Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 05:27 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times

Advertisements

I remember that term now - syncope!

That is correct. It is/was very scary.

Just got to keep him healthy.

Have you know anyone to get the ablation? Success? According to this doctor, it's the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 05:38 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,750,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

Have you know anyone to get the ablation? Success? According to this doctor, it's the way to go.
Yes, my father did, he said the procedure wasn't that bad, but I'm sorry I can't tell you if it was successful or not to lower his heart rate, he passed a short time later from cancer, that's why I didn't mention it before.

My mother had afib and was on warafin, metropolol, linsinopril, etc, and she lived to 92. Ablation wasn't suggested for my mom or my brother either, I'm going to ask my brother if the doctor asked him if he wanted an ablation.

Old 08-06-2023, 06:12 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,503,134 times
Quote:

abalation vs antiarrhythmic drug therapy preformed about the same in randomized clinical trials (CABANA). There was a reduction in the abalation group (8% vs 9%) from the most severe outcomes (death, stroke, cardiac arrest) but it was not statistically significant.

TBH, we really don't know that much about what causes afib, and 8 differential diagnoses of types of orthostatic hypotension. We do know that hypertension is a risk factor for developing afib (but your husband is hypotensive). Also people with OH at baseline are more likely to develop afib later. However, afib also causes changes in blood pressure, especially the pulse pressure.

There is too many things we don't understand.

What I would do is monitor your husband. Does he sleep on his back, his left side? Does he frequently get up to use the toilet at night? Any changes in these rhythms, and report to your doc. His snoring? More information the better, his doc should be drilling you both with questions.

Old 08-06-2023, 08:48 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,208,401 times
I know someone with afib meds only no proceedures have been suggested. He told me something like it is okay to be in afib or out of afib - what is NOT okay is to frequently bounce back and forth.

Old 08-06-2023, 09:39 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times
Smile Some answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
abalation vs antiarrhythmic drug therapy preformed about the same in randomized clinical trials (CABANA). There was a reduction in the abalation group (8% vs 9%) from the most severe outcomes (death, stroke, cardiac arrest) but it was not statistically significant.

TBH, we really don't know that much about what causes afib, and 8 differential diagnoses of types of orthostatic hypotension. We do know that hypertension is a risk factor for developing afib (but your husband is hypotensive). Also people with OH at baseline are more likely to develop afib later. However, afib also causes changes in blood pressure, especially the pulse pressure.

There is too many things we don't understand.

What I would do is monitor your husband. Does he sleep on his back, his left side? Does he frequently get up to use the toilet at night? Any changes in these rhythms, and report to your doc. His snoring? More information the better, his doc should be drilling you both with questions.
I'm hoping this new doctor will be doing that - asking questions.

He is a side sleeper. He cannot sleep on his back. He gets 1 or 2 times per night. Sometimes, it's to have a snack.

I'm thinking the "no caffeine" may help him sleep better but I don't know. He is willing to try this; I know he wants to do whatever he can do.

He developed a sleeping pattern 42 years ago where he slept for 2 hours at a time and he still often does that. I sleep more soundly than he does.

His heart went eractic July 2020 and nothing has happened until the other morning. July 2020 was really a stressful month; it was during COVID; employee had just come down with it so major work for him. He got up that one night and instead of eating something healthy, he ate a bowl of Dulce Leche ice cream at 4 AM.

This was unusual behavior for him; 3 hours later, he woke up saying his heart was out of balance.
It was addressed right away. We got him to a doctor within 30 minutes.

Thanks for all the helpful info. I have questions for him to ask.

Old 08-07-2023, 12:25 AM

Quote:
I'm hoping this new doctor will be doing that - asking questions.

He is a side sleeper. He cannot sleep on his back. He gets 1 or 2 times per night. Sometimes, it's to have a snack.

I'm thinking the "no caffeine" may help him sleep better but I don't know. He is willing to try this; I know he wants to do whatever he can do.

He developed a sleeping pattern 42 years ago where he slept for 2 hours at a time and he still often does that. I sleep more soundly than he does.

His heart went eractic July 2020 and nothing has happened until the other morning. July 2020 was really a stressful month; it was during COVID; employee had just come down with it so major work for him. He got up that one night and instead of eating something healthy, he ate a bowl of Dulce Leche ice cream at 4 AM.

This was unusual behavior for him; 3 hours later, he woke up saying his heart was out of balance.
It was addressed right away. We got him to a doctor within 30 minutes.

Thanks for all the helpful info. I have questions for him to ask.
Sleeping on his left side is believed to be tough on the heart.

Another suggestion, have him go get diagnosed with sleep apnea. 2 hours at a time is not normal. His body is under terrible stress.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Sleeping on his left side is believed to be tough on the heart.

Another suggestion, have him go get diagnosed with sleep apnea. 2 hours at a time is not normal. His body is under terrible stress.
I thought the same about left side sleeping, but now I read left side sleeping is better for blood circulation! Eating three hours before bedtime can cause sleep apnea, so it sounds like he shouldn't be snacking at night.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I thought the same about left side sleeping, but now I read left side sleeping is better for blood circulation! Eating three hours before bedtime can cause sleep apnea, so it sounds like he shouldn't be snacking at night.
Sleep on your right side to protect your heart

Data has shown that when people lie on their left side during sleep, the position of their heart shifts due to the pull of gravity. That causes changes in the heart’s electrical activity that show up on electrocardiograms (ECG). When they’re sleeping on the right side, however, tissues and structures between the lungs hold the heart in place and ECGs remain normal.

Sleeping on the left side isn’t a problem if you don’t have underlying heart issues. But for people with congestive heart failure and other heart issues, it can cause discomfort and even breathing difficulties. If that sounds familiar, try turning to your right when you hit the sheets.

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-...-position.html

Old 08-07-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Be careful with the new doc, I read if a patient is diagnosed with syncope the doctor can place him on driving restriction if warranted.

Old 08-07-2023, 01:36 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
My wife diagnosed me with AFIB. I scheduled an appointment with a cardiologist who is certified in clinical cardiac electrophysiology. My brother-in-law saw this doctor for AFIB and he did an ablation on him after he went back into AFIB. I was admitted to the hospital on a Friday and they gave me Dofetilide over the weekend. When that didn't take me out of AFIB, they did a cardioversion on Monday.

I take Dofetilide and Eliquis twice a day. I had a couple of episodes a few months ago where I ended up in the ER twice in one week. I was admitted the second time. The first episode I had extremely low blood pressure. A few days later I had extremely high blood pressure that started when I was lifting weights. They said I was in atrial flutter, but could not figure out what had occurred after an echocardiogram and stress test. Everything went back to normal after I was discharged.

I saw the electrophysiologist after the hospital stay and he is still not recommending an ablation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness