Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 09:58 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If you're still wearing a mask, I don't think you've "let go of the fear paranoia."
Still masking in places where sick people hang out like doctor’s offices and airplanes. 3 of the 4 times I’ve been seriously sick in the past ten years are the result of air travel. Lots of flying in 2021 and more butt in seat miles than ever in 2022 and nary a sniffle while masking on planes even when I’ve been stuck next to another passenger who was pretty sick with something or other.

Summer 2023 travel may not be as epic as summer 2022 travel was but we’re putting the plan together now and the schedule is tight enough that getting sick for a week would screw up a lot of cool stuff downstream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 01:06 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
We got it in October 2022 as well, oddly so did my brother and his wife and they are 2,000 miles away. Bad month I guess.

Like you we had very mild symptoms despite being in our mid-60's, getting the 3rd booster a month ago I'm sure contributed to that.
We got COVID for the first time in November 2022 - also mid-60s with mild symptoms - the main issue was unable to smell for about 3 weeks and a lingering cough.

Old 01-24-2023, 03:06 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Hopefully this passes muster.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/20/covi...top-risks.html

‘Utterly unprepared’: Larry Summers says another Covid-scale problem is a top economic risk

"...They included the possibility of the Covid-19 virus mutating again, .
I am not into the medical/ Pharma field, but in my opinion, Covid is here to stay. It will keep on mutating and eventually become just like the annual flu.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:55 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Kindly read the first post in this thread. The moderator would prefer that any vax vs unvax conversations be conducted in the Politics forum rather than here.
That's fine; I was just wandering through anyway. Not something I dwell on, thank God!

Old 01-24-2023, 06:28 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
By now, don't we know that we should treat it like any other flu? That is, stay home if you are symptomatic or have immune system issues.
The problem is that unlike other illnesses, COVID-19 can be spread when the person is asymptomatic. And asymptomatic coronavirus infections can contribute to over 50% of spread.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:39 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
I'm not. I wear a 3M Aura at work or while shopping. I haven't eaten inside a restaurant since March 2020. A 1/10 chance of long COVID is not worth it to me, I've had friends who have by now had multiple COVID infections, and I do not want to risk any long term complications. Even if COVID magically disappeared I'd probably wear a mask from Nov 1 - Mar 1 every year and any time I got on a plane. Getting sick sucks and it's pretty cool to go 3 years without getting sick at all.
You do you. I got fully vaccinated in 2021 and got a mild case of Omicron last January 2022. Missed a whole day of work on a Friday (I work from home) and by Sunday I was able to get my 10,000 steps in. I haven't needed a booster, and I haven't been sick either, even when my wife caught BA-5 in July despite being Fully Boosted at the time.

My amulet has been the Vitamin D3 tablets that I take in the winter months, combined with general overall good health. Other people use a rabbit's foot, St. Christopher medal, boosters, and/or various types of masks depending on their underlying conditions. It's up to the individual.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:44 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The problem is that unlike other illnesses, COVID-19 can be spread when the person is asymptomatic. And asymptomatic coronavirus infections can contribute to over 50% of spread.
Well, OK but again if you have a compromised immune system, you should take precautions such as staying at home or always wearing a mask. A lady from our church was recently wearing a mask at Soup Kitchen because she's getting chemo. Other elderly people at church have never stopped wearing masks, as well as our unvaccinated hairdresser. The bottom line is people need to take responsibility for their choices.

Nobody has spread the disease to me, except the person to spread me Omicron a little over a year ago. Luckily (or skillfully) I was vaccinated, and the case was mild. Even when my wife caught BA-5 in July she didn't spread it to me. Good health is the best defense, if you can do it.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:47 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If you're still wearing a mask, I don't think you've "let go of the fear paranoia."
Yeah. If wearing a mask is the metric, then I haven't "let go of the fear paranoia."

Old 01-24-2023, 07:50 AM

792 posts, read 496,632 times
When it's raining, I'm not wearing a raincoat because I am in fear of the rain. I just don't want to get rained on.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:48 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Not sure how everyone knows what version they had. For us, it spread like wildfire at an outdoor family event last summer. People had flown in from all over the country so there's no telling who started it and no one cares. Everyone had very mild cases. I was just extraordinarily fatigued for a couple of days.

All I can say is whatever variant we had, several of us lost significant amounts of hair, which is finally starting to grow back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness