Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 11:56 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

I'm 78.
Looks like I've got it made. Except, probably the author(s) and I disagree on what a healthy diet is. I avoid most carbs and sure as HELL don't eat salads doused with machinery oil. All other items checked.

When I was born in 1945, I was expected to live to 64.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 05:01 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
1. Over 250 minutes of Cardio every week.
2. Keep your body fat to below 20% for guys and below 30% for girls.
3. Do some resistance training and flexibility.
4. Eat a well balanced diet, where around 30% of the calories come from protein.
5. Avoid drugs as much as possible, keep alcohol to a minimum, social occasions.
6. Go to sleep before midnight and wake up with the sunrise.
7. If you have stress, doubt, anxiety learn to meditate.
8. Go outdoors whenever possible, see the sun. It's good for you.

Old 07-29-2023, 11:19 PM

472 posts, read 325,152 times
Add 24 more years? What if one doesn't want to live to be 95 or even 85? Death is part of the life cycle. Learn to accept it.

Old 07-30-2023, 12:13 AM

297 posts, read 244,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm 78.
Looks like I've got it made. Except, probably the author(s) and I disagree on what a healthy diet is. I avoid most carbs and sure as HELL don't eat salads doused with machinery oil. All other items checked.

When I was born in 1945, I was expected to live to 64.
don't have the link handy but recently read a very credible sounding article that says that most diseases come early from all the seed oils we consume mostly in processed foods. Avoid all oils including restricting olive oil. Make sure any omega 6 and others is suppemented with omega 3 fatty acids.

Old 07-30-2023, 12:15 AM

Default excessive sun can be bad,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
1. Over 250 minutes of Cardio every week.
2. Keep your body fat to below 20% for guys and below 30% for girls.
3. Do some resistance training and flexibility.
4. Eat a well balanced diet, where around 30% of the calories come from protein.
5. Avoid drugs as much as possible, keep alcohol to a minimum, social occasions.
6. Go to sleep before midnight and wake up with the sunrise.
7. If you have stress, doubt, anxiety learn to meditate.
8. Go outdoors whenever possible, see the sun. It's good for you.
especially with any genetic predisp. to skin cancer. 15-30 min a day is plenty. supplement with daily vit d. The body has other vit d processors besides those in the skin. Any one with metabolic problems-diabetes, insulin resitance needs to have daily resistance exercise. Be careful with weight then can destroy you joints.

Old 07-30-2023, 12:18 AM

Default Best advice ever given:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
"Don't worry about old age, it doesn't last "
"don't get old"

Old 07-30-2023, 06:11 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBoat View Post
Add 24 more years? What if one doesn't want to live to be 95 or even 85? Death is part of the life cycle. Learn to accept it.
Of course it is. I just want to stay as healthy and strong as I can until I get there.

Old 07-30-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveareeno5 View Post
especially with any genetic predisp. to skin cancer. 15-30 min a day is plenty. supplement with daily vit d. The body has other vit d processors besides those in the skin. Any one with metabolic problems-diabetes, insulin resitance needs to have daily resistance exercise. Be careful with weight then can destroy you joints.
I urge common sense approach to the sun. 15-30 minutes per day doesn't sound very much like common sense, for a species who has evolved to be outside. Instead, if you're really fair skinned, and live in a latitude below 35N, I would take steps to avoid the sun during peak strength, but still get plenty of sun exposure during the morning and evening. Like everything in life, it's about tradeoffs. The sun has numerous benefits for our overall health, we need to balance those with the risk of skin cancer.

Not to mention, the link between sun exposure and the deadly form of skin cancer known as cutaneous malignant melanoma (CMM) is not clear, even though to the layman public it's often presented as such. I urge everyone interested to read this piece: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...018.00235/full which summarizes what we know and don't know about sun exposure and CMM.

Old 07-30-2023, 10:35 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
The eight identified habits are:

being physically active
not smoking
managing stress
maintaining a good diet
not regularly drinking alcohol excessively
maintaining good sleep hygiene
maintaining positive social relationships
not developing an opioid addiction
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...ish-causality-

This list is pointless if it doesn't specify details
- What defines physically active?
- Not smoking is obvious
- How does one manage stress?
- What defines a good diet?
- What is not regularly drinking alcohol excessively?
- What defines good sleep?
- Positive social relationship? LOL
- Opioid addition can be classified into not abusing illegal drugs

But yes, this is a common sense list of don't get fat, don't do drugs, go to the gym, and sleep.

Old 07-30-2023, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
- Positive social relationship? LOL
Positive social relationships (belonging to a social group and having a social support network) is positively correlated with longevity: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...21.717164/full
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness