Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 09:32 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times

Advertisements

Count me among those who who have decided NOT to have cataract surgery and among those who feel it's a racket. A huge new industry revenue source having little to do with patient need or benefit.

A few years ago I was making yearly ophthalmologist visits after treatment for my second retina tears. Central to those visits were measurements for cataracts and their degree of progression. Their spiel was that everyone is gonna need cataract surgery at some point and their push was for sooner, not later. Of course.

I think back 50-60 years ago and cataract surgery was never a thing. Very few ever had it and most older folks did just fine without it. Like I'm doing today.

They threw out these meaningless numbers like right now I'm a 3, will have to have surgery at 4, and at 5 it's all over. Those numbers are just for example - I don't remember or care what my "real" numbers were.

It was clear to me that these annual visits were purely a revenue stream. Present and future revenue stream. So I ended them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 09:35 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Cataract surgery generally corrects nearsightedness. so no need for Lasik. My Mom had a -9 prescription before cataract surgery, and is near 20/20 now without glasses. She has to wear glasses mostly for prism correction, as her eyes don't converge properly.
That is good to know. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2023, 10:17 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,998 times
I don’t know if I will. Only my L eye is correctable for glasses, R eye is legally blind, so if anything goes wrong with the surgery, it would be terrible. Right now I just have some blurring. My husband had both eyes done about 8 years ago and he’s glad he did.

Old 03-12-2023, 10:51 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Count me among those who who have decided NOT to have cataract surgery and among those who feel it's a racket. A huge new industry revenue source having little to do with patient need or benefit.

A few years ago I was making yearly ophthalmologist visits after treatment for my second retina tears. Central to those visits were measurements for cataracts and their degree of progression. Their spiel was that everyone is gonna need cataract surgery at some point and their push was for sooner, not later. Of course.

I think back 50-60 years ago and cataract surgery was never a thing. Very few ever had it and most older folks did just fine without it. Like I'm doing today.

They threw out these meaningless numbers like right now I'm a 3, will have to have surgery at 4, and at 5 it's all over. Those numbers are just for example - I don't remember or care what my "real" numbers were.

It was clear to me that these annual visits were purely a revenue stream. Present and future revenue stream. So I ended them.

My great aunt, and my great grandmother were virtually blind from cataracts. I recall this as a kid in the 1950's, when cataract surgery was a lot more cumbersome then, with patients having to stay in the hospital for days with their heads held motionless for the most part. This surgery was not widely available, and the outcomes weren't as spectacularly successful as they are these days.

I have never had an opthalmologist tell me, or know of anyone else being told that cataract surgery was inevitable for everyone. On the contrary, the standard indication for cataract surgery has been when the cataracts cause vision loss/disturbances that cannot be corrected to 20/25 using corrective lenses. I've read, been told any number of times that while most people develop cataracts as they age, the cataracts take years to become large or bad enough to cause that amount of vision loss, and some people's cataracts never get that bad. So these people have cataracts, but they don't cause enough vision loss to be a problem, and these people don't need cataract surgery, and may never need it.

Old 03-12-2023, 11:13 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
I had both my eyes done since the first of the year. I've been wearing glasses since I was 12 years old. I got the toric lenses because I have astigmatism. I have one more appointment left to check on my vision but my distant vision is 20/20 now and I may need some readers but I can see close up pretty well.

I did delay a couple of months due to some circumstances but I was forced to do it. Almost blind in my left eye and my right eye was going down hill too.

Old 03-12-2023, 11:52 AM

30,429 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Not sure why some peeps get caddy's and others don't. My sister had them bad at age 60 and i am still fine at about the same age. My eye Doc said my eyes show a tiny bit on some machine but i got years to go.

Old 03-12-2023, 12:31 PM

15,425 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Not sure why some peeps get caddy's and others don't. My sister had them bad at age 60 and i am still fine at about the same age. My eye Doc said my eyes show a tiny bit on some machine but i got years to go.
Some of it's genetic, some of it is exposure to UV from sunlight.

Old 03-12-2023, 12:34 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Yeah, I expect I'll probably get it done in my 70's. There's certainly no rush to do it. My vision is not impacted at all by them. I was actually shocked that I had the beginnings of cataracts. I don't think of myself as old enough to have them, lol.

Old 03-12-2023, 12:59 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

DH just had his first eye done last week, and his vision is markedly improved. He had it done in order to see better.

I fail to understand how you would trust your doctor about treating retinal tears and think he does not know what he is talking about with regard to cataracts.

I take it you never saw someone 60 - 60 years ago wearing heavy, thick glasses that made them look like owls.

Old 03-12-2023, 02:28 PM

30,429 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Some of it's genetic, some of it is exposure to UV from sunlight.
I am in perfect health and spent my whole life offshore fishing in bright light. My sister had everything wrong with her so i wonder if bad health has a effect? Her Kidneys went and had many other probs and passed away at age 66. I am 59. I just got bad eyes and ears, but no caddy's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness