Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 10:07 AM

6,098 posts, read 2,719,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
For years I have been using Head & Shoulders for men daily and have had good results from it. Sounds like OP needs to see a dermatologist.
Yes, that is probably the route I'll go since over-the-counter stuff I'm using is worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 11:37 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Sounds like OP needs to see a dermatologist.
Especially since he's got another thread going about his extremely chapped lips--it sounds like something more systemic is going on that isn't going to be fixed with drugstore shampoo and proper hydration.

Old 06-08-2023, 12:25 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
Try the shampoos without the "sulfate" as in sodium lauryl sulfate, which is pretty harsh. Pantene has different "sulfate free" formulations.
ysmv

Old 06-08-2023, 12:32 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Just in case it might relate to someone…..my husband was plagued by a pink splotchy rash on his upper chest for years. Various doctors prescribed different meds and anti fungals. The rash would go away, but then come back.

At his annual dermatologist check he happened to have the rash and she took one look at it and said it was the same thing that causes dandruff, even though he didn’t have dandruff on his head. She prescribed a lotion he put on his head a couple of times a week and hasn’t had the rash since. Weird, huh?

Old 06-08-2023, 01:03 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,541,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Definitely Neutrogena Extra Strength T/Gel Shampoo. It's amazing stuff!

https://www.neutrogena.ca/hair/treat...extra-strength
this is what my dermatologist said to use. excellent shampoo.

Old 06-08-2023, 02:37 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times
As a hairdresser/esthetician, I'd also suggest you see a dermatologist, mainly as you've said you've had it for years & nothing you've used has worked. It's got to be uncomfortable for you & very likely is something you don't need to live with once it's addressed.

No one can diagnose online, especially sans pics & it could be a yeast infection or Rosacea or psoriasis or excema which is what causes the dandruff, so trying to treat just the dandruff isn't effective. I know someone who always had scalp skin flake issues, which worsened as he aged & lost his hair on the entire top of his head. Sunshine seemed to make it worse. He also treated it with Head & Shoulders, then Selsun Blue for decades, even though neither worked & he had very noticeable dandruff as his hair was black. Someone gave him very bad advice that it might be as he was washing/combing his hair too often & irritating his scalp, so he'd wash/brush it once wk & I can't tell you how unpleasant that looked... oily, disheveled black hair covered in flakes.

His dermo gave him a pill for a couple of months (turns out he had some sort of follicle infection) & he then put him on a long trial & error period of using different medicinal creams to tackle itching & reddness. He was then diagnosed with Rosacea... it's more common on the face, but he only ever gets it on his scalp. No matter what shampoo or conditioner he used, it would never have addressed the infection or Rosacea, so that's why I'd advise that you let a professional look at it.

It could be a simple diagnosis that would only take a few wks of a med or cream to fix.

By the way, my friend still has flare ups now & again & returns to using his cream for a week & is fine for a few months. The main thing is he doesn't have skin flakes any longer. He didn't really have dry skin dandruff, he had an infection & Rosacea which was causing his "dandruff".

Good luck. I'm sure a dermo will fix you right up. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Old 06-09-2023, 10:59 AM

6,098 posts, read 2,719,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
As a hairdresser/esthetician, I'd also suggest you see a dermatologist, mainly as you've said you've had it for years & nothing you've used has worked. It's got to be uncomfortable for you & very likely is something you don't need to live with once it's addressed.

No one can diagnose online, especially sans pics & it could be a yeast infection or Rosacea or psoriasis or excema which is what causes the dandruff, so trying to treat just the dandruff isn't effective. I know someone who always had scalp skin flake issues, which worsened as he aged & lost his hair on the entire top of his head. Sunshine seemed to make it worse. He also treated it with Head & Shoulders, then Selsun Blue for decades, even though neither worked & he had very noticeable dandruff as his hair was black. Someone gave him very bad advice that it might be as he was washing/combing his hair too often & irritating his scalp, so he'd wash/brush it once wk & I can't tell you how unpleasant that looked... oily, disheveled black hair covered in flakes.

His dermo gave him a pill for a couple of months (turns out he had some sort of follicle infection) & he then put him on a long trial & error period of using different medicinal creams to tackle itching & reddness. He was then diagnosed with Rosacea... it's more common on the face, but he only ever gets it on his scalp. No matter what shampoo or conditioner he used, it would never have addressed the infection or Rosacea, so that's why I'd advise that you let a professional look at it.

It could be a simple diagnosis that would only take a few wks of a med or cream to fix.

By the way, my friend still has flare ups now & again & returns to using his cream for a week & is fine for a few months. The main thing is he doesn't have skin flakes any longer. He didn't really have dry skin dandruff, he had an infection & Rosacea which was causing his "dandruff".

Good luck. I'm sure a dermo will fix you right up. Please let us know how it works out for you.
Thanks for the input. I will see a Dermotlogist.

Old 06-09-2023, 11:39 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Thanks for the input. I will see a Dermotlogist.
That's great. Sorry you dealt with this for so long, but let us know in a couple of months when you're all better, what worked for you.

Something else I thought of was that many are allergic to chemicals in OTC shampoos & conditioners & even soaps. A dermo will better be able to find the exact culprit... there are so many ingredients in most toiletries, we may never find it on our own.

I've never had dandruff but boy oh boy do I itch/burn like I ran into a cactus if I use certain body soaps or shampoos. Even body/face moisturizers can make my skin burn & itch.

The worse ones for me are products from beauty supply stores or health food stores... you'd think it would be the opposite since they all claim to be natural or organic. For me it's an exaustive list of products that cause skin irritation including laundry detergents, certain fabrics like wool or nylon... but trial & error helped me find a handful of products I can use without side effects. Actually, I make most of my own moisturizers, dishwashing liquid, laundry soap, etc... I'm like an old prairie woman. And, the shampoos that work best for me are in cream formula that don't suds up. Sadly, they're very pricey, as well.

And, likely not an issue for you but when I was working with hair, it wasn't uncommon for someone to tell me their young daughter had a very badly red & irritated scalp... it looked red & angry, skin was peeling & burning. It was always a girl now old enough to take her own showers without the assistance of an adult & she wasn't rinsing her hair of all the shampoo. Easy to fix by rinsing the hair with tea (tannic acid cuts through soap) & application of a bit of a therapeutic essential oil a time or 2.

My point is, that's why dermotologists are so good, cuz they might be able to quickly narrow down 1 simple ingredient in most shampoos that's causing your issue. Just like with my friend, one visit & he quickly identified the 2 issues he had... it did take a couple of visits to get the proper products & meds to use, but within a few months, he wasn't uncomfortable any longer & occasional flare-ups are manageable.

Good luck.

Old 06-09-2023, 11:45 AM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
The underlying issue has to be determined. I like natural remedies so would make a special shampoo - would purchase an organic Tea Tree Oil shampoo then would add essential oils: Rosemary, Tea Tree, Lavender & others (10 to 20 drops to the shampoo bottle - shake it up). The rubber scalp massagers feel great - cheap on amazon. Wash hair daily.

I would also make sure I was taking a multivitamin, Vitamin D3 and B12. And I do think a little sun exposure is good.

Old 06-09-2023, 04:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
See a dermatologist. You may have psoriasis, which has other implications.

Nizerol has a stronger prescription counterpart, if you have certain conditions.

FWIW, my brother has a strange "cure" that worked for him. He shaved his head and then purposely got strong sun exposure. It apparently killed off an underlying fungal issue, that did not recur when he grew his hair back.
Regular Nizoral works for me while none of the other shampoos do anything. I've considered asking a dermatologist for the 2% prescription version, but the regular version works if I use it 3-4 times a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness