Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 06:33 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,989 times

Advertisements

Buy, if you can find it, Louis Widmer. I buy it in Europe. A small amount does the trick. Maybe Walmart or Amazon have it. It really works, use just a little.
https://www.louis-widmer.com/product...f-shampoo.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 07:07 AM

23,873 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
As a hairdresser/esthetician, I'd also suggest you see a dermatologist, mainly as you've said you've had it for years & nothing you've used has worked. It's got to be uncomfortable for you & very likely is something you don't need to live with once it's addressed.

No one can diagnose online, especially sans pics & it could be a yeast infection or Rosacea or psoriasis or excema which is what causes the dandruff, so trying to treat just the dandruff isn't effective. I know someone who always had scalp skin flake issues, which worsened as he aged & lost his hair on the entire top of his head. Sunshine seemed to make it worse. He also treated it with Head & Shoulders, then Selsun Blue for decades, even though neither worked & he had very noticeable dandruff as his hair was black. Someone gave him very bad advice that it might be as he was washing/combing his hair too often & irritating his scalp, so he'd wash/brush it once wk & I can't tell you how unpleasant that looked... oily, disheveled black hair covered in flakes.

His dermo gave him a pill for a couple of months (turns out he had some sort of follicle infection) & he then put him on a long trial & error period of using different medicinal creams to tackle itching & reddness. He was then diagnosed with Rosacea... it's more common on the face, but he only ever gets it on his scalp. No matter what shampoo or conditioner he used, it would never have addressed the infection or Rosacea, so that's why I'd advise that you let a professional look at it.

It could be a simple diagnosis that would only take a few wks of a med or cream to fix.

By the way, my friend still has flare ups now & again & returns to using his cream for a week & is fine for a few months. The main thing is he doesn't have skin flakes any longer. He didn't really have dry skin dandruff, he had an infection & Rosacea which was causing his "dandruff".

Good luck. I'm sure a dermo will fix you right up. Please let us know how it works out for you.

I also was a hairdresser back in the 80's. I can't imagine how many different things could cause a scalp rash these days, especially since medicine has come a long way since Head and Shoulders first appeared in commercials on our TV's.

I agree that going to a dermatologist would be what I recommended too so they could get a biopsy or some flakes to test.

There are so many new medications that people do not need to suffer in silence any more.

Old 06-28-2023, 08:34 PM

6,105 posts, read 2,730,079 times
I ended up being prescribed shampoo ketoconazole which is generic Nizoral. And a medicated liquid to put on every night.

The Dermatologist said it's just my scalp is very dry it can't be cured theirs no specific condition causing it but it can be controlled with the prescriptions given. He didn't suspect I had psoriasis.

Old 06-29-2023, 05:21 AM

3,697 posts, read 2,416,968 times
I've used Nizoral and H&S.

Both helped quite a bit, and I still use them but but

My favorite is Selsun.

Rarely wash my ghair with shampoo at all. I use these anti-dandruuff ones once every 10 dags or so.

Old 06-29-2023, 11:56 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
I ended up being prescribed shampoo ketoconazole which is generic Nizoral. And a medicated liquid to put on every night.

The Dermatologist said it's just my scalp is very dry it can't be cured theirs no specific condition causing it but it can be controlled with the prescriptions given. He didn't suspect I had psoriasis.

Thank you for seeing a dermatologist.

The prescription is double strength ketoconazole, as opposed to generic. You have to leave it on when showering for about four minutes for it to work. Dry scalp can benefit from applying oils, such as beard oil or even vegetable oils. Oils in hair have been used since ancient times.

Try what was recommended for a couple months. If it doesn't work, send me a PM. I have incredibly thick hair and similar issues, where the ketoconazole is only mildly effective, and we may be able to compare notes.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:15 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,008,537 times
Quote:

TY for the update. I do hope you are getting relief. Best of luck!

Old 07-06-2023, 10:49 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,156,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
See a dermatologist. You may have psoriasis, which has other implications.

Nizerol has a stronger prescription counterpart, if you have certain conditions.

FWIW, my brother has a strange "cure" that worked for him. He shaved his head and then purposely got strong sun exposure. It apparently killed off an underlying fungal issue, that did not recur when he grew his hair back.

This, and tea tree oil works on some people. It's worth a shot.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:23 AM

3 posts, read 1,356 times
Quote:
I've suffered from Dandruff for years my head gets very oily and dry from being out in the heat or even during the winter.

I've used head and shoulders for years without much success it's just my routine shampoo I tried switching to Selsum blue it didn't help much either except give me an unpleasant sulfur-type smell.

I'm back to using Head and shoulders but the almond one which helps moisturize it helps some but I still have the flakes.

I'm contemplating going to the Dermootagolist if I can't get any over-the-counter stuff that works.
One thing I realized is that sometimes the ingredients in these shampoos, while meant to combat dandruff, can be too harsh and end up stripping the scalp of natural oils, exacerbating the issue. In my experience, switching to a shampoo with natural ingredients made a difference. I tried the Briogeo Scalp Revivial shampoo, both known for its soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. They helped in reducing the itchiness and flakiness to some extent.

However, the real game-changer for me was when I started to focus on my overall scalp health. This included not just the shampoo I used but also my diet, stress levels, and how often I washed my hair.

Overwashing can strip the scalp of its natural oils, leading to more dryness and flakiness. I also found that incorporating a scalp treatment or oil, like coconut or argan oil, once a week helped moisturize my scalp more deeply than a regular shampoo could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness