Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 06:15 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,906,711 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, when I developed cataracts I got this kind:

"The third common type of cataract, a posterior subcapsular cataract, occurs in the backmost layer of the cortex beneath the lens capsule. Unlike nuclear sclerotic and cortical cataracts, these cataracts are found more frequently in younger people and are fast-growing cataracts."

I couldn't get my surgery fast enough. My vision was deteriorating so quickly when I woke up each morning I could notice that my vision was worse than the day before. At one point I called the doctors office and begged them to move my appointment up. They were able to get me in about 10 days sooner.

I opted for the best available (at the time) trifocal IOL implant. It was also the most expensive. And worth every penny. I had worn corrective lenses for 40 years. Now the only glasses I wear are sunglasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 08:01 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,868 times
I had cataract surgery Feb 22 and Feb 28. Turned out I had a large one on the left and a small one on the right. I was very nervous going into, but it was nowhere near as scary as I had thought. I was amazed at the difference in my eyesight. Everyting is very bright and colorful. The negatives - I didn't know my house was so dirty with fingerprints and dust - shocked. Also when I look in the mirror I have aged 10 years. Glad I had it done. Go for my last checkup next Wednesday.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:09 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Unfortunately, when I developed cataracts I got this kind:

"The third common type of cataract, a posterior subcapsular cataract, occurs in the backmost layer of the cortex beneath the lens capsule. Unlike nuclear sclerotic and cortical cataracts, these cataracts are found more frequently in younger people and are fast-growing cataracts."

I couldn't get my surgery fast enough. My vision was deteriorating so quickly when I woke up each morning I could notice that my vision was worse than the day before. At one point I called the doctors office and begged them to move my appointment up. They were able to get me in about 10 days sooner.

I opted for the best available (at the time) trifocal IOL implant. It was also the most expensive. And worth every penny. I had worn corrective lenses for 40 years. Now the only glasses I wear are sunglasses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I had cataract surgery Feb 22 and Feb 28. Turned out I had a large one on the left and a small one on the right. I was very nervous going into, but it was nowhere near as scary as I had thought. I was amazed at the difference in my eyesight. Everyting is very bright and colorful. The negatives - I didn't know my house was so dirty with fingerprints and dust - shocked. Also when I look in the mirror I have aged 10 years. Glad I had it done. Go for my last checkup next Wednesday.
Mrs. NBP relates to both of these, her vision was going so quickly she also could almost see a difference from day to day. In her case she had worn glasses for 50 years. She didn't remember that one could actually differentiate leaves on trees from a distance. Or see airplanes in the sky.

Hers had gotten so bad she couldn't drive at night due to the oncoming headlight's starbursts. She now only wears drugstore cheater glasses for very small print or when she does her nails

As above, worth every penny plus more.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:59 AM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Mrs. NBP relates to both of these, her vision was going so quickly she also could almost see a difference from day to day. In her case she had worn glasses for 50 years. She didn't remember that one could actually differentiate leaves on trees from a distance. Or see airplanes in the sky.

Hers had gotten so bad she couldn't drive at night due to the oncoming headlight's starbursts. She now only wears drugstore cheater glasses for very small print or when she does her nails

As above, worth every penny plus more.
As for starburst effect while driving at night, yes cataract surgery can alleviate that. But with normal vision also drivers have difficulty with the glare of night time driving. Car lights are just super bright now. They also sit higher because there are more large SUV AND TRUCKS on the roads now, so they angle directly at your eyes.
It is bad enough you can see youtube videos on how to manage safe night time driving for everyone. There are tips on how to avoid looking at headlights, look up and into far distance etc. I got some night time driving glasses that I can wear over my contacts and also glasses if I am wearing those. It helps a lot.
I notice that contrasts in dark is less now, which is die to cataracts. I could see different objects in a dark room, some throw more light, like the bed with white shhets. But that contrast has now diminished.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:50 PM

1,200 posts, read 620,853 times
No, not because I don't want to have the surgery but because the one surgeon I did see refused to do it because I'm blind in one eye. I need to get more opinions because I would like to have the cats removed from my good eye.

Old 03-19-2023, 11:30 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,329,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
No, not because I don't want to have the surgery but because the one surgeon I did see refused to do it because I'm blind in one eye. I need to get more opinions because I would like to have the cats removed from my good eye.
Like legally blind but you still can see blur vision with that eye.
Then go to a different eye surgeon to remove the cataract, before it got worst and you see nothing through that eye and lost your balance.
Cataract can be removed from a bad eye or a good one.

Old 03-19-2023, 02:53 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Like legally blind but you still can see blur vision with that eye.
Then go to a different eye surgeon to remove the cataract, before it got worst and you see nothing through that eye and lost your balance.
Cataract can be removed from a bad eye or a good one.

I think some surgeons may be more reluctant to remove the cataract from the good eye of a person who has lost the sight in the other eye, just in case something goes wrong with the surgery and the good eye's sight becomes compromised in some way. That would leave the person virtually blind. Or the surgeon may do the cataract surgery but would wait until the cataracts are "mature" and there is no alternative to the surgery.

My brother, who lost an eye from a tragic accident when he was five, says he has had discussions with his eye doctor about that. Fortunately, he doesn't seem to have a problem with his vision in his good eye and if he has a cataract in that eye, it's small enough not to be a problem.

Old 03-19-2023, 04:08 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post

Exactly the same for me except my surgeries were a month apart and both cataracts were whoppers. The surgeries were a piece of cake, the difference in eyesight afterwards was mind blowing and I realised my housekeeping skills had been lacking and I'd suddenly acquired wrinkles!

Old 03-19-2023, 10:50 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
The longer you delay cataract surgery the shorter the time you go blind. Wouldn't you like to have better sharper vision and no worries about going blind? It's a no brainer.

Old 03-20-2023, 10:39 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,906,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
The longer you delay cataract surgery the shorter the time you go blind. Wouldn't you like to have better sharper vision and no worries about going blind? It's a no brainer.
I understand the reluctance to have surgery. There is a lot of anxiety having somebody dig something out of your eye while fully awake and putting something new in its place. The experience wasn't horrible, especially considered to other more invasive surgeries, but it definitely wasn't pleasant.

IOLs are getting better every year. When I got mine I got 'the best' possible ones implanted. A year later, a new one was on the market that was potentially even better, although I may have still gone with the Panoptix.

On the other hand, doesn't everything heal faster and better when one is younger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness