Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 02:02 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post

BTW, one thing I have always wondered is why the same dose of medication is considered therapeutic for everyone, no matter their size. As a petite woman, I have had many experiences of the standard dose being too strong and/or having strong therapeutic effects on what are not supposedly therapeutic dosages.
But metoprolol succinate and tartrate dosages aren't one-size-fits-all. Depending on what they're being used to treat (hypertension, heart failure, etc). There's a range in mg strengths and daily "maintenance" dosages. Drug info also discusses "initial" dosages as well as subsequent adjustments. Appears that this med at least is tailored to the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 06:14 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
But metoprolol succinate and tartrate dosages aren't one-size-fits-all. Depending on what they're being used to treat (hypertension, heart failure, etc). There's a range in mg strengths and daily "maintenance" dosages. Drug info also discusses "initial" dosages as well as subsequent adjustments. Appears that this med at least is tailored to the individual.
Ok, I do know that after an ER visit for an afib episode, the cardiologist I saw prescribed me 50mg metoprolol tartrate twice a day for … frankly I am not sure since I didn’t have hypertension or heart failure or even a high resting heart rate. I guess it was supposed to prevent afib epsiodes, although it is not an anti-arrhythmic medication. Anyway, I got the impression that he just prescribed me a standard dosage, but it was way, way too high for me. Whatever he based that dosage on, I don’t know, but I sincerely doubt my body mass was taken into consideration. We had to cut it down to 50mg, then 25mg so that I could cope with the side effects (not be a total zombie). Finally, I just stopped taking it on my own … and was completely fine for years ….

Old 08-11-2022, 05:02 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
Mine is 25mg a day. I also was started on 50mg and was practically catatonic. I doubt my weight was taken into consideration either as I was only 120 pounds. The 50mg made me laid up on the couch all day. So once I cut it in half it was much better.

I've taken a few more vitamins and made sure to hydrate myself a lot more and the palpitations seem to be lessening, so that's a positive.

Old 12-14-2023, 01:24 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I'm 77 and had heart issues for many years. I've been on Metroprol for about 10 years and recently had to decrease my dose as my heart rate was in the 40s. Just had a checkup with my cardiologist and he says my heart is just fine even with atrial flutter and pulmonary hypertension. I NEVE R worry. Take care
An Update: 10/23. I got a pacemaker at the urging of my cardiologist and now I feel much better, with more energy and I'm not so tired all the time. The pacemaker is set for my heart to beat a minimum of 60 bpm, which is a big improvement of my heart rate in the 40s.

Old 12-15-2023, 11:01 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Last week my caridologist told me that my PVCs are so seldom that I should relax about them, but to keep in mind that there was at least one other drug besides Metroprolol which could be prescribed as a substitute...but that it did have more side effects (I wasn't interested at this point, so I didn't ask what the drug was).

Old 12-15-2023, 02:26 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Last week my caridologist told me that my PVCs are so seldom that I should relax about them, but to keep in mind that there was at least one other drug besides Metroprolol which could be prescribed as a substitute...but that it did have more side effects (I wasn't interested at this point, so I didn't ask what the drug was).
There are a number of selective beta blockers:

https://www.drugs.com/compare/metoprolol-succinate-er
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness