Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 07:27 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times

Advertisements

I have the same problem, as do many other people as they age. I've discovered that I sleep the same whether I take anything or not but I feel a lot better and if I take nothing. So I take nothing. I've always been a night owl but started going to bed an hour earlier. I still wake up at the same time, but that means I'm getting at least a little more sleep.

If you don't get any exercise you have bigger problems that you need to solve. You aren't living a healthy lifestyle and taking something that comes in a pill isn't going to give you a healthier lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 07:32 PM

318 posts, read 179,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
No, I don't think a few beers on the weekend will do it. What about your weight? Waking up and not being able to go to sleep once a while is normal, not every night.
I weigh 183 lbs for a 6'1'' guy. Is that bad?

Old 09-01-2021, 10:11 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
OP, you need to watch this video. It's long and can get technical at times, but I promise it might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm1TxQj9IsQ

Old 09-02-2021, 01:26 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Jim, do you have a partner? I ask because it often helps if you get someone to rub your feet. I know it sounds weird, but computery stuff often stimulates the brain a lot and rubbing feet is said to bring the mental energy down the body more towards the feet. Try reading a book for 30 minutes before turning the light out. It is a different type of stimulation to watching your phone or computer screen so might just change things up a little.

The other thing I can think of is what some people have also suggested - in that it is your perception that you need to sleep longer and maybe your body does not need too much sleep. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher of the UK used to sleep only 3-4 hours a night even whilst she was PM for 2 terms(I think), so some people just dont need it. Their body works at a pace which allows for this.

I should have your hormones checked and general blood health and if those are OK, I should think it is probably a perception issue. Our minds are very powerful and can tell our body that we are still tired - even though the body itself has had enough sleep.

Old 09-02-2021, 01:33 AM

I have a partner but we do not live together and are on different work schedules, so she will more often in the week go to bed at a different time than me. But I can try it with her when we have a night to ourselves, and see, thanks.

I will watch the video, thanks. As for maybe only needing 4-5 hours a night, it's just I still feel tired after, so I thought maybe I need more therefore, but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 09-02-2021, 05:58 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhamilton View Post
I have a partner but we do not live together and are on different work schedules, so she will more often in the week go to bed at a different time than me. But I can try it with her when we have a night to ourselves, and see, thanks.

I will watch the video, thanks. As for maybe only needing 4-5 hours a night, it's just I still feel tired after, so I thought maybe I need more therefore, but maybe I'm wrong.

It doesn't sound like the sleep you're getting is enough for you, if it was, you wouldn't feel tired after waking up. 4 to 5 isn't enough for me either. My issue is I can't fall asleep. I have massive, chronic, back pain. My GP is ok prescribing generic Lunesta for me which helps a lot. I recommend it if you ever have issues falling asleep when nothing else works. Most prescribe generic Ambien which doesn't work for me. Everyone I know that takes sleeping pills, takes Lunesta. You may only need half a pill. It doesn't have a score line, I cut mine, I know others do too. I take half an hour or two before I want to fall asleep. Some nights it's all I need. You may have to consider finding a new GP if the one you see doesn't take your issues seriously.

I agree with Ruth that you need the hormone panel. I wondered that from the start. I had all sorts of issues starting at your age and into my 40's. I ended up taking an OTC hormone for sleep. Now it's rare for me to wake up unless I'm done sleeping.

I use midnite if I do get up which Walmart has for $8. It was originally for when you wake up during sleep, now they say it will also help you fall asleep which you don't need. Keep it next to the bed so you don't have to get up. One should help you get back to sleep, if it doesn't try a 2nd one. It's also natural. It works pretty quick since you dissolve it on your tongue. It doesn't make you sleep longer than you would, doesn't affect you after you wake up either.

On the page Choose the right MidNite product for you, I take the original one that has cherries on the package. I've never tried the PM one. You can experiment with it. Try it for when you wake up, if it doesn't work after taking a second, try taking it before bed the next night. Take another if you wake up. Do that for a week. If it doesn't work, consider going with the PM version.

Melatonin didn't work for me unless it was the brand natures bounty. They make a 5mg soft egg that dissolves pretty quick. Amazon has it for $10. Walgreens and Rite Aid usually have a buy 1 get 1 free sale if you want to try it. It used to help me get to sleep within an hour but that stopped working for me.

It's interesting that weed worked. There's a Delta 8 thread that I suggest you scan over. Someone gave me links for edibles. See my reply here. Read down to post 36. Lots of good information such as gummies can take hours to work if you're interested in them. Someone else posted that gummies don't work for them all of the time. I was thinking vape pen or sweets like a cookie or brownie. Hopefully it's not banned in your state. See the quote below.

I haven't tried it yet, I am considering it. If you go to the sites, you'll find some are specific for sleep. With edibles, you can take small amounts to see what will work. This is if you don't get drug tested at work like my son and hub do. If my son got into an accident, even one he didn't cause, Comcast makes them park their vans, do a drug screen.

I'm not one to tell you to exercise. Not everyone needs to or can find the time. Some people have jobs where they get enough exercise. I've always had very physical jobs, I didn't sit at a desk all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Delta 8 is not legal in Idaho. You may want to think about a "road trip"

https://mjbizdaily.com/more-states-b...ta-8-products/
The states that currently ban delta-8 THC entirely include Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Mississippi, Montana, Rhode Island and Utah.

Last edited by Roselvr; 09-02-2021 at 06:07 AM..

Old 09-02-2021, 06:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:

I think personally that you are focusing on this 4-5 hours of sleep a night like it's a bad thing. You may feel tired but it may not be because of a lack of sleep if that makes sense. Stress, vitamin deficiencies, hormones, and other things can cause fatigue.

You keep mentioning that you don't get regular exercise. I think this will help a lot. PLEASE INCORPORATE IT.

I wouldn't worry about 4-5 hours of sleep. For decades, that's all my body required. Now I get about 6 hours of sleep but it only recently went up to 6 hours. (I'm 59.)

I'm just saying it can be quite normal to only require 4-5 hours of sleep.

Old 09-02-2021, 01:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
I go to bed around the same time every night because of work. But I do work on the computer a lot in my job. But it's hard to help that since it's my job. I do have glasses that are supposed to help but not sure if they're helping enough maybe.
Around two years ago I started sleeping with a sleep mask and this helped a ton with staying asleep and sleep quality.

A few months ago I started doing a bedtime meditation before bed on an app. This really really helped my fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly through the night.

I am using Aaptiv, and I found around 3 dozen meditations that are 10-30 minutes. I pick the length based on how my brain is doing at bed time. This helps to quiet my brain and keeping me from waking up due to weird stuff. I have also done it if I wake up in the middle of the night to fall back asleep. Half of the time I fall asleep before it even ends. And wake up around 530 or so for a bathroom run and fall back asleep. (My bedtime is around 1130). I wake up around 7-730. Most of the time I sleep through most of the night. Anyway this made a big difference for me. I was doing it daily. Now I only need it a few days a week.

Old 09-02-2021, 07:23 PM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I was looking for something about alpha waves and found this: https://www.sleepfoundation.org/nois...binaural-beats

Old 09-03-2021, 08:22 PM

Okay thanks for the suggestion, I will try some of them. One thing I notice is that when I often wake up after only 4-5 hours of sleep, I am realy horny.

Could this be the reason why I am waking up almost everynight after only 4-5 hours, or not likely?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness