Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 09:04 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Whereas I never masked and also haven't ever had COVID or even a cold since the start of the pandemic.

Correlation is not causation.

And unless it's a well-fitted N95 or greater, your mask is useless against viruses; possibly even harmful...

I suspect most posters (still) on this thread are terrified of it.

I'm here because I was just randomly scrolling through "New Posts."
I didn’t say correlation is causation. Still feel better with a mask, despite what the evidence says. It’s worked for me, and I’ll continue it. Even if it’s not backed up by “causation” evidence.

I usually use KN95s but if going into a medical facility or somewhere really crowded will use N95s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 09:05 PM

Quote:
....oh, and not vaxxed or boosted, either.

So some people didn't get the memo about touch transmission not being a thing.

Simply wash your hands before you touch food or an orifice (mouth, nose, eyes).

That goes for any virus, including the common cold; you can't sanitize the world.

These reactions are extremely neurotic...
Yup. I wash my hands frequently.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:06 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Still feel better with a mask, despite what the evidence says.
I agree that any benefit is purely psychological.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yup. I wash my hands frequently.
It isn't necessary to wash them "frequently"; just before you touch an orifice or food.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I prefer to live my life in a healthy manner with a good diet, proper exercise, low stress, reasonable precautions and a normal life style than to be in the chains of covid paranoia.
If you all are fine with what works for you carry on.
Yeah, many people I know have moved to this approach. I know a few people (mainly older) who seem to be permanently scared from the pandemic, and are still paranoid over COVID, and likely will be for the rest of their lives. I don’t entirely blame them. I’m relatively young and healthy, but it even took me a while to let go of the fear paranoia.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:16 PM

If you're still wearing a mask, I don't think you've "let go of the fear paranoia."

Old 01-23-2023, 09:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Whereas I never masked and also haven't ever had COVID or even a cold since the start of the pandemic.
That approach probably works well for those who are retired, live alone, and don't have much going on socially.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That approach probably works well for those who are retired, live alone, and don't have much going on socially.
Well, I'm not Howard Hughes or living in a cave. Even I go out among my fellow men and into society. Stores, malls, church, the library, museums, theaters, restaurants. Even the occasional SOCIAL gathering, believe it or not.

It's been my observation (anecdotally) among the people I know that it's the vaxxed and masked who've gotten Covid over and over; not the unvaxxed and unmasked, regardless of lifestyle.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Well, I'm not Howard Hughes or living in a cave. Even I go out among my fellow men and into society. Stores, malls, church, the library, museums, theaters, restaurants. Even the occasional SOCIAL gathering, believe it or not.

It's been my observation (anecdotally) among the people I know that it's the vaxxed and masked who've gotten Covid over and over; not the unvaxxed and unmasked, regardless of lifestyle.
Kindly read the first post in this thread. The moderator would prefer that any vax vs unvax conversations be conducted in the Politics forum rather than here.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:37 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
My sister who almost died from COVID is understandably cautious, but not paranoid. She is back to the office three days a week, and she just stays mostly at her work station. At one point this past week, she was called to come to the conference room, which turned out to be full of her coworkers with a cake for her birthday. She stayed by the door and a coworker brought her a piece. She said everyone understands how she feels. Her husband just died in November so everybody is being super nice. Plus she sounds a bit like she is gasping for air when she speaks due to the damage to her trachea, even though she's actually breathing OK, but that probably makes them steer clear.

She doesn't wear a mask at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness