughter to play golf.
He walked into the living room and hit the sliding door glass. He never remembered why he walked that way.

Anyway, he was taken to the ER and stayed overnight. He was 39. They put him on a tilt table and he would go out each time.

The last time, he had an event was in a group meeting. He went to the restroom and on the way back, he started to fall. Two guys in our group caught him on way down. Same thing. Went to the ER, same thing.

It was just the low blood pressure.

With the first time, he was not drinking coffee yet.

Second time, he was.

He does not drink or smoke. No wine either.
It's most likely POTS. Look it up. Pretty sure this is the correct issue, but many health care professionals aren't familiar with this subject. I have POTS and it's awful.

Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome

Old 08-09-2023, 06:17 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.PM View Post
I think I've had it for over 25 years, although my cardiologist is leaning more towards Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome from the results of my EKGs. Thankfully, my symptoms are well controlled with medication, but stress and illness are big triggers for flare ups with me.
Does your cardiologist have you on an anticoagulant ( bloodthinner)? AFib increases the risk of thromboembolic stroke by something like 5 times the risk for someone without AFib, depending, of course, on other risk factors the patient may have for stroke ( ie, age, medical history). I don't think WPW carries the same risks for stroke, although I've read where anticoagulants may be prescribed for other atrial arrhythmias in older people.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:57 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Smile No pain in legs last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Pain in the legs could be a serious condition (PAD) please inform your doc right away about this.
He will mention the leg pain to the doctor next week. It was only that one night.

No coffee still but last night, we went to a restaurant and he ordered iced tea. I had water.

I'm also trying little by little to change his schedule and get him home earlier. We have separate companies but work at the same location. He likes the quiet time (evenings) to work on the hard stuff. Usually no interruptions for him during that time.

Last night, he actually told me he liked the new schedule and would like to continue. A lot is up to him.

I don't want to jinx it but I have slept fairly soundly for 3 nights now. The weekends are the tough part.
For me, maybe it is no green tea (I really like green tea but since he is doing no coffee, I'm doing it too).
IOW, no Starbucks runs!

Old 08-10-2023, 11:35 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,745,599 times
Quote:

I hope to go with him.

Good info, thank you!

Since I had that dehydration bout, I did some research and found dehydration can be a cause of afib because the heart works harder with lack of water.

I mentioned this to my brother who has afib and told him to ask his doctor if he can drink more water with all the medicine he takes, he's 6ft and weighs about 220 lbs. so dividing his weight in half means he should be drinking eleven, 8 oz. glasses a day to stay hydrated. There is no way he is drinking that much water now.

I noticed besides normalizing my blood pressure and stopping my eyes from tearing, more water as halted my pulsatile tinnitus, it's completely gone away, I almost can't believe it.

I hesitated about worrying you about syncope driving restrictions, so I'm glad you find the info useful. It sounds pretty good he's only fainted twice and he has low blood pressure. Good luck to both of you.

Old 08-10-2023, 11:57 AM

708 posts, read 1,295,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Since I had that dehydration bout, I did some research and found dehydration can be a cause of afib because the heart works harder with lack of water.

I mentioned this to my brother who has afib and told him to ask his doctor if he can drink more water with all the medicine he takes, he's 6ft and weighs about 220 lbs. so dividing his weight in half means he should be drinking eleven, 8 oz. glasses a day to stay hydrated. There is no way he is drinking that much water now.

I noticed besides normalizing my blood pressure and stopping my eyes from tearing, more water as halted my pulsatile tinnitus, it's completely gone away, I almost can't believe it.

I hesitated about worrying you about syncope driving restrictions, so I'm glad you find the info useful. It sounds pretty good he's only fainted twice and he has low blood pressure. Good luck to both of you.
I was told at the Johns Hopkins POTS clinic to drink 4 liters of water each day, so that's a lot, but it really helps with my constant dizziness. Less water, more dizziness

Old 08-10-2023, 12:21 PM

36,413 posts, read 16,022,206 times
My Dad, 94, has had 2 ablations, one on the front side of heart, one on the back, several years apart as they found a better way to do the back side. He knew exactly when he was in afib, low BP and High HR. So he couldn't do anything in afib, so much fatigue. He got a pacemaker so it won't go below 60 bpm. Then he got 4 stents, 2 weeks ago, a feeling around jaw and neck, had a heart Cath, 1 stent was 100% blocked and 1 60 % blocked. The totally blocked one found auxiliary arteries to have the blood flow threw and they did nothing else and nothing for the 60% blocked one, some new med to relax arteries. He stopped that after 6 days, he said he felt better when he went in. He's very stubborn.

He takes Eliquis, Sotolol, dropped Metoprolol, not sure after which procedure.

As of today he is just fatigued, can work 1 to 1/2 hours in the morning, then feels terrible, then feels ok in the afternoon. Hasn't done much outside, just working on knives.

I think, because of his age they didn't do anything. This all happened in the last 8 yrs or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness