Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 07:36 AM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Hopefully this passes muster.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/20/covi...top-risks.html

‘Utterly unprepared’: Larry Summers says another Covid-scale problem is a top economic risk

"...They included the possibility of the Covid-19 virus mutating again, which he noted that no other panelist had brought up when discussing the global economic outlook.

Summers took part in the session alongside IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva, ECB President Christine Lagarde, French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire and Bank of Japan Governor Haruhiko Kuroda.

Summers said his top concerns were a resurgence of inflation because of a loss of central bank credibility; high debt in many regions and the potential need for "financial firefighting domestically and globally" if interest rates rise more than anticipated; hyper-populism impacting elections; and geopolitical risks in Asia and the Middle East providing a "potential destabilizing wildcard."

"I would note that the odds in my view are better than 50-50 that there will be a Covid-scale problem within the next 15 years and that the world is utterly unprepared for that eventuality," he said.
Larry Summers is always crying wolf about something, it's what he lives for...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2023, 08:02 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I have been wiping down cart handles before Covid. Young children sat in cart with diapers on, snotty noses, etc. People who don't wash their hands after the bathroom. Sneezes from previous cart pusher. Leaking packages of chicken and pork, with drips that have dried and cannot be seen. I'm not a germ phobe, but I do like a clean cart handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I agree. And if someone who is (knowingly or not) positive for COVID-19 and is holding on to the cart handles, coughing or sneezing, the next person touches it and then puts their hand to their nose, mouth or ear.... No thanks.
All these are good reasons to disinfect the shopping carts right away. I wonder how many virus infections we might have avoided if we'd been doing this long before Covid arrived?

Old 01-22-2023, 09:28 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
All these are good reasons to disinfect the shopping carts right away. I wonder how many virus infections we might have avoided if we'd been doing this long before Covid arrived?
I've been doing this for years, ever since I saw brown poop on a shopping cart seat at Target.

Old 01-22-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I've been doing this for years, ever since I saw brown poop on a shopping cart seat at Target.
Diapered kids shouldn't be allowed to sit where they do in those grocery carts. I don't know why that ever became an acceptable thing. If the kids can't walk, leave them with a sitter.

Old 01-22-2023, 03:03 PM

1,063 posts, read 907,865 times
to us, Covid is just another flu bug.

only my BIL has had it in our extended family.
he responded just like all the other "flus".
nothing extraordinary.

Old 01-22-2023, 04:31 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:

Most people make the germs stronger in their attempts to disinfect. The surface has to stay wait for several minutes for the germs to die. Most people just grab a wipe, wipe it and dry it and go. We end up making the germs able to survive disinfectants.

Old 01-22-2023, 07:48 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times
I have always cringed each time I was forced to touch a public item like a handrail or a bathroom door handle.
I use a paper towel or an elbow anytime I can.
Being in a hospital makes near militant about my safety habits.
No elevators and I bring my own safety wipes.
I’m pro mask at hospitals.

I’m not sure how I’d respond if I saw a brown “thing” on a shopping cart.
I think I’d request see the manager though to get them more aware/involved and proactive.
If I were the manager I’d want to know.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Most people make the germs stronger in their attempts to disinfect. The surface has to stay wait for several minutes for the germs to die. Most people just grab a wipe, wipe it and dry it and go. We end up making the germs able to survive disinfectants.
I've never seen a shopper dry what they just disinfected. Most wipe and go, caring little about the wet handle. Yes it does kill the germs, not make them stronger.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:38 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
I've never seen a shopper dry what they just disinfected. Most wipe and go, caring little about the wet handle. Yes it does kill the germs, not make them stronger.
It doesn't. because it dries too fast. I'm reading a cylinder of disinfectant wipes right now. It says the surface must be WET for 4 minutes. It dries in less than one minute. So if it takes 4 minutes to kill the germs, but it's actually wet for only 1 minute, than you make the germs a little sick, a few die, the strongest survive, and evolve to be resistant to disinfectant. I think the preponderous of use of antibacterial everything has made us sicker.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:37 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It doesn't. because it dries too fast. I'm reading a cylinder of disinfectant wipes right now. It says the surface must be WET for 4 minutes. It dries in less than one minute. So if it takes 4 minutes to kill the germs, but it's actually wet for only 1 minute, than you make the germs a little sick, a few die, the strongest survive, and evolve to be resistant to disinfectant. I think the preponderous of use of antibacterial everything has made us sicker.
Sorry, but that process makes no sense to me and it sounds like an inferior product. I just read my name brand wipes and it says to sanitize hard, nonporous surfaces: Wipe surface; use enough wipes for treated surfaces to remain visibly wet for 30 seconds and let surface dry.

I read labels at the store before I buy stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness