Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 10:42 PM

17,548 posts, read 13,329,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I just went to the eye doc and they say they can see the start of caddy's but i should be years away i guess before i gotta deal with them.
Same thing happened to me. When he said I was ready, I booked the surgery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 12:23 PM

50,769 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Same thing happened to me. When he said I was ready, I booked the surgery
Me, three.

Old 09-21-2023, 12:46 PM

7,071 posts, read 4,514,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
I forgot about this thread. But then, I couldn't read the phone or computer for a few months.
Right eye cataract surgery in April. First 12 days could see for miles. Day 13 had to get sis to drive me to Dr.
Couldn't see anything. Swelling behind eye.
May, surgery in left eye. Still couldn't see that great out of right eye. Pressure behind left eye. Couldn't see out
it either. Went once a week for appts for 9wks. Used 3 diff drops 3-4x daily for 13wks.
So over it. Had to use 4" magnifying glass up against my eye to see to text on phone. Used it to see what I was cooking/eating. TV 5ft in front of me to see it. Still wear glasses 24/7 and use magnifying glass at times to see close up.
TV moved back to approx. 8ft from me.
Squinting is my new normal. And I still slap at the cat once in a while.
Why would you get the second eye done when the first didn’t go well? Did you use the same doctor? I purposely had mine done 6 months apart in case things didn’t go well like I mentioned when you first posted. I was cautious because this happened to my mom and she never had the second eye done.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:11 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,300,195 times
Certainly nobody who needs glasses for distance lol. I remember my old man somehow got cataracts at 44 ( they assumed it was probably due to injuries sustained to the head because he played football in high school and college but weren’t sure). He wanted to get the surgery immediately but they said at the time in 1991 the technology and safety wasn’t quite there for a 44 year old for most docs to agree to do it at the size his cataracts were so he got it done at 51 in 1998, by then he had dropped to like -5.00 from the -3.00 he was most of his life due to how bad the cataracts got. I am now 42 myself and like -2.50 in both eyes since age 21 or so and my doc said nowadays since more and more people are nearsighted the second they are diagnose with cataracts they’re lining up to dump their glasses. Of course many do not realize that if they have astigmatism of 0.50 or more that generally they’ll still need glasses after the surgery. I think some day they’ll develop a lens to account for that but thus far you can only go glassless with just a negative diopter issue

Old 09-26-2023, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Not sure why some peeps get caddy's and others don't. My sister had them bad at age 60 and i am still fine at about the same age. My eye Doc said my eyes show a tiny bit on some machine but i got years to go.
Doc told me they’re happening earlier and earlier now. He suspects a few reasons. One is higher alcohol consumption in recent years. There’s always been a correlation to those who are heavier drinkers getting cataracts earlier. Other is more people nearsighted, nearsighted people, especially those who don’t wear contacts can’t wear sunglasses. More sun exposure tends to cause earlier cataracts. The average age of a person who is 20/20 their whole life getting cataracts is quite a bit later which is likely somehow connected to the sunglasses thing. His other theories are bad diets and maybe increased tablet/phone usage possibly aging the lens faster. He said now he doesn’t think if you took 10,000 70 year olds and examined them that more than 25% wouldn’t have cataracts showing. In 1993 he guesses it was probably 50-55% would have still been cataract free at 70

Old 09-27-2023, 12:20 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
Doc told me they’re happening earlier and earlier now. He suspects a few reasons. One is higher alcohol consumption in recent years. There’s always been a correlation to those who are heavier drinkers getting cataracts earlier. Other is more people nearsighted, nearsighted people, especially those who don’t wear contacts can’t wear sunglasses. More sun exposure tends to cause earlier cataracts. The average age of a person who is 20/20 their whole life getting cataracts is quite a bit later which is likely somehow connected to the sunglasses thing. His other theories are bad diets and maybe increased tablet/phone usage possibly aging the lens faster. He said now he doesn’t think if you took 10,000 70 year olds and examined them that more than 25% wouldn’t have cataracts showing. In 1993 he guesses it was probably 50-55% would have still been cataract free at 70
Also the use of prednisone for autoimmune diseases. It's a side effect if you use steroids and some people need them for life-threatening autoimmune conditions.

Old 09-27-2023, 07:18 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
There is a correlation between steroid use and early onset of cataracts. It has only been in the last few years that they learned the correlation extends to inhaled steroid use, so a lot of people who used asthma inhalers (not rescue inhalers) at some point in their lives can expect to get cataracts at a younger age.

"I think some day they’ll develop a lens to account for that but thus far you can only go glassless with just a negative diopter issue"

"The Clareon® PanOptix® Trifocal Hydrophobic IOL is a type of multifocal lens (sometimes called “presbyopia-correcting IOL”) designed to allow for clear distance, intermediate, and near vision with the potential to be more independent of the need to use glasses for daily tasks...The Clareon® Aspheric Toric, Clareon® PanOptix® Toric, and Clareon® Vivity® Toric IOLs are also designed to correct pre-existing corneal astigmatism, which is the inability of the eye to focus clearly at any distance because of difference curvatures on the cornea, and provide distance vision."

I've been corrective-lenses-free since my surgery for the first time since I was in the 7th grade. I passed the DMV vision exam without glasses or contacts for the first time in my life.

I'm happy with my results, but damn, they weren't cheap.

https://www.myalcon.com/cataracts/cl...iols/panoptix/

Old 09-27-2023, 08:28 PM

5,969 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
There is a correlation between steroid use and early onset of cataracts. It has only been in the last few years that they learned the correlation extends to inhaled steroid use, so a lot of people who used asthma inhalers (not rescue inhalers) at some point in their lives can expect to get cataracts at a younger age.

"I think some day they’ll develop a lens to account for that but thus far you can only go glassless with just a negative diopter issue"

"The Clareon® PanOptix® Trifocal Hydrophobic IOL is a type of multifocal lens (sometimes called “presbyopia-correcting IOL”) designed to allow for clear distance, intermediate, and near vision with the potential to be more independent of the need to use glasses for daily tasks...The Clareon® Aspheric Toric, Clareon® PanOptix® Toric, and Clareon® Vivity® Toric IOLs are also designed to correct pre-existing corneal astigmatism, which is the inability of the eye to focus clearly at any distance because of difference curvatures on the cornea, and provide distance vision."

I've been corrective-lenses-free since my surgery for the first time since I was in the 7th grade. I passed the DMV vision exam without glasses or contacts for the first time in my life.

I'm happy with my results, but damn, they weren't cheap.

https://www.myalcon.com/cataracts/cl...iols/panoptix/
My understanding of the lens that you mentioned is that it is very versatile and often totally eliminates the need for glasses. However, the tradeoff is that the QUALITY of vision at any particular distance (such as FAR distance) is not as good as if you had the single vision FAR/DISTANCE lens installed.

In other words, you trade off a bit of quality of vision at certain distances in order to gain greater versatility of vision over the broad range (close, intermediate, and far) of distances.

If you want the absolute best/clearest vision at ALL distances, then get the single vision IOL for FAR/DISTANCE installed, and then buy some glasses for use at intermediate and close usage.

Old 09-28-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
My understanding of the lens that you mentioned is that it is very versatile and often totally eliminates the need for glasses. However, the tradeoff is that the QUALITY of vision at any particular distance (such as FAR distance) is not as good as if you had the single vision FAR/DISTANCE lens installed.

In other words, you trade off a bit of quality of vision at certain distances in order to gain greater versatility of vision over the broad range (close, intermediate, and far) of distances.

If you want the absolute best/clearest vision at ALL distances, then get the single vision IOL for FAR/DISTANCE installed, and then buy some glasses for use at intermediate and close usage.
Some people can be used to the lesser vision as a result of wearing contacts their whole life that aren’t quite getting them to 20-20. This happens to many people who are nearsighted and have about a 0.75 or 1.00 astigmatism in their eyes. They technically aren’t supposed to wear standard contacts, they’re supposed to wear torics but many do not due to cost or even aggravation and inconvenience if one eye is like 0.25 astigmatism and the other is 0.75 they’d have to buy 2 different contacts. as a result they can sort of be used to seeing 20/25 or 20/30 and are less bothered by that change. Those who have always seen 20/15 in their contacts or glasses are no doubt fussier or less happy after RLE or cataract surgery

Old 09-28-2023, 04:22 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post

My distance vision is 20/15 in one eye and 20/20 in the other. My up-close vision is as good as I ever remember it being. I can read the smallest font on anything without straining.

But it's not PERFECT. If I'm sitting at a desk I can see the screen perfectly, but if I'm looking over someone's shoulder I can't. But if I back up a little, then I can see it perfectly again. That's a limitation of being a tri-focal lens. Where these IOLs really give people trouble is with night vision, especially when driving, because bright lights in the dark have halos. They make a different (newer) lens for people who need better night vision that doesn't cause halos. The trade off is that the near vision isn't as good so most people will need reading glasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness