Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 03:52 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
"Most"? How do you know?
If they are still pushing colonoscopies on everyone simply because of age, then they are not aware of this research, which is the ONLY research on whether colonoscopies have benefit.

It was assumed they have great benefit, although there was no scientific evidence. Now there is research showing hardly any benefit.

Get non-invasive tests if you are worried about colon cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 04:46 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Yes it does show what I think it does. NO effect on all cause mortality. But you have no understanding of what that means.
In the group of people who actually had colonoscopy the mortality from colon cancer was reduced by about half.

In this study from Korea, all cause mortality was less in the colonoscopy group.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10101790/

"Colonoscopic screening was associated with a lower risk of all-cause mortality in both young and older individuals. Multivariable-adjusted time-dependent hazard ratios (95% confidence intervals) for all-cause mortality comparing ever-to never-screening were 0.86 (0.75–0.99) for young individuals and 0.71 (0.65–0.78) for older individuals."

Old 04-18-2023, 04:47 PM

Quote:
If they are still pushing colonoscopies on everyone simply because of age, then they are not aware of this research, which is the ONLY research on whether colonoscopies have benefit.

It was assumed they have great benefit, although there was no scientific evidence. Now there is research showing hardly any benefit.

Get non-invasive tests if you are worried about colon cancer.
It is not the only research on the benefit of colonoscopy.

What happens if your "noninvasive" test is positive?

Old 04-18-2023, 08:15 PM

5,981 posts, read 3,724,157 times
Quote:

Good point! I've had several colonoscopies and had polyps removed nearly every time. Last year, I was debating whether to have another colonoscopy, so I had the noninvasive test done at home and sent it off. Guess what. Yep, it came back positive which resulted in my getting yet another colonoscopy. One small polyp was removed.

Clearly, the non-invasive test is not the answer/solution to avoiding colonoscopies. In fact, they're likely to INCREASE the chances of a person getting a colonoscopy because they often come back with an "inconclusive" result and you can guess where that leads. Yep, yet another colonoscopy to find out conclusively whether you need it or not.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Good point! I've had several colonoscopies and had polyps removed nearly every time. Last year, I was debating whether to have another colonoscopy, so I had the noninvasive test done at home and sent it off. Guess what. Yep, it came back positive which resulted in my getting yet another colonoscopy. One small polyp was removed.

Clearly, the non-invasive test is not the answer/solution to avoiding colonoscopies. In fact, they're likely to INCREASE the chances of a person getting a colonoscopy because they often come back with an "inconclusive" result and you can guess where that leads. Yep, yet another colonoscopy to find out conclusively whether you need it or not.
Most of the time, for most people, the non-invasive test will be negative. If it is positive you can go on and get a colonoscopy. Not so difficult to understand this.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:23 PM

Quote:

What happens?? Then you can get a colonoscopy. I said don't get the invasive test first. There is no reason to.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Yes it is. They were recommending colonoscopy for years before there was any research on their effectiveness.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Yes it is. They were recommending colonoscopy for years before there was any research on their effectiveness.
Not true.

There has been a large body of research on screening colonoscopy.

From 2002, with 92 references.

Old 04-19-2023, 03:43 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
What happens?? Then you can get a colonoscopy. I said don't get the invasive test first. There is no reason to.
The FOBT have rates of false negatives and false positives making them pretty close to useless. Logic says to just get the routine colonoscopy on a regular schedule-- If you find poylps (50% of cases), they can be removed. If the polyps prove to be benign, the procedure served a preventative function. If they were cancerous, it's curative, avoiding the possibility of incurable mets or obstruction requiring major surgery, possibly "ostomy bags" later on.

Pretty dumb not to get the colonoscopy just because you're afraid of a few hours of diarrhea from the prep.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Not true.

There has been a large body of research on screening colonoscopy.

From 2002, with 92 references.
And yet you can't post a single link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness