Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 40,544 times

Advertisements

I have been diagnosed as having a lipoma along my jaw line. Looks/feels to be about the size of a small jelly-bean. The plastic surgeon said he could remove it but may cause nerve damage resultin in a crooked smile. One post mentioned "it takes a while for the nerves to reconnect". Can anyone provide information on the nerve damage and can it be permanent. I'm now on wait and watch, if it grows will remove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
fergie, I think all nerve damage can be permanent but it's true that, in most cases, it does take a while for the nerves to reconnect. I didnt have a lipoma removed but, five years ago, I had a carotid endarterectomy to remove plaque buildup in the carotid artery after a stroke. It took months to re-gain feeling on that side of my neck and jaw. And eight months ago I had extensive foot surgery; those nerves have still not come back yet, although I think I'm starting to feel a small sensation. Good Luck!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 40,544 times
TEX,
Thanks for the response, I may have to have it removed it appears to be getting larger. I've heard of using lipo and injecting steroids for removal but with limited success.
Anyone aware of these methods?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie54 View Post
TEX,
Thanks for the response, I may have to have it removed it appears to be getting larger. I've heard of using lipo and injecting steroids for removal but with limited success.
Anyone aware of these methods?
If it's getting larger you should see a doctor asap in case it's not a lipoma

Old 10-07-2011, 10:22 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
Well I'm back again. Another lump (Lipoma) starting to grow on my neck again. Has been growing slowly the last 6+ months and the size of a small pea and sensitive when I try to feel underneath for it's size etc. Will not bother the VA untill it starts to hurt a little with pressure on a nerve. Last time the Dr had me wait until there was some pain.

Inittially one on each side of the neck and now #2 on my right side...they just won't leave me alone. Oh well another 3-4 yrs and my time here will be over.

Steve

Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 AM

1 posts, read 19,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanKnot View Post
Has anyone had a large lipoma removed from hip to knee in thigh? I'm 71, and the surgeon said this would be a very complex surgery, with possible complications due to the dead space left by the 2 pound tumor. It's not causing trouble (yet) but how fast can these lipomas grow? And some I know can have dangerous cell changes. I've been told cancer doesn't usually metastasize in these types of growths.Hard to know what to decide. Recovery would take four months (if I recovered). Some of the lipoma is in the retroperitoneum. Anyone know where exactly that is?
I am 3 weeks post-op from having a lipoma removed from my groin that extended into the thigh muscle. The surgeon was an orthopedic oncologist. He had to remove part of my thigh muscle in order to get it all out. No cancer was present. I have a six inch scar. The lipoma was about 5 inches long and 3 inches wide. I was having problems lifting my leg when standing, but just this week it's already better. The leg is weak when full weight-bearing,but it's getting better.I had a lot of skin-crawling,pin- pricking,and and the feeling of a fire starting in the thigh at first. I am 54 yrs old. I have a recumbent bike that I am starting to ride 1/2 mile to begin twice daily and I am walking my dog. I have 1 more month before I return to work. I will probably go back part-time because I stand all day. This doctor specialized in tumors of the muscle and bone. I would not recommend a plastic surgeon to do this procedure.The surgery took an hour and a half and I spent the night in the hospital. Good luck. I hope this infromation helped you.

Last edited by late bloomer; 10-10-2011 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: added more info.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:51 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Has anyone ever had one in their armpit?
I was showering today and found a lump, not towards my breast, towards my elbow but under my arm
I had a mammo about 2 weeks ago, while I felt like she bruised me, it never got black & blue, today I have a lump, almost feels like it's in a vein.
My 1st lump at the base of my neck was getting bigger so I had it removed it tested out to be melonima stage 4.I went on interferon chemo for a month and stopped treatment due to weakness from the medication,soon after they detected a small lump under my armpit on the opposite side (left side)they removed 14 surrounding nodes thinking they had a good margin and I went back on the same chemo for 9 months was very weak from the chemo and got an infection in my throat was in the hospital for 11 days and I didn't go back on chemo but am still walking around after 9 years at the age of 73.
My advise is don't wait to get anything checked out and get more than one opinion.They never found the primary source of the melonima on my skin which happens in 25 & of cases,I know i got sunburn a few times in my early years as we didn't know any better,getting a tan was the in thing.I still see a Derm Doctor once a year.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:23 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
My 1st lump at the base of my neck was getting bigger so I had it removed it tested out to be melonima stage 4.I went on interferon chemo for a month and stopped treatment due to weakness from the medication,soon after they detected a small lump under my armpit on the opposite side (left side)they removed 14 surrounding nodes thinking they had a good margin and I went back on the same chemo for 9 months was very weak from the chemo and got an infection in my throat was in the hospital for 11 days and I didn't go back on chemo but am still walking around after 9 years at the age of 73.
My advise is don't wait to get anything checked out and get more than one opinion.They never found the primary source of the melonima on my skin which happens in 25 & of cases,I know i got sunburn a few times in my early years as we didn't know any better,getting a tan was the in thing.I still see a Derm Doctor once a year.
Ditto.

Lipomas can enlarge however.

But the only way to truly know what is it is to have it removed and sent to pathology.

Good luck.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 19,805 times
Hello, I know these posts are old but i'm hoping someone could help.
I have a large lipoma on my upper arm, shoulder, about the size of a tennis ball cut in half. It aches frequently, also at night, and lately I've notice when i press on the outside of my upper arm (humerus bone) it's very tender. Unfortunately my symptoms match a lot of bone cancer symptoms and I'm completely panicking due to all the info I'm reading online. Could it be just pressure on the radial nerve that's causing my symptoms but why the painful area in the middle of the bone that really only hurts when i apply pressure? I have a child and am feeling quite fatalistic, death phobic... My Dr. says "you don't have cancer" but he spent all of 5 minutes with me. I have not insurance. I can't spend a lot of money on exploration..... Help!!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:12 AM

37,101 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunskystars View Post
Hello, I know these posts are old but i'm hoping someone could help.
I have a large lipoma on my upper arm, shoulder, about the size of a tennis ball cut in half. It aches frequently, also at night, and lately I've notice when i press on the outside of my upper arm (humerus bone) it's very tender. Unfortunately my symptoms match a lot of bone cancer symptoms and I'm completely panicking due to all the info I'm reading online. Could it be just pressure on the radial nerve that's causing my symptoms but why the painful area in the middle of the bone that really only hurts when i apply pressure? I have a child and am feeling quite fatalistic, death phobic... My Dr. says "you don't have cancer" but he spent all of 5 minutes with me. I have not insurance. I can't spend a lot of money on exploration..... Help!!
Lipomas are pretty easy to identify just by the way they look and feel and they seldom are cancerous.

Yours is, however, causing symptoms. Removal appears to be indicated.

I would check with a surgeon and see if something could be worked out to allow you to pay a reduced fee and stretch the payments over a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness